Homebrew homebrew request: is it possible

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Uhm...wait what? Hell no. N-E-V-E-R. How the hell should the Wii give commands to a TV?

There's a reason TV Remotes exists, you know?

This might be the best GBATemp-Fail Topic of all time...

yesjohn

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.wii-media.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
trow a wii mote to your tv and you're done
yaywii.gif

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
same way windows can shut down the monitor?
This is actually more a function of the monitor then the computer.

When the "turn off monitor" timer in Windows runs out, the computer simply stops outputting a signal (or a portion of it anyway). PC Monitors are designed to switch to standby when their input disappears and the video cable is still connected (most display "Check Cable" otherwise).

TVs are usually designed to display a blue screen or a "No Signal!" message.

I think it's time you get a TV remote.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hmm...at first, I was thinking "the wiimote sends commands (infrared, I guess) to the wii. If the wii could somehow send that 'shutdown' command to the TV...".

...then I realised that the connection from the wii to the TV (scart or RGB) is a one-way traffic. It can send video and audio...and that's it. So indeed...by itself, it's never going to happen.

I like the idea, though. If I was an electronics student, I'd probably start up a project to fuse a wiimote and a stripped down universal remote. Alas...I don't know jack about those things. I'd more than likely break both the things.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
techboy said:
QUOTE said:
same way windows can shut down the monitor?
This is actually more a function of the monitor then the computer.

When the "turn off monitor" timer in Windows runs out, the computer simply stops outputting a signal (or a portion of it anyway). PC Monitors are designed to switch to standby when their input disappears and the video cable is still connected (most display "Check Cable" otherwise).

TVs are usually designed to display a blue screen or a "No Signal!" message.

I think it's time you get a TV remote.
most (recent) TV are also designed to auto-shutdown after a long blue-screen period.
But you better walk to the TV and switch it off yourself instead of waiting 15min to see if it's gonna happen.
unsure.gif

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It's actually not as far fetched as it sounds. The Sensor Bar contains infrared LEDs... the same LEDs found in many remote controls. There's even a channel available in japan (called either TV Friend channel or TV Guide channel, depending on the translation) that seems to use the sensor bar to change channels and adjust the volume.
The big BUT is that even if you manage to get a program written that can modulate the sensor bar just right, it would have to be pointing at the tv receiver.

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
The big BUT is that even if you manage to get a program written that can modulate the sensor bar just right, it would have to be pointing at the tv receiver.
In theory you could hook two sensor bars to the wii, assuming you made a Y adapter for the port. Sad thing is a sensor bar costs more than a universal TV remote.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
In theory, you could also just buy a remote for 7$ and be happy.
wink.gif

There really is very little point in making your Wii do something a remote can already do.

Julian Sidewind

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
tueidj said:
It's actually not as far fetched as it sounds. The Sensor Bar contains infrared LEDs... the same LEDs found in many remote controls. There's even a channel available in japan (called either TV Friend channel or TV Guide channel, depending on the translation) that seems to use the sensor bar to change channels and adjust the volume.
mirror?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Ohkay