Homebrew Homebrew on DSi Menu = White Boxes

JeffRuLz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've encountered a problem trying to install DSi homebrew onto the main menu. The app will install and launch like it should, but the game icon and title will be blank. But not every app does this.

Works:
- DSiMenu++
- WoodDumper
- nds-hb-menu

White Boxes:
- Gameyob
- nesDS
- dsdoom
- TMFH

I've checked the files with ndstool and the banner checksums are correct, so idk what's wrong.
Is there a known solution to this problem?

bennyman123abc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I knew the solution at one point, but I can't remember it now. I requires changing values in the NDS file. If I recall correctly, it's an issue with the banner size.

JeffRuLz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I found exactly what I was looking for: these apps were made with an out-of-date ndstool.
github.com/devkitPro/ndstool/issues/3

"It seems that Launcher expects all NAND based DSiWare [...] to have 0x23C0 reserved for the icon. 0x840 sized icons can be used, but if the DSi extended binaries end up in that 0x23C0 region (as ndstool and libnds currently do with SRLs built from it) then Launcher considers the icon invalid."
Ndstool was updated last march to accommodate this. Apparently, updating libnds with devkitProUpdater does not update ndstool. After compiling the newest version of ndstool I can now compile homebrew with working icons.

For anyone who wants it, I've included a zip with my compiled versions of ndstool (windows), gameyob, nesDS, and dsdoom. (For dsdoom put your game files in /usr/share/games/doom/)

Attachments

• workingicons.jpg
    workingicons.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 489
  • dsipack.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 637
Reactions: RealYoti

banjo2

gamer
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I found exactly what I was looking for: these apps were made with an out-of-date ndstool.
github.com/devkitPro/ndstool/issues/3

"It seems that Launcher expects all NAND based DSiWare [...] to have 0x23C0 reserved for the icon. 0x840 sized icons can be used, but if the DSi extended binaries end up in that 0x23C0 region (as ndstool and libnds currently do with SRLs built from it) then Launcher considers the icon invalid."
Ndstool was updated last march to accommodate this. Apparently, updating libnds with devkitProUpdater does not update ndstool. After compiling the newest version of ndstool I can now compile homebrew with working icons.

For anyone who wants it, I've included a zip with my compiled versions of ndstool (windows), gameyob, nesDS, and dsdoom. (For dsdoom put your game files in /usr/share/games/doom/)

This appears when I try to run ndstool. That, and another similar error.

JeffRuLz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not a standalone program. You have to have devkitpro and libnds, and then put ndstool.exe in [devkitpro]/devkitARM/bin/

Although, if you install devkitpro right now you should get the newest ndstool anyway. You won't need the one I uploaded.

banjo2

gamer
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
It's not a standalone program. You have to have devkitpro and libnds, and then put ndstool.exe in [devkitpro]/devkitARM/bin/

Although, if you install devkitpro right now you should get the newest ndstool anyway. You won't need the one I uploaded.
...I honestly don't remember what I was trying to do last night or why I was using ndstool. I wasn't having this problem with anything... I haven't even installed anything yet.

mondul

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Happens when you compile it using mingw without the -static flag on the link process. Add it to the LDFLAGS on the Makefile.

EDiT: You can use the one attached to this message.

Attachments

• ndstool-master.zip
    105.8 KB · Views: 291
Last edited by mondul,
Reactions: RealYoti

Itzumi

tinkerer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I seem to be having an issue with the dsdoom version posted here.
I get this error upon selecting "[STANDARD GAME]":
W_GetNumForName: CRBRICK not found

EDIT: I'm using the Doom 1 Shareware IWad

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: