Homeplugs have "power saving" mode

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by AdamBrunt, Sep 18, 2011.

1. AdamBrunt
    OP

AdamBrunt GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 24, 2003
    Hi,

A couple of weeks ago, after my comtrend homeplugs bit the dust, I purchased these and whilst they are working fine (and the speeds I am getting are excellent) they seem to have some sort of power saving mode built into them.

I use them to give my Wii a wired connection to the internet but when I turn the Wii on I need to run a couple of "internet connection tests" in order for the homeplugs to wake up and I have to do this now before I can use any app on the Wii. Once the test is done then everything is fine until the Wii has been turned off for a few hours.

Is there any way I can disable this "power saving" mode so that the homeplugs are always on ? Or alternatively is there any sort of app I can on the PC or Wii that constantly 'pings' the homeplugs ? Unlike the comtrend ones I did have, these homeplugs don't see to have their own IP addresses so I am not sure this would work anyway.

Regards,

Adam

2. Lucif3r

Lucif3r GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 10, 2011

Well if they have an IP... start -> cmd -> ping -t

Or you could always leave the Wii in connect24 mode (or whatever its called)

3. AdamBrunt
    OP

Jun 24, 2003
    I thought I tried that - I'll take another look

4. Lucif3r

Lucif3r GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 10, 2011
    If that doesnt help, the Wii should at least have an IP 24/7, and then you could ping it every now and then. If THAT doesnt work, I have no idea whats wrong lol.

5. AdamBrunt
    OP

Jun 24, 2003
    The wii was already in connect24 mode and the homeplug still goes into sleep mode.

Ob well, it's a small price to pay for now - only takes a few internet "connection tests" to wake it up so not too bad.

6. PsyBlade

PsyBlade Snake Charmer

Jul 30, 2009
    Gambia, The
    Sol III
    How about returning them and getting some working ones?

7. Lucif3r

Lucif3r GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 10, 2011
    I dont know how your internet connection setup looks like in your house, I also dont know what the prices are where you live.
    But here at least, decent homeplugs costs the same as a decent wireless router, if not more.

That would be the best option tbh, and just use the Wii's wireless connection.

Ive never been a fan of homeplugs, as Ive always found them unreliable and slow, compared to similar priced wireless routers.

8. AdamBrunt
    OP

Jun 24, 2003
    Wifi in my house (very thick internal walls) is absolutely painful compared to homeplugs.

9. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    get the Apower ones they don't have sleep mode i use them on my pc all the time.

10. PsyBlade

PsyBlade Snake Charmer

Jul 30, 2009
    Gambia, The
    Sol III
    try something like pinging the wii from the pc every 10min
    and maybe try pinging other ports too
    80 for example
    you wont get a reply but maybe it keeps the plugs awake