Shanshobo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hi...
cool.gif

I've just bought a DS, and want to try some homebrew...
Can you suggest some top homebrew apps...?

cutterjohn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DSReader
DSLibris
DSOrganize

Well, for me, I don't use the PDA stuff of DSO yet, but it's integrated web browser is pretty damned good for a small device, as is it's IRC client, but I've never been much of an IRC fan...

Also, because of the integrated browser and hence HTML rendering, DSO also makes a good local HTML file viewer via the file browser. Also does a good job with plain text files.

The other two are pure e-text readers, but I'm not sure which I prefer yet. Both lack in the bookmarks department, as in too few of them. DSO doesn't seem to support bookmarking either via www browser or via viewing from file browser...

[EDIT]
I'll toss in some gamey stuff too, as it's also homebrew
lameboy/Goomba GB/GBC emulation
SNESemulDS SNES emulation (best of the lot, but not great lots of glitches on lots of games, and needs manual tweakings)
Tower of Dagur(sp?) nice little jRPG, battle system sucks, and AFAIK magic system is still unimplemented
Powder roguelike, similar to hack, no class selection
NethackDS nethack for your DS

SNESemulDS WILL use your 3in1, etc. as expanded memory, but I haven't noticed that it makes a difference for small games as I believe that it's just used for mapping of larger carts...
[/EDIT]

Shanshobo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
DSReader
DSLibris
DSOrganize

Well, for me, I don't use the PDA stuff of DSO yet, but it's integrated web browser is pretty damned good for a small device, as is it's IRC client, but I've never been much of an IRC fan...

Also, because of the integrated browser and hence HTML rendering, DSO also makes a good local HTML file viewer via the file browser. Also does a good job with plain text files.

The other two are pure e-text readers, but I'm not sure which I prefer yet. Both lack in the bookmarks department, as in too few of them. DSO doesn't seem to support bookmarking either via www browser or via viewing from file browser...

[EDIT]
I'll toss in some gamey stuff too, as it's also homebrew
lameboy/Goomba GB/GBC emulation
SNESemulDS SNES emulation (best of the lot, but not great lots of glitches on lots of games, and needs manual tweakings)
Tower of Dagur(sp?) nice little jRPG, battle system sucks, and AFAIK magic system is still unimplemented
Powder roguelike, similar to hack, no class selection
NethackDS nethack for your DS

SNESemulDS WILL use your 3in1, etc. as expanded memory, but I haven't noticed that it makes a difference for small games as I believe that it's just used for mapping of larger carts...
[/EDIT]

But does Gba, Snes and NES emulation works on R4?

cutterjohn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But does Gba, Snes and NES emulation works on R4?
It should. Try them and find out, it's what I've been doing while making do with my crappy GnM... All of the software that I listed was either DLDI capable OR in the case of Tower of Dagur just worked on a GnM, and if it worked on a GnM it had damn well beter work on an R4 or any other flash cart.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, three separate people managed to misspell SNEmulDS. Nice, hehe.

Anyway, you can't get GBA emulation on any slot-1 device; you need a slot-2 device to run GBA files. SNES and NES however will run fine from your R4 using SNEmulDS and NES DS.

cutterjohn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, three separate people managed to misspell SNEmulDS. Nice, hehe.

Anyway, you can't get GBA emulation on any slot-1 device; you need a slot-2 device to run GBA files. SNES and NES however will run fine from your R4 using SNEmulDS and NES DS.
Oops, missed the GBA part as I figured dog and world knew no GBA emulation from slot-1 alone.

Anyways if what you are really asking will the various slot-2 solutions work, all I can say IME that Rudolph's 3in1 tool paired with an EZFV 3in1 should work, as it even works with my GnM and I haven't heard of it failing from any DLDI capable slot-1 cart yet...

[EDIT]
Just to make it clear, you're still going to need some sort of slot-2 GBA compat cart to run GBA stuff.

Also the ewin exp pack should work as well, it's just with that you'll have to use the slot-1 sw provided by ewin.

Dunno about the M3 GBA Pack as I've seen VERY little concrete info on it, but I suspect that it's tied directly to the M3DS Real firmware ATM, but maybe Rudolph will add support for it and the ewin at some later date, or someone else make an entirely new loader...
[/EDIT]

Nero

GBAtemp RPG Maniac
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
SNEmulDS
Lameboy 0.9
jEnesisDS
DSOrganize
POWDER

No particular order, except SNEmulDS is on top and DSO is second.

~Nero

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM