Homebrew for using an SD Card as a Gamecube Memory card?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by jamesalfred, Jul 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jamesalfred
    OP

Newcomer jamesalfred Member

Indonesia
    Hello there,

I'm kinda curious, can we use the SD card as the replacement of GC mem card in Wii. I want to play GC games so badly, but didn't have the mem card (well, at least I have the stick [​IMG] ). I've installed HBC in my Wii, so I'm getting curious : is there a homebrew that can do this??? Thx.

2. linuxares

Member linuxares GBAtemp Maniac

Sweden
    Nope, since when you start a Gamecube game, all the Wii features is turned off.
    If you start a Wii game, all Gamecube features is turned off.

3. deba94

Member deba94 GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Through homebrew: Impossible.
    Through modifications of the systems motherboard: Yes, it can be done.

4. manias

Member manias GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    buy a memorycard...?? amazon, ebay, whatever?

5. Jademalo

Member Jademalo GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    fail, gamecube controllers arent turned off [​IMG]

also, it works for animal crossing i do believe [​IMG]

6. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    That will only let you use the front SD-slot as an SD Gecko, but still it wouldn't work with GC games.

And yes, saving on GC games with the SD Gecko only worked with few games, like Animal Crossing (J).

7. zidane_genome

Member zidane_genome My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?

United States
    epic fail.

gamecube FEATURES, such as gamecube HARDWARE (actual processor chips) and MEMORY SLOTS.

one of the Wii's Features is the ability to play some games with gamecube controllers. VC titles, and many Wii games use the GameCube controller ports, since the CONTROLLERS are integrated into the Wii's architecture, and not part of the legacy hardware, Gamecube Controllers are not part of the Gamecube side of the Wii.

8. Jademalo

United Kingdom
    More fail, because the memory cards are integrated in the wii, as you can use gecko, access them in wii settings etc, and i do believe that a controller port is a feature.

9. zidane_genome

United States
    You don't understand...

While in the MENU (or Dashboard / HomeScreen / Channel Selector), the Wii isn't in either mode... it can access ANY part of the hardware, Wii or Gamecube.

When you access the memory management, it's still able to see both Wii and Gamecube hardware. It's like saying, while at your computers desktop, it can see ALL your hardware, but when you open Word (or an analog of Word), that program can only see what it needs (Word can't use your microphone to type), but if you use a VTT (voice to text) application, Word then can use your mic.

When using a gamecube game, it can't access the WiiRemote, SD slot, Internet, or DS.
    When using a Wii game, it can access any part of the system if it's programed to. Since the Wii is SECOND, there is no way to make a Gamecube game know how to access the Wii hardware.

So, if you couldn't do it on your gamecube, you can't do it on your Wii. Did the gamecube have a frontSD slot? Connection to the DS? Access to the internet (without an addon)? NO. So even in a Wii, it still can't.

END OF DISCUSSION.

GameCube CANNOT ACCESS Wii devices!! PERIOD!!! NO AMOUNT OF HOMEBREW WILL CHANGE THAT!!! EVER!!!!!

Wii CAN ACCESS GAMECUBE HARDWARE!!! STOP F*ING ASKING!

10. Jademalo

United Kingdom
    *clap*

if thats the case, can we not boot up some gamecube or some wii in "Menu" mode?

11. jamesalfred
    OP

Newcomer jamesalfred Member

Indonesia
    Hmm, so Gamecube can't access Wii devices..... Means no access to its SD slot..... Dang it....

12. zidane_genome

United States

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11oneoneone

YOU CAN'T!

END!

13. teq

Member teq GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I forgot to mention before, that there is one software hack that exists, but it's extremely messy.

A homebrew tool to transfer GameCube saves to and from the SD slot is available. Granted, this doesn't give you access to the SD slot from GameCube games, but it does extend the storage capacity of your GameCube memory card.

GameCube memory cards are essentially repackaged SD cards. Tracing the connections to the SD slot allows it to be mapped to the GameCube memory card slot.

So, it should actually work.

The SD Gecko was a special case and I can't really provide an explanation why it wouldn't work with all games.

14. deba94

Member deba94 GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    It's true: http://ngc.scorpei.com/GUIDE-SD_adapter.html
    Turning any gamecube memory card into an sd gecko is quite easy. Nintendo should have made them with sd slots to begin with [​IMG]

15. teq

United States
    Sadly, they want you to buy more than one.

16. Arakon

Member Arakon GBAtemp Fan

Germany
    it doesn't. it uses the sd protocol basically, but memcards are still implemented differently. the sd card as actual saving device is only supported by AC, and even then only a special version that wasn't released outside of japan.

17. teq

United States
    Then it has to be a software issue. The cards must carry a header or something.

Hardware wise, everything is identical.

18. Jademalo

United Kingdom
    im telling you, and im fairly sure of this, people would have tried it and failed, and im sure the game itsself needs some extra coding for SD saving, and im sure animal crossing has that extra coding. so, in theory, we need to make a GAMECUBE homebrew here, not a wii one.

19. zeyu6

Newcomer zeyu6 Member

Australia
    THE TRUTH!

IT IS POSSIBLE TO USE AN SD CARD AS A GAMECUBE MEMORY CARD!!! ALL WE NEED IS A SMART ENOUGH GUY(e.g. Waninkoko) TO MESS AROUND WITH THE MIOS OF THE WII SYSTEM AND BREW UP A CMIOS THAT CAN ACCESS THE WII COMPONENTS. But Unfortunately for us, no wii homebrew nerd is bothered to brew up a cmios, they're currently too busy figuring out ways to hack system menu 4.3 [​IMG] [​IMG]

20. elimist

Member elimist GBAtemp Regular

United States
    You do know that this is 2 years old don't you? and don't forget about dios mios

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.