Homebrew Homebrew questions

problemed

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey everyone, so I just dusted off my 3DS XL that hasn't been used in a long time. I checked the firmware and it's running 4.5, from the quick reads that I was able to do on the forum, that's a good firmware to use to homebrew or whatever it is called.

Here are my questions:

1. How can I homebrew my device? (Not sure if I'm using 'homebrew' in the right pretense)
2. Is there anything I need to buy?
3. Will homebrew let me play games that I do not currently own?
4. Is there a "guide" of some sort that will teach me all of this? I saw that some of you were talking about something called "NAND". Any explanation of this whole process would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Inuuto

Enigmatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There *isn't* any homebrew yet. I think you're talking about ROMs. You must buy a 3DS flashcard to run backups. Don't pirate games you don't have. ;) You can buy the Gateway 3DS to play backup'd games. It amazes me that we can talk about Gateway but not about ROMS, lol. Youtube "Gateway 3DS" and you'll find what you're looking for. Hope I helped.

problemed

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There *isn't* any homebrew yet. I think you're talking about ROMs. You must buy a 3DS flashcard to run backups. Don't pirate games you don't have. ;) You can buy the Gateway 3DS to play backup'd games. It amazes me that we can talk about Gateway but not about ROMS, lol. Youtube "Gateway 3DS" and you'll find what you're looking for. Hope I helped.

Thank you very much, sorry for the noob questions

you are not. not feeling helpful enough atm to explain why but if you want to find out, head over to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homebrew_(video_games)

Thanks for the help.

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hey everyone, so I just dusted off my 3DS XL that hasn't been used in a long time. I checked the firmware and it's running 4.5, from the quick reads that I was able to do on the forum, that's a good firmware to use to homebrew or whatever it is called.

Here are my questions:

1. How can I homebrew my device? (Not sure if I'm using 'homebrew' in the right pretense)
2. Is there anything I need to buy?
3. Will homebrew let me play games that I do not currently own?
4. Is there a "guide" of some sort that will teach me all of this? I saw that some of you were talking about something called "NAND". Any explanation of this whole process would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
1. Currently only in DS mode. The 3DS mode is not documented enough yet.
2. Yep. You need a DS mode flashcard (like the Supercard DSTWO or the R4i from R4ids.cn) to run DS Mode homebrew or a Gateway3DS or a R4i Gold 3DS Deluxe for 3DS mode roms (you get a DS mode flashcard with the 3DS mode flashcards).
3. Nope but flashcards do :P But that's illegal and you would never ever do that ;)
4. There are serveral guides all over the net. Just Google your question :P
NAND is not important for you yet :P

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
are you looking for help with playing pirated games, hacks, and trasnlations on your 3ds or are you looking for help with how to get homebrew games and applications running on your 3ds? if you are looking to play pirated games, do you want to play ds-mode games (stuff released for the NDS only) or 3ds-mode games (stuff released for the 3ds only)?

lets get down to the specifics of what you are looking for and then we can direct you to appropriate reading.

-another world

problemed

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. Currently only in DS mode. The 3DS mode is not documented enough yet.
2. Yep. You need a DS mode flashcard (like the Supercard DSTWO or the R4i from R4ids.cn) to run DS Mode homebrew or a Gateway3DS or a R4i Gold 3DS Deluxe for 3DS mode roms (you get a DS mode flashcard with the 3DS mode flashcards).
3. Nope but flashcards do :P But that's illegal and you would never ever do that ;)
4. There are serveral guides all over the net. Just Google your question :P
NAND is not important for you yet :P
Haha thanks

are you looking for help with playing pirated games, hacks, and trasnlations on your 3ds or are you looking for help with how to get homebrew games and applications running on your 3ds? if you are looking to play pirated games, do you want to play ds-mode games (stuff released for the NDS only) or 3ds-mode games (stuff released for the 3ds only)?

lets get down to the specifics of what you are looking for and then we can direct you to appropriate reading.

-another world

Let's say I wanted to find, download, and then play Pokemon X & Y. What would be my process.

I would like to thank everyone who has responded and not flamed me for asking these rudimentary questions

szh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
We can't help you find or download it. Legally, you should be dumping the game from a commercial cartridge (aka backups) but I'm not sure if dumping tools exist (sorry, I'm a noob too :X).

Pokemon X/Y are not playable on any 3DS flashcart right now, though.

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We can't help you find or download it. Legally, you should be dumping the game from a commercial cartridge (aka backups) but I'm not sure if dumping tools exist (sorry, I'm a noob too :X).

Pokemon X/Y are not playable on any 3DS flashcart right now, though.

Correct, there is no public way to dump 3DS games at this point in time.

IronClouds

GBAtemp's Pokébro
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so what exactly does a Gateway3DS do?

The Gateway 3DS flashcart allows you to play 3DS ROMs on any 4.1-4.5 3DS/3DS XL. These ROMs can be obtained by either backing up your retail carts which is legal in a lot of countries, or by pirating them (we can't help you with obtaining any ROMs).

Bonovox40

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Correct, there is no public way to dump 3DS games at this point in time.
Wait a second.... then what are the roms of floating around the interwebs? They're NOT commercial game dumps?? (or you just mean the groups have tools that are not available to the public)

BlackWizzard17

Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait a second.... then what are the roms of floating around the interwebs? They're NOT commercial game dumps?? (or you just mean the groups have tools that are not available to the public)
What I get from this is that we don't support piracy but the inly way to use GW is through piracy seeing how rom dumping is not avalable to the people's disposal

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning