Homebrew Demo of Sonic The Hedgehog for PSX available

sonicPSX.png

Brazilian user TiagoSC has released a WIP homebrew demo of Sonic The Hedgehog for the PlayStation (PSX). The demo itself is based on the Sonic Engine for SNES which TiagoSC himself developed previously. Tiago has also worked on other amazing homebrew demos, like a Megaman X port to the Sega Genesis / Mega Drive.

The demo has even been tested in original hardware, with consoles like the PSOne, SCPH1001 and SCPH550; and while the project's original schedule for a final release was set due to 2 month since August, 2022, Tiago is still working on the project, with the latest update being on January 1st, 2023. Those interested in the demo can download and try it for themselves from the link below.

:arrow: Source

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
This is for the PlayStation 1, NOT the PSX. And yes, they are two different consoles. It's confusing because the PSX homebrew scene is currently active, too.
The PS1 was originally developed under the code name PSX, the name is commonly associated with it, and has been since before the PS2 or the PSX digital recorder were a twinkle in Sony’s eye. There’s a reason why PlayStation magazines at the time used the PSX moniker in their name. The reason why the later machine adopted the name was to echo the MSX naming convention, but all it caused was confusion over the years, similar to Xbox 1 and Xbox One. For all intents and purposes the PSX is a digital recorder with an integrated PS2, so taking about it like it’s its own thing is silly.

Brawl345

Trophies
Website
wiidatabase.de
XP
Country
Germany
For all intents and purposes the PSX is a digital recorder with an integrated PS2, so taking about it like it’s its own thing is silly.
There is MUCH more to the PSX then just a PS2. It has it's own firmware, encryption, etc. It's not "a digital recorder with an integrated PS2", that's just so wrong on so many levels. Can it at least please be changed in the title?

is commonly associated with it
which is false and should not be encouraged since it leads to confusion to everybody in the scene. At least the title should be corrected.

Context my friend, context is everything.
"for PSX" in the title. Only in the second paragraph you can see that it's not actually the PSX. Has nothing to do with the language you speak...

• Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: niuus and SylverReZ

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
"for PSX" in the title. Only in the second paragraph you can see that it's not actually the PSX. Has nothing to do with the language you speak...
There you go, it's there on second paragraph and you noticed. Why so confused if you realized is there?

Also, the Playstation X is ultra obscure anyway so 99.99999% of time you read PSX on internet it's not for the Playstation X

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There is MUCH more to the PSX then just a PS2. It has it's own firmware, encryption, etc. It's not "a digital recorder with an integrated PS2", that's just so wrong on so many levels. Can it at least please be changed in the title?
..Did you miss the 'For all intents and purposes' part of his post, or did you simply not understand it?

'MUCH more' - oooh it's got an early version of the xmb! AND it can't run certain games! Or use a multitap! Yeah, SOOO much more to the PSX... :lol:

Reactions: Kioku and Foxi4

Brawl345

Trophies
Website
wiidatabase.de
XP
Country
Germany
'MUCH more' - oooh it's got an early version of the xmb! AND it can't run certain games! Or use a multitap! Yeah, SOOO much more to the PSX... :lol:
You clearly have no idea what you are talking about. The title is misleading because it refers to another console, that was my only criticism. Why so weirdly defensive?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

which is false and should not be encouraged since it leads to confusion to everybody in the scene. At least the title should be corrected.
1536F902-3227-42F4-ADD5-1F233800E246.jpeg

No.
..Did you miss the 'For all intents and purposes' part of his post, or did you simply not understand it?

It’s literally a PS2 and a DVR bashed together, running a different firmware. Even PS2Dev Wiki considers it a PS2 variant, and trust me, they’d know what it is. Nobody’s confused, everybody immediately understood that it’s a PS1 homebrew.

https://playstationdev.wiki/ps2devwiki/index.php/PSX

Last edited by Foxi4,

Brawl345

Trophies
Website
wiidatabase.de
XP
Country
Germany
It’s literally a PS2 and a DVR bashed together, running a different firmware. Even PS2Dev Wiki considers it a PS2 variant, and trust me, they’d know what it is.
Then you didn't read good enough because I literally developed tools for the PSX firmware, they are nothing alike.
everybody
Not true as you can see. Especially in a homebrew & hacking forum this mistake should be corrected.

Stop while you're ahead b/c you're starting to sound like a "Karen".
Stop while you're ahead b/c you're starting to sound like a "moderator bootlicker".

• Angry
Reactions: SylverReZ

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This is for the PlayStation 1, NOT the PSX. And yes, they are two different consoles. It's confusing because the PSX homebrew scene is currently active, too.
It was called the PSX in magazines back in the day, this is not to be confused with the PSX DVR console.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Then you didn't read good enough because I literally developed tools for the PSX firmware, they are nothing alike.

Not true as you can see. Especially in a homebrew & hacking forum this mistake should be corrected.

Stop while you're ahead b/c you're starting to sound like a "moderator bootlicker".
The only person in the entire thread who seems to care is you. Your request has some merit in the sense that yes, the PS1 (also known as PSX) and the PSX (the unfortunately-named digital recorder) are two different products. Since you threw a giant tantrum, I’m going to ignore it. The PS1 was, is, and always will be, recognised as “PSX” - that was its code name, that’s what people call it colloquially and there is nothing wrong with that. Whenever someone uses the term, in 99.9% of cases they’re referring to the PS1, and that’s a fact. I see no benefit in policing people’s language - if anyone’s at fault for any resulting confusion, it’s Sony themselves for calling their PS2-based DVR the same way people (and they themselves internally) called a previous system. Many people have called the PS1 “PSX” since the 90’s, there’s no reason to start correcting them now, nearly 3 decades later.

https://www.ign.com/articles/1996/12/14/whys-it-called-psx

Pedantism and rudeness will take you nowhere. Now, I’d appreciate it if you stopped derailing the thread.

Brawl345

Trophies
Website
wiidatabase.de
XP
Country
Germany
Since you threw a giant tantrum, I’m going to ignore it.
I was just asking normally (my first post was neither rude nor aggressive) and got attacked by various members so I replied back and now I'm at fault? Including you, a moderator that should resolve conflicts nontheless.
Besides the question was for @ShadowOne333 who wrote the news.

Cris1997XX

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
So, after the shitshow by that certain dude ended...this project seems promising, but I KNOW Tiago won't complete it. He hasn't finished Mega Man X on MD, he hasn't finished Sonic 1 on SNES and I'm sure the same will apply here. It's kinda unfortunate

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: @Xdqwerty, Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! is the Japanese version of the game, different...