Homebrew Question Homebrew Software for running Retail Cartridges but no Piracy on 3.0.0

PlasticK

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
So, I bought Mario Odyssey and many other games that need a higher firmware than 300.

But I was thinking about the development of a homebrew software that lets us play all games on 3.0.0 BUT only from legit retail cartridges. Zero support for piracy / backups. That would be awesome for us who don't want to give up homebrew but pay for the games.

I know interest in this will be very low because the vast majority are little bitches who want to play teh gamez 4 free.

PlasticK

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
how's the switch gonna succeed and attract 3rd party developers & publishers if you can pirate switch games? shooting yourself in the foot

i got no problem with running emulators and playing retro games like snes, gba. you aren't doing much damage there.

got myself a second supposedly bricked switch for 100$ that i repaired for 10$ and i will be using for 3.0.0 + games for now. i just think it is a waste of money to have 2 devices.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how's the switch gonna succeed and attract 3rd party developers & publishers if you can pirate switch games? shooting yourself in the foot

i got no problem with running emulators and playing retro games like snes, gba. you aren't doing much damage there.

got myself a second supposedly bricked switch for 100$ that i repaired for 10$ and i will be using for 3.0.0 + games for now. i just think it is a waste of money to have 2 devices.
You've already got two devices, so why are you asking people to dedicate time and effort for something you don't need?

Essometer

Needs data
Trophies
Website
none.de
XP
Country
Germany
Please stop turning this into a anti/pro privacy circle jerk. If this is your intention open another thread.

The ability to run unsigned code on the switch is new and aside from a Hello World there hasn't been anything noteworthy. Just wait or do it your self, if it were easy to play games that require a higher firmware it would have already been done.

Also, SMO uses a different encryption, so a hacked FW 3.0.0 won't take you very far in that regard.

Last edited by Essometer,

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can't just make a homebrew to load 3.0.1+ carts. The reason we can't load those games is because they use encryption keys that we haven't obtained yet. Without the ability to decrypt the game, you can't play the game, even with homebrew. And the only way it would become possible would be to obtain those keys. So those on 3.0.0 for homebrew will likely be waiting for a long while with only 3.0.0 and lower games. Even the devs have said it will be unlikely to happen any time soon, if ever. It's the main reason I updated.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Basically you ask for EMUNAND/REDNAND (update to latest firmware)? Would take a while as haven't found anyways to back up Switch NAND yet.
One of the issues with an emuNAND solution for the Switch is that updating the emuNAND might burn an efuse the same way it would updating the sysNAND. Attempting to boot the sysNAND after that would cause the device to brick, since the number of burnt efuses wouldn't match the sysNAND version, similar to what would happen with a hypothetical downgrade of the Switch's sysNAND. If people can't find a way around that, then an up-to-date emuNAND isn't possible.

Reactions: Quantumcat

dpad_5678

Ape weak on own. Ape strong in unity.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You've already got two devices, so why are you asking people to dedicate time and effort for something you don't need?
The "I got two Switches" thing was bullshit. Once he found out that what he wanted to do was not possible, he used THAT to make himself look less stupid, and act like he's not disappointed.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I bought Mario Odyssey and many other games that need a higher firmware than 300.

But I was thinking about the development of a homebrew software that lets us play all games on 3.0.0 BUT only from legit retail cartridges. Zero support for piracy / backups. That would be awesome for us who don't want to give up homebrew but pay for the games.

I know interest in this will be very low because the vast majority are little bitches who want to play teh gamez 4 free.
this would 90% of the time not work because a lot of games require the software updates for the game to run properly

naddel81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can't just make a homebrew to load 3.0.1+ carts. The reason we can't load those games is because they use encryption keys that we haven't obtained yet. Without the ability to decrypt the game, you can't play the game, even with homebrew. And the only way it would become possible would be to obtain those keys. So those on 3.0.0 for homebrew will likely be waiting for a long while with only 3.0.0 and lower games. Even the devs have said it will be unlikely to happen any time soon, if ever. It's the main reason I updated.

if ever... lol! that's what they said back then in 2011 when sony patched the newer games and encrypted them with newer keys. but still we are able to play the newest eboot.bin games no problem.
I am quite certain the switch will be hacked wide open in 2018.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if ever... lol! that's what they said back then in 2011 when sony patched the newer games and encrypted them with newer keys. but still we are able to play the newest eboot.bin games no problem.
I am quite certain the switch will be hacked wide open in 2018.
I really wish people would stop saying "well x console got this so y will too". Different consoles have different security. The way switch does its security is not the same as other consoles. Just because one console was hacked in a certain way does not mean all consoles will be able to do that.

Reactions: Essometer and Kioku

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
One of the issues with an emuNAND solution for the Switch is that updating the emuNAND might burn an efuse the same way it would updating the sysNAND. Attempting to boot the sysNAND after that would cause the device to brick, since the number of burnt efuses wouldn't match the sysNAND version, similar to what would happen with a hypothetical downgrade of the Switch's sysNAND. If people can't find a way around that, then an up-to-date emuNAND isn't possible.
Unless they found a way to emulate that too, or to route/deny the trip. Which would take too much time and effort, and may not even be worth it.

naddel81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really wish people would stop saying "well x console got this so y will too". Different consoles have different security. The way switch does its security is not the same as other consoles. Just because one console was hacked in a certain way does not mean all consoles will be able to do that.
just relax and wait for 34C3. I am certain progress will be made.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

1. If you feel it's a waste to have two systems, why did you buy another one?
  2. Because you bought a second system, implies you still intend to buy new games that can't be played on the other.
  3. As stated in 2, how is this impacting developers if people still intend to buy newer games to play?
The fact people are buying 2 systems one for homebrew and another for new releases means there isn't much of an impact. The only impact would be the people not buying the new games. Even then, since some switch games cost more than they do on switch than other systems is already sorta impacting sales of games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...