Homebrew maybe Closer Than We Think?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by jaxxster, Jul 15, 2007.

Jul 15, 2007
  1. jaxxster
    OP

Member jaxxster The Heretic

United Kingdom
    "Flash Player in Wii internet channel can be exploited to possibly run custom code

Adobe issued a security bulletin four days ago which notes that the Flash Player as used in the Wii's Internet Channel can be exploited to run arbitary code due to an input validation error in flash. This could lead to a gate-way for hackers to create some form of homebrew launcher. The good news is that Nintendo may not be able to patch this exploit too quick as they will have to get a new 'un-exploitable' version of the Flash player from Adobe."

Taken from mc.net

2. jeklnoo

Member jeklnoo GBAtemp Fan

United States
    sorry....that site says it affects 7.0.69.0 and lower, and the wii has 7.0.70.0 installed [​IMG]

also, the details seem to imply that the 'arbitrary code' would be actionscript code, which wouldn't help us a whole lot.

3. Pikachu025

Member Pikachu025 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Austria
    What about the Test-Version of the Wii Browser? What version has that one got?

4. imgod22222

Member imgod22222 GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member

United States
    yeah, actionscript has no 'low-level' control over anything. The only thing that I know AS 2.0 (i haven't gotten ahold of anything AS3.0) could do besides manipulate its own code is 1) write a single file to your hard drive specifying what 'settings' you may implement 2) Communication to a server. But the actual communication is handled by something else, PHP for example.

NOTE: I've only taken one year of AS 2.0 in highschool. we don't have CS3 and AS3.0 yet.

5. Hitto

Member Hitto MKDS Tournament Winner

France
    If you can write *anything* at all, even a measly cookie on a resident drive, shouldn't that open a fuckload of possibilities?
    I thought you could launch executables with AS2... But dunno how the wii would talk to the browser.

6. moshii

Member moshii GBAtemp Regular

Japan
    You need to get a lot closer to the metal before you can do much... chances are the Wii browser is sandboxed; damage limitation for exploits like this.

7. EarthBound

Member EarthBound a/s/l?

United States
    Nothing was ever found for the last browser exploit so I doubt anything will come of this.