Homebrews that only work on slot 2

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by villa_bryan, Aug 13, 2007.

Aug 13, 2007
  1. villa_bryan
    OP

Newcomer villa_bryan Advanced Member

United States
    I've heard some homebrews only work on a slot 2 device. now can an ez flash 3 in1 load these homebrews from a slot 1's memory card or must it have it in it's own memory?

if so, does a 3 in 1 have enough memory?

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    The ones that only work tend to be the older homebrew that only reads from CF based devices and the like (which will not run on the EZ 3 in 1 either).

A notable exception being the new dumper from Rudolph and some of the save grabbers, you could use a wifi based one though instead for the dumper/save grabber and you may get lucky with a SRAM based save grabber and the 3 in 1 if not.
    The other minor exception is the other older GBA file system based stuff which should run if the DS slot one does not.
    Nowadays though there is very little (if anything) of merit that does not work because it needs and old card or has a suitable/better replacement.

The other option is to spend a bit more and get one of the more featured GBA slot carts, see any of the 40000..000 threads on the subject. To save you some time though it comes to
    EZ4 (anything but the compact): the only thing that may trip you up is some of the archaic homebrew which as I said is all but non existent. RTC games on the GBA need patching too (all 3 of them)
    G6: expensive and only has internal memory.
    M3: anything but the professional. Again perhaps slightly expensive but certainly very good.

3. Sweater Fish Del

Member Sweater Fish Del GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Actually there are a large number of homebrews that don't work on slot-1 cards. In addition to the very old ones that use the DSBooter code that FAST6191 mentioned, there are many homebrews using GBFS and PAFS that won't work on slot-1 cards.

These won't work on the 3-in-1?

...word is bondage...

4. sasuke_kun12

Member sasuke_kun12 GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    I think you should look for a GBAMP then use chisms firmware upgrade. I used my hacked GBAMP for DSdoom but i've sold it off and regret it deeply :-(

5. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    If the limiting restriction is GBFS or PAFS, then yes you should be able to launch them from a 3in1 if you flash them to NOR and use your slot-1 device as a NoPass. TranslaterDS and SnezziDS are examples of programs that should work with the 3in1, though I don't have a 3in1 so I can't personally test.