USB/PCI Buying/finding guide

TL;DR: If you want a USB card that works on linux and windows, try to find a TP-Link TL-WN722N. For windows you need the driver mentioned in the linux section.

Ok, so we already know that if you want a single piece of network hardware to do this Homepassing, you can go with the Sanoxy Wireless N repeater*.
However, what if you don't want to get a repeater? What if you just want to get a dongle that works with your current computer, that allows you to homepass? Information on this has been fairly scarce, with most just commenting either that they got it working, or it doesn't work. This is somewhat frustrating, because the information of what exactly is or isn't working isn't usually addressed.
To start with, what dongles work depends on a couple things, those being, what driver is being used, and what chipset the card uses, that the driver is interacting with.
These are important because if either is different, they may not work.
So, I'm starting this so I can catalog which cards do work, and which don't, and provide that information to you.
I should note that I do not own a Mac anything, so if you want help with Mac OSX, I'm pretty much out. If you have information you can submit to this topic, make sure it is as complete as you can make it, and I'll thank you in the guide. At a minimum I'd need your Operating System (version numbers included except in Win 7/8's case), your card model and version number (if it has one), and preferably what driver you're using, though I should be able to figure out what drivers work based on the other information.
If any of these work for multiple Operating Systems and I know they do, I will mention it.
So an example submission would be:
  • OS: Lubuntu 13.04 (include kernel version if it's not default AND the driver's built in to it)
  • Card: TP-Link TL-WN722N
  • Driver: atk9k_htc
And if your method of making it work is different than the normal method, please mention that as well. For example, I followed the guide @ adafruit to set up everything, and now just type
Code:
service hostapd stop;ifconfig wlan0 down;ifdown wlan0;ifconfig wlan0 hw ether 4e53504f4f46;sleep 2;service hostapd start;ifconfig wlan0 192.168.42.1
each time I want to change the MAC. I do that because I want to work on my typing skills and I like doing things manually.
Anyway... Currently known working cards are as follows:
Windows 7, 8 (not XP, Vista)

-
  • interface: USB
  • Chipset:RTL8188CUS/RTL8192CU
  • Cards: Monoprice Ultra Mini N Adapter (88CUS) {$7.44}, LB-Link BL-RTL8188-2B** (88CUS) {$9.97}, adafruit miniature Wireless N adapter (92CU) {$11.95}
  • Driver: November 8th,2012 RTL819xCU_AutoInstallPackage.zip
  • Driver download location: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1053652/RTL819xCU_AutoInstallPackage.zip You can also find it on realtek's website, but they change their passwords every couple days, I think.
  • Method: Instead of netsh or Virtual Router Manager, this driver comes with a utility that works just as well. Macshift, then enable softAP, disable it, repeat. Utility relies on netsh functions, so while it won't work on XP, it should work with The Mac cycling programs out there. Inversely you should be able to manually install the driver through device manager and use Virtual Router Manager or the command-line netsh instead of installing Realtek's utility.
Of those I'd recommend the adafruit one or the Monoprice one, as LB-Link doesn't appear to like to label their products.
-

• Interface: Half-mini PCIe
  • Chipset: Broadcom BRCM4313
  • Cards: Entering BRCM4313 or BCM4313 on amazon/ebay brings results.
  • Driver: depends on specific card, for my Broadcom BCM94313HMGB I use this.
  • method: you can assign a "locally administered mac address" through the driver in windows. Macshift works too, pretty fast at mac switching. Virtual Router or netsh should get the job done fine.
  • notes: It might work on linux with the WL driver pack, but with the brcmsmac driver, it refuses to connect or broadcast when you change the MAC. Didn't get a chance to test with WL driver. Also, since this is mini-PCIe, your manufacturer has to let you install it to your laptop. I know HP only allows certain models in each of their laptops, Don't know about other manufacturers.
-
  • Interface: PCIe or Mini PCIe or half-mini PCIe
  • Chipset: Atheros AR9281
  • Cards: (PCIe)EDUP EP9601 {$17.70}, (Mini PCIe) Azurewave AW-NE771 {$5.99+shipping}, (Half-Mini PCIe) AzureWave AW-NE771H
  • Driver: Linux: Ath9k, Windows: 9.2.0.105 here
  • Notes: should work on Windows and Linux since the other ath9x series works under linux. For those not aware, PCIe is for desktops, mini PCIe is for laptops, and half-mini PCIe is for newer laptops and most netbooks. Google pictures, look at your laptop/desktop, and if the current card is one size (like mini) don't get another (like half-mini). Laptop cards can be vendor locked, so find your laptop's manual or disassembly guide and see if it lists compatible cards. If not, try contacting your company's support (assuming it's free to talk to them) and ask them if they can tell you what internal wireless cards are compatible with your laptop.
Linux

-
  • interface: USB
  • Chipset: Atheros AR9271
  • Cards: TP-Link TL-WN721N{$14.99}, TL-WN722N{$15.99}, Alfa AWUS036NHA{$28.99}
  • Driver: Ath9k_htc (linux), whql 9.2.0.19 (windows 7)***
  • Method: Seems to differ between distros/devices. On my laptop with Lubunutu 13.04, ifconfig hw ether didn't seem to work, so I had to use macchanger. On my Raspberry Pi running Raspbian (ARM hardfloat, Wheezy), ifconfig hw ether works fine.
  • Notes: Also works on Windows 7. maybe 8 too if you use the win7 driver.
Of the 3 I'd recommend the 722N because it's been reviewed well by many people, and I own one , love it.

-
  • Interface: USB, Mini PCIe, Half-mini PCIe, Mini PCI
  • Chipset: Ralink RT3070
  • Cards: Belkin F6D4050 {$19.99} (v1 and v2, there is no v3), ALFA AWUS036NH {$29.99}, TP-LINK TL-WN7200ND {$22.56}
  • Driver: rt2800usb
  • Method: Spillpass Pi, or manual setup.
  • Notes: Don't know if it works in windows, I actually have the AWUS036NH but it's currently in use... I'll test when I get a chance. Also about high-power adapters, or AWUS036NH in particular (not sure if it's all high power cards or just it) it can randomly screw up and just stop working until you unplug it and plug it back in. Doesn't happen often but it doesn't seem to have a trigger. So, perhaps a tad unreliable.
I should note chipset AR9002U-2NGworks on linux as well, but does not seem to be easy to find.

That's all I've got for now. RTL8188SU can get a changed MAC (linux) but since its driver isn't compatible with cfg80211, nl80211, it won't produce an access point.
*: Thanks to Tane here and BillyBobXray on Reddit for posting this. Configuration details for the sanoxy repeater can be found here: http://goo.gl/FNvTMA
**: Thanks to Dynastid here, for pointing out her LB-Link adapter works perfectly for this.
***: Thanks to Keyra for finding a driver that makes the 9271's work with mac spoofing and hostednetwork on windows :D

Blacklist

So there are some chipsets you should never buy, ever. Somehow these products make it to market. I assume there's a lack of quality control somewhere.
  • Ralink RT3290
  • speed drops all over the place, driver errors cause downloads to be corrupted. No driver seems to completely solve the issues.

Reactions: Margen67 and Duo8

yamfun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
I want to emphasis, for TL-WN722N, the latest official driver won't work, use the Atheros AR9271 mentioned above.

P.S. this driver would give me random blue screen of death of "BAD POOL CALLER" though

Update:
Eventually the BSOD became more and more serious and there are more different BSOD error message such as sth like "service termination" or "memory management".
I had to buy a TP-LINK WR841N wireless router for DD-WRT to avoid it.
Also, the USB driver seems to restrict the MAC to start with 6E, so maybe you can't SP with people who can SP on MAC starting with 4E, 02, 40...etc.
So if anyone use Windows 7 and is planning to get a TL-WN722N, I suggest you to get the router instead, their price are similar.

Liberty

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Can anyone guarantee that buying a new device will fix these issues?
http://gbatemp.net/threads/need-help-with-homepass.368013/

I want something that is compatible with MacCycler and doesn't cost tons of money. But I'm scared to buy anything now.

Which chipset is more compatible, RTL8188CUS or RTL8192CU? I have the one mentioned over here and it doesn't seem to work, but like I stated in my thread I'm not sure if the chipset isn't compatible or Windows is just behaving nuts.

Best solution would surely be a Sanoxy, but it's too expensive and not available in my country.

Kouen Hasuki

Coffee Addict
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I have one here it is RTL8188CU

Attachments

• Adapter.JPG
    Adapter.JPG
    17.6 KB · Views: 620

Liberty

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I first tried using the default Windows 8.1 - driver since it had a higher version and wasn't from 2012. But my 3DS would refuse to connect. Next I tried the driver the OP provided above (the same that's on the Realtek-website) and it crashed my system. I'm glad I had a backup, wouldn't even go to the welcome screen any longer. Now I setup a Virtual Machine with Windows 7 and will give it a go with the 2012-driver again.

€: Wohoo, seems to work with the VM.

Kouen Hasuki

Coffee Addict
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I first tried using the default Windows 8.1 - driver since it had a higher version and wasn't from 2012. But my 3DS would refuse to connect. Next I tried the driver you provided above (the same that's on the Realtek-website) and it crashed my system. I'm glad I had a backup, wouldn't even go to the welcome screen any longer. Now I setup a Virtual Machine with Windows 7 and will give it a go with the 2012-driver again.

€: Wohoo, seems to work with the VM.

