Honest opinions

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by kenenthk, Jun 29, 2013.

1. kenenthk
    OP

kenenthk Custom Title

May 26, 2013
    Burkina Faso
    I'm sort of wanting to do game commentary and not so sure if I have a good voice for it and was wondering if I could get your guy's thoughts, mind you theres a lot of background noise and not much emotion

http://picosong.com/ReJw/

2. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    Yea its better then most :)

3. kenenthk
    OP

kenenthk Custom Title

May 26, 2013
    Burkina Faso
    Thanks for that. :)

4. Sicklyboy

Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
    Not bad at all. I'd shoot for another test recording with much less background noise if possible so we can really get a good ear for what you sound like.

5. kenenthk
    OP

kenenthk Custom Title

May 26, 2013
    Burkina Faso
    My mic stand isnt proper at all lol have it riggered up badly and need to adjust a few levels so I need a new desk mic stand and a pop filter that noise was just the tv should be fine when turned off. :)

6. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Your speech seems clear enough with decent enunciation. Lose the background noise and maybe spring for a better microphone* (do that after you decide this is something you really want to do) and things will be good.

*how much of that was the noise and need to calibrate the mic/settings a bit more remains to be seen.

All that said if you took 15 minutes to either script something or jot down some key points you wanted to bring up in your commentary and after the footage is obtained watch through it and also script/note things to talk about and did a token bit of editing you would be streets ahead of your competition and that matters far more. By all means have a live commentary as well but cut it down and edit it as heavily as you would the video side of things.

kenenthk likes this.
  7. kenenthk
    OP

kenenthk Custom Title

May 26, 2013
    Burkina Faso
    My mics currently a co1u samssung condenser I Cant really afford high dollar mics, I've often heard putting a sock over it would help act as a pop filter, I've tried getting phantom powered ones i think it was called but never worked out. Heres a old rap I did not that great just done for fun

http://picosong.com/nAnm/ - starts at 30 seconds, has language fyi.

:) Think I sound completely different from that

8. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    In that case you have a fine microphone as far as internet stuff goes (by the looks of things that is entry level home studio) and just need to get it set up properly and use it properly. It sounds possibly like you had it in the wrong mode (cardioid and not speaking in the appropriate area -- blow a stream of air out of pursed lips and rotate the thing up and down and see the effect).

9. kenenthk
    OP

kenenthk Custom Title

May 26, 2013
    Burkina Faso
    Yeah it's usb powered so I dont need any extra this and that, thanks for the suggestions hopefully it works out

10. kenenthk
    OP

kenenthk Custom Title

May 26, 2013
    Burkina Faso
  11. ilman

ilman Gbatemp's Official Noise Eraser

Jul 25, 2010
    Shibuya
    You could do a couple of things to erase your background noise.
    First, turn off any TVs in the background(your first recording was just euggh...).
    Second, download Audacity(it's an amazing audio editing program). Whenever you record your game commentary, record the video only with the ingame audio. Record your microphone with something else. Always leave 5 secs without any talking in the beginning of every recording. Then, after you've recorded your commentary, open your mic recording with audacity and use the Noise Removal effect(there are instructions on how to use it). Then your recording will sound somewhat decent. Not the same as a high-end mic, but good enough for basic commentary.

12. kenenthk
    OP

kenenthk Custom Title

May 26, 2013
    Burkina Faso
    Keep in mind this was just a quick test so I didnt care about background noise, I usually mix down in adobe auditions.

13. ilman

ilman Gbatemp's Official Noise Eraser

Jul 25, 2010
    Shibuya
    Ohh, in that case, you're good. You sound way better than me at commentary. :lol: