Homebrew [Homebrew] Pong 3DS v1.0

AntonioND

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
This is the game I've been coding for a few weeks.

It's just a 3D pong, like the one I made years ago for the DS. All graphics are done by software, each CPU core renders one of the top screen images.

I hope you like it!

Binaries here (and attached to the post): https://github.com/AntonioND/pong-3ds/releases

Source code and more information here: https://github.com/AntonioND/pong-3ds

Screenshots:

WGyUzCl.png

uOJDt9i.png

0cJKRnv.png

U63VKAJ.png

Attachments

• pong-3ds-v1-0.zip
    527 KB · Views: 705

AntonioND

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Oh, lol, I've just seen a video of that game, it's... strange. xD

The reason I did this was that I made a simple soft 3D engine for GBA years ago but I never made a game or anything with it. This game was a good way of finishing it AND doing something for 3DS. And, as the engine doesn't support textures, I had to do a really simple game.

It's nothing. :) I've also uploaded it to DownloadMii.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I wanted to make a game but the GFX example in libctru is using aemstro and texture, but I don't understand how it really works. I never worked with 3D engine before.
I'll look how you did colored 3D object without texture, it's always good to see different way to do things :)

thanks

AntonioND

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I tried to use aemstro but I couldn't get the python environment to run it so I decided to wait until there is a nice compiled shader assembler. Picasso is a bit outdated I think, and that was the only one I was able to compile.

Well, the functions for drawing filled polygons are the worst part of the code... xD They were awfully boring to code because they are just a lot of comparisons and loops... But sure, take a look at them.

Idaho

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Awesome homebrew here, it's nice to see that it's taking use of the 3D capacities, even though for some reason the display is flickery on my new 3DS and the 3D isn't perfect, it's a nice thing that we have, keep up the good work, contact me if you want me to test things on new 3DS ;)

AntonioND

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
That's strange, in my 3DS it works perfectly. I have a N3DS but I can't load homebrew on it, so I can't test... The problem can be something related to the double buffering or it could be the sound functions that are messing with the graphics. Ninjhax doesn't have access to csnd functions in N3DS, but I check at the start if csnd is inited so it shouldn't be a problem. Does it happen if you disable the 3D?

AntonioND

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Then the problem must be something about the buffer swap. I think the function of ctrulib I use schedules the swap to be done after the screen redraw, but maybe it doesn't work fine in N3DS. I started with a ctrulib example and I didn't see flickering even when I was developing the game and the FPS were lower than 60. I did see flickering once when I messed up the buffer swap, and I saw that the screen was basically divided by a vertical line (that changed every frame) and one part of the screen showed the correct scene but the other one was incomplete. Do you see something like that?

Idaho

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I don't think it was something like that, I will shoot a video to show you exactly what's happening ;)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    A @ anotherthing: The Nintendo servers are going down in 9 days anyway.