Homebrew [Homebrew] Play Coin Setter (Ninjhax/3DSx edition)

MrCheeze

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So it turns out yesterday's custom theme tool is significant in more ways than one. Beyond editing themes, it proves that Ninjhax actually allows modification of arbitrary 3ds extdata. The most basic application of which is this, a play coin generator!

Download: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/183608682/playcoin.zip
Github: https://github.com/MrCheeze/playcoin

This is only the beginning, I'd be very interested in seeing what could result from editing an actual game's extdata. Note that this is not the same thing as save data - extra data normally contains content that can be downloaded from the internet, such as the new Streetpass Mii Plaza puzzles.

EDIT: Actually, turns out only "ARCH_EXTDATA" and "ARCH_SHARED_EXTDATA" is possible to access via Ninjhax, not "ARCH_BOSS_EXTDATA". Most spotpass data goes in the latter, and is therefore not accessible.

MrCheeze

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nice! I'll be downloading this tool as soon as I have access to my SD Card reader.

One question - are game updates stored in the extdata? e.x: The Super Smash Bros update content.
I don't believe so, since updates are treated differently and downloaded as executable content. Although I've heard that the capability exists to have new Smash tips downloaded silently, so that would probably be extdata.

Reactions: Margen67

Wanderer0891

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Out of curiosity, would it be possible through Ninjhax's userland access to modify the amount of steps taken on the Home Menu's Step Counter? Seeing as modifying the amount of Play Coins is possible? Asking of course for the 4,001 steps a day you need to take for Pokémon's O Powers as there are those rainy days when you can't go out for a walk.

Reactions: PrincessLillie

Lord M

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
But... if im not wrong, playcoin settrer is one of sdk apps (that gateway access with kernel exploit)... so this mean that ninjhax really can acces kernel...?

Deleted member 313057

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
commentblock.com
XP
Country
United States
But... if im not wrong, playcoin settrer is one of sdk apps (that gateway access with kernel exploit)... so this mean that ninjhax really can acces kernel...?

The current software accesses the NAND Extdata, which doesn't need a kernel exploit. Since Cubic Ninja can accesses the Extdata, so can we.

Reactions: Seriel and Margen67

jamieyello

Professional Dumbass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Neat. I'll be setting my play coins back to 0 now to avoid my puzzle collection losing it's credibility (I worked hard for that crap) Next time I find a game with some bs play coin mechanic I'll be using this.

Looking like ninjhax can almost do everything gateway can except piracy atm.

Reactions: Margen67 and SLiV3R

aos10

Yuuki chan
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
OMG
hell yes
first good news for the new year

thank you very much

BTW , i think you should remove the link
isn't the actual coin sitter is forbidden ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: But I bet that would be more for a flashcart than a consumer repro board.