Homebrew screenshot app

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Stevis, Jul 28, 2008.

Jul 28, 2008

Homebrew screenshot app by Stevis at 12:49 AM (1,167 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. Stevis
    OP

Newcomer Stevis Newbie

United States
    I've seen countless screenshots of various apps/games on this board and many other places, and it makes me think there is some sort of screenshot app. I know one exists for the PSP, so I'm curious if somehting similar exists for the DS.

Thanks.

2. chuckstudios

Member chuckstudios Putting the pro in procrastination

United States
    No. Screenshots of games are made with a device only available to Nintendo developers, and screenshots of homebrew are made with emulators or custom routines written by the developer.

3. fischju

Member fischju Rehabilitated Jaywalker

United States

I highlighted the useful information

4. Normmatt

Member Normmatt Former AKAIO Programmer

New Zealand
    The funny thing is that a real time save file is indeed a screenshot, or atleast you can get a screenshot out of a rts file if you know the real time save format

5. Stevis
    OP

Newcomer Stevis Newbie

United States
    Ah, well since I'm neither a Nintendo dev nor a homebrew dev, it seems I'm out of luck. Thanks for the help.

6. fischju

Member fischju Rehabilitated Jaywalker

United States
    Really. EMULATOR

7. TheWingless

Member TheWingless Wafuu~

United States
    I believe there was a request on the TeamCyclops board for this screenshot feature. I think they were "thinking" about it as quite a few people wanted it. But they were limited to .BMP and could only save to the 2mb flash(I think). So it maybe a feature if you own a Cyclo, unless they have changed their mind recently. This isn't "homebrew" though...

8. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    Only one program can run on the DS at a time, so you wouldn't be able to run both the screenshot app and the DS game at the same time. The best you could do would be to patch the game to recognize a keystroke and save a screenshot of the main screen (which is arbitrarily chosen by the developers) somewhere, converting it to a useful format upon the next bootup. This is what the CycloDS Evo devs were attempting to do, but it seems they got stuck, which is understandable.