Homebrew idea

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by Hickeyl, May 9, 2008.

May 9, 2008

Homebrew idea by Hickeyl at 6:55 AM (1,725 Views / 0 Likes) 17 replies

1. Hickeyl
    OP

Member Hickeyl GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    hey i used my gameboy colour the other day and i had an exploder thing that let me save 10 DIFFERENT saves for my pokemon red

so i was thinking if theres a good programmer out there who could homebrew a multiple save thing so we can have a choice of what save to load

its sort of like connecting to your pc an CONSTANLY changing your save files

2. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    I'd contact the R4 team about implementing the feature in the loader, as many flashcarts already have this functionality.

3. Hickeyl
    OP

United Kingdom
    Wah!!!! really [​IMG] thats really bad that r4 aint doin that :s il contact them [​IMG]

4. Raestloz

Member Raestloz GBATemp's Lone Wolf

Indonesia
    Well, implementing such feature in the kernel is possible, but using a homebrew? Is it possible? I mean, a homebrew is an .nds file, right? R4 will load it recognizing it as a game, and the actual game we are going to play cannot be played, can they?

5. Hickeyl
    OP

United Kingdom
    well there was a homevrew app that changed the way the r4 loads and that was a NDS file and still i could load game nds files so maybe they could use that program

6. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    It would be quite simple actually: all the app would need to do is rename the save files.

7. Raestloz

Indonesia
    Yeah, when the game playing...

Hickeyl, are you trying to say that is there any homebrew that acts as a real-time-save feature for R4? I'm pretty sure no such homebrew exists

8. tW34k

Newcomer tW34k Member

Norway
    All that needs to be done is renaming current savefile from x.sav to x1.sav or whatever.

9. Doggy124

Member Doggy124 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Thailand
    use dsorganize is the easiest way(to rename file)

10. Raestloz

Indonesia
    Hmmm... if what you mean is renaming it in R4 menu, then it's OK. Still, will anybody make it?

Also, the memory might be a problem, some people has great space in their microSD, some stuffed it as full as possible. R4's .sav sizes 512kb, 2 saves and it's 1MB for you, 10 saves means 5.1MB.... Anyway, having the homebrew will be a great addition for R4

Edit: I completely forgotten about dsorganize. Still, I never touched this homebrew, can it rename inside R4 menu?

11. sylux92

Member sylux92 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    There is the feature of having two different saves built in to the r4's kernel. It renames them to a .BAK file.

12. Hickeyl
    OP

United Kingdom
    i was just checking if it was possible and is there any 1 experienced enough to try

the reason i ask this is becaus i dont have a pc i use my friends from time to time

an he wanted me to play a game with him (a game i already have done and saved)
    and i wanted to obeable to play the new game with him and afterwards (when iv gone home) be able to load my completed save all without going into a pc and renaming it

these BAK. files you speak of does it giv you the option of loading either the sav or bak???

(or can sum 1 make an app wer you can copy and paste while using the nds Example: i dont have pc but i can rename things in side my r4 without messing around)

13. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    That's exactly the sort of thing DSOrganize can do. Copy, paste, rename, delete, edit, etc.

14. sylux92

Member sylux92 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    The .BAK can be loaded, just press the 'A' button on the .BAK file, then load the game.

15. Hickeyl
    OP

United Kingdom
    ahhh i think i get it then hmmm

THANKS ALL youv been a great help [​IMG]

16. Raestloz

Indonesia
    Sylux, you got it wrong.

.BAKs are backups, they are not saves, if you press A hile highlighting a .bak it will restore thebackup data and erase your current save file. it's not a 2 save feature, it's just a backup feature, and the game cannot recognize .bak as a save file

17. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    The .BAK file is just a renamed save. If you changed the extension back to ".SAV", the game would load it.

18. Raestloz

Indonesia
    Yeah, but renaming it will remove the current .sav you have, pretty much the same as restoring the backup.

Anyway, maybe DSO is the only way to do itright now, doing this through PC is not a good idea