Erm... bro? I Never linked any driver. You're confusing me with the OP

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
I've been using a Ralink RT3090 802.11n WiFi Adapter on Windows 8 x64 for a while now to Homepass just fine but I cannot use the Custom MAC address function.

When I view what the MAC address has changed to it is offset a few digits compared to what address MACycle says I am connected to, I think this is the reason why I can't use a custom MAC. Is there a way to fix this?

endoverend

AKA zooksman
Trophies
Website
zooksman.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm using a generic RTL8188CUS card, and it works fine in windows, but not in linux (raspbian). Hostapd doesn't like the driver it uses, and setting up the official realtek driver has not worked for me. Also, is there any way to make the broadcasting of a wireless adapter better range-wise? I can currently only connect the 3DS on the same floor as the computer.

BerserkLeon

Not-so-new member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, this is still around. Sorry I haven't been around to update/answer. I haven't been here in months. Must've left just before the second post :(
I haven't homepassed at all in that amount of time. But Pokemon's coming soon, so there will probably be reason for me to start again.

I can't test win8 because I'm not allowed to install it. Win 10 is on its way and when that comes I'll be able to update to it, though.

I'll have to look into getting a slightly wider variety of chipsets.
I'm using a generic RTL8188CUS card, and it works fine in windows, but not in linux (raspbian). Hostapd doesn't like the driver it uses, and setting up the official realtek driver has not worked for me. Also, is there any way to make the broadcasting of a wireless adapter better range-wise? I can currently only connect the 3DS on the same floor as the computer.
RTL8188CUS was mentioned working in the windows section. So that's not surprising, I would guess no work has been done on the linux driver to get this sort of thing working.
As for the range, there's not much you can do, aside from making sure the channels are relatively clear of any interference. If you want more range you'll probably need a card that has an RP-SMA connector for an antenna... or any sort of antenna, really.
The RTL chipsets tend to be on the tiniest dongles that just have a little trace on their PCB as their antenna... So they don't get much range.
Sorry I'm usually by my computer when I want to homepass.
I've been using a Ralink RT3090 802.11n WiFi Adapter on Windows 8 x64 for a while now to Homepass just fine but I cannot use the Custom MAC address function.

When I view what the MAC address has changed to it is offset a few digits compared to what address MACycle says I am connected to, I think this is the reason why I can't use a custom MAC. Is there a way to fix this?

Probably not. If you ask your card to set it to 11:22:33:44:55:66 and it sets it to 2e:22:33:44:55:66... or anything besides 11:22 etc then it's probably a driver problem or a windows problem. I've tried getting around it and there's really nothing one can do. You'll probably just have to try to find real MAC addresses that incorporate that.. which would be nearly impossible, or find people who will populate certain MACs for you so you can homepass... Or get a different card :(

I want to emphasis, for TL-WN722N, the latest official driver won't work, use the Atheros AR9271 mentioned above.

P.S. this driver would give me random blue screen of death of "BAD POOL CALLER" though

Update:
Eventually the BSOD became more and more serious and there are more different BSOD error message such as sth like "service termination" or "memory management".
I had to buy a TP-LINK WR841N wireless router for DD-WRT to avoid it.
Also, the USB driver seems to restrict the MAC to start with 6E, so maybe you can't SP with people who can SP on MAC starting with 4E, 02, 40...etc.
So if anyone use Windows 7 and is planning to get a TL-WN722N, I suggest you to get the router instead, their price are similar.

Drivers for the same chipset can be used interchangeably most of the time. I think when my 722N was working it was using a driver from atheros.cz. I've only ever had bluescreens from that when it's plugged into a usb 3.0 port.

endoverend

AKA zooksman
Trophies
Website
zooksman.com
XP
Country
United States
RTL8188CUS was mentioned working in the windows section. So that's not surprising, I would guess no work has been done on the linux driver to get this sort of thing working.
As for the range, there's not much you can do, aside from making sure the channels are relatively clear of any interference. If you want more range you'll probably need a card that has an RP-SMA connector for an antenna... or any sort of antenna, really.
The RTL chipsets tend to be on the tiniest dongles that just have a little trace on their PCB as their antenna... So they don't get much range.
Sorry I'm usually by my computer when I want to homepass.

Thanks for your answer!!
I might try a different adapter then, do you know if RTL8192CU works on raspberry pi (linux)? If not, then do you know one that definitely does work?

BerserkLeon

Not-so-new member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for your answer!!
I might try a different adapter then, do you know if RTL8192CU works on raspberry pi (linux)? If not, then do you know one that definitely does work?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0036R9XRU (the bigger one) or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166068 or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704045 would for sure work in linux. Using the driver in the OP with them will make them work under windows, as long as its in a USB2.0 port and not a 3.0, as that can cause bluescreens.
I think V2 of the TL-WN822N works because it's another atheros chipset, but they keep making new revisions for that one and they probably all use different chipsets.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: What if succubus were real? :ninja: