Hacking Homebrew to wireless transfer files without restarting N3DS?

Johnboy1231

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I am looking for a tool to wirelessly transfer files to my New 3DS's micro SD card without having to restart the N3DS.

Currently I have my system on gateway emunand and play CIA games and i gave my gateway card to my gf who lived about 20 minutes away.

This has worked fine for the past month but whenever I want to put more games on my sd card, I'd have to visit my gf to reboot into gateway mode.

I have looked around but have no luck so far. If anyone know if such a tool exist, please let me know. Thanks!

SpongeFreak52

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
https://gbatemp.net/threads/microsd-management-on-homecreen-and-working-on-old3dss-too.383892/

Not exactly a homebrew, but gamesquest1 and a few others found by slightly modifying MicroSD Management, you can make it appear on the home screen.

This works well, but causes some apps like BBM to lock up the system due to how the Management app crashes since you're not in the settings menu while using it. Perhaps other alternative CIA installers will work, but as far as I know you wouldn't be able to copy AND install them without rebooting.

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
This works well, but causes some apps like BBM to lock up the system due to how the Management app crashes since you're not in the settings menu while using it. Perhaps other alternative CIA installers will work, but as far as I know you wouldn't be able to copy AND install them without rebooting.

That's weird, I've not had devMenu/BBM freeze the system after moving over small homebrew CIAs; in fact, that's how I test most things I compile now: mSD Management -> move CIA over -> exit -> install -> run homebrew. I guess for huge CIAs like games it might have issues, I dunno.

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Well if you want to avoid the crash, then start mSD Managemet from withen DevMen/BBM. When you exit it, it won't crash. It actually exits back to DevMen/BBM from which you started it from. I guess mSD has a specific code to exit to a host process and the Homemenu is technically an applet, not a application, so that's why it crashes if you started it from home menu instead.

kheldar

Trophies
XP
Country
mSD Managemet works fine for me . n3ds emunand on 9.5. It gives an error message after I close it but that's about it. I click ok and move on with my life.

Reactions: Apache Thunder

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Well if you want to avoid the crash, then start mSD Managemet from withen DevMen/BBM. When you exit it, it won't crash. It actually exits back to DevMen/BBM from which you started it from. I guess mSD has a specific code to exit to a host process and the Homemenu is technically an applet, not a application, so that's why it crashes if you started it from home menu instead.

I actually tried to make a homebrew a few days ago that hosts mSD Management, but I was unable to have it auto-exit without the system crashing (the homebrew has to stay alive until mSD Management closes basically. If there was a way to somehow halt until running another app was finished, then it'd be simple, but I'm not sure how to do that yet).

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
I actually tried to make a homebrew a few days ago that hosts mSD Management, but I was unable to have it auto-exit without the system crashing (the homebrew has to stay alive until mSD Management closes basically. If there was a way to somehow halt until running another app was finished, then it'd be simple, but I'm not sure how to do that yet).

You can try and program something that checks if mSD management is still running. If it's not, then it exits. Perhaps program that on 2-5 second intervals.

SpongeFreak52

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Oh neat! Guess that makes sense, it'd just fall back on the previously opened application. Thanks for the tip! Disregard what I said earlier :D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does update 19 really block it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.