homebrew stuff

Discussion in 'M3 Adapter' started by themuddaload, May 11, 2008.

May 11, 2008

homebrew stuff by themuddaload at 9:55 PM (1,293 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. themuddaload
    OP

Member themuddaload Creepin' hardcore.

United States
    what are some of the best homebrew apps and games?

theres a huge list in the download thing, so i guess i'll ask you guys =)

2. Chrono_Tata

Member Chrono_Tata GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Thailand
    The essential one you want is DSOrganize. If you have an M3Real with a RAM pack you'd probably want MoonShell as well, since the media player that comes with the M3Real is a bit ugly.

You might want some emulators for old games. Lameboy for GB and GBC. SNEemuDS for the SNES.

The rest depends on your taste. If you are arty you'd probably want Colors!. If you want to read comics you'd want to get ImageViewer or something.

As for homebrew games... personally I think you'd be too busy playing commercially released games to play them.

3. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
  4. themuddaload
    OP

Member themuddaload Creepin' hardcore.

United States
    thanks urza =)

5. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    moonshell doesn't require a ram pack to work.

-aw

6. Chrono_Tata

Thailand
    Hmm. I just checked and it seems it does work. They must have fixed it in an update cause when I first got my Real it'd never work properly unless I boot to slot 2.

7. Another World

Colombia
    it has always been a .nds file and never required any expansion pack since the first version. unless the m3 team is using a hacked fork off of the old source, which i can not confirm.

by saying you booted off slot2 then your saying you can use the official GBA expansion pack to run .nds files in a nopass/passme mode? i never read that as being possible, are you just a bit confused on how stuff is working? =P

-aw

8. Chrono_Tata

Thailand
    When you select a homebrew on the Real, it asks whether you want to run it on Slot 1 or Slot 2. Running on Slot 2, I believe, makes stuff faster due to the extra RAM. I'm not sure on the technical details here.

As for Moonshell, it used to be that if I select Slot 1, it would be in Japanese even though I picked my language to be English, and would sometimes failed to play a file or open the settings windows. If I select Slot 2 it runs perfectly. I'm pretty sure I read that some people had the same problem as well. Maybe it only happened on certain Micro SDs.

Although when I tried it yesterday it works perfectly using the Slot 1 option. I'm using the same Moonshell .nds as I used when I first bought the card (some time back in February) so I understand a firmware update might have fixed it or something.

9. Another World

Colombia
    wow thats weird, so they must be using the ram as a way to store data. i never read any documentation on that i'll have to check into it. i do know that homebrew by nature is designed to run from ram, but slot2 ram is very slow compaired to the onboard 3mb of ram for the nds.

as for moonshell, why not just dl the official release and export it for the m3 dldi and then replace the nds file on your card? i duno exactly if this works for you, as i don't have an m3 to test with. on my r4 i did this to update to the new version before the firmware archives contained it. the exporter lets you set language....

http://home.att.ne.jp/blue/moonlight/moons...dpgtools131.zip

-another world

10. Chrono_Tata

Thailand
    Well, the Real patches your .nds automatically so I use the unpatched .nds. I did download the official release and did set my language to English, but, like I said, when I loaded it with Slot 1 back in February it didn't work properly. I hadn't bothered trying again till you mentioned it. Works fine now though, so no problem.

I'm not sure how exactly the RAM pack works either... but since they include an option to load to Slot 2 I would imagine it helps somehow, or the option would be pretty useless, really. The official M3 site advertises the RAM pack as helping "boost 'media player' performance" or something along that line. Not sure what exactly that means.

http://www.m3adapter.com/SLOT-1_Accessories.htm

11. Another World

Colombia
    hm there are dldi patchers that will write a nopatch set of data to the auto patch area of dldi. you might want to give one of those a try in the future so your card doesn't over write patches you made while testing. just check the drunkencoders wiki for more info on these tools.

as for the expansion pack like i said i know homebrew is designed by nature to run in ram. this is just how it was originally set up on the gba, it was the way to beat the lockouts and get code to run. so with that said the slot2 could be using the ram to hold the homebrew app instead of paging it in and out of the onboard ram. it might do the samething for media files being played. not sure how this would speed up the whole thing, as i've read the slot2 ram is up to 4x slower than the onboard ram.

check this article it gives a great insite to how homebrew started and explains a bit on how it works by the guy who built the first passme.
    http://www.ndshb.com/modules.php?name=Cont...page&pid=40

-another world