Homebrew crashing constantly. Different type of crash every time.

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Coconuts 500, Dec 25, 2011.

1. Coconuts 500
    OP

Newcomer Coconuts 500 Advanced Member

My launch Wii crashes every time I try homebrew. I only use WiiMC and emulators, and neither are working properly. I have been using this for years and it has worked rather well for all this time, but since yesterday, nothing works right anymore. I have not made any changes to anything. It just simply stopped working.

Whenever I try homebrew, the thing crashes. Usually within seconds, sometimes after some time (usually shortly after loading a ROM). The type of crash is different every time. Bsod, controller stops responding, weird sound with crash, garbled graphics, etc, etc.

The Wii seems to work normally for gaming with CFG loader, etc. Menu seems fine.

WiiMC is the biggest culprit, and always has been, actually. Very, very unstable. But up until now emulators have been working really well. I have the latest versions of everything.

What could be wrong?

2. DeadlyFoez

Member DeadlyFoez Banned

United States
    Either you could have your RAM going bad on you....but doubtful. Most likely those apps got updated and now the rest of your system needs an update too, most importantly IOS58 and HBC. If you want to just update absolutely everything then you can just run ModMii and tell it that your wii is not a virgin but you want to update everything.

3. Coconuts 500
    OP

All IOS versions are up to date, as is HBC. As I mentioned, I didn't actually do anything. The emulators and WiiMC haven't been updated in months. These things just started happening on their own.

4. tueidj

Member tueidj I R Expert

Let me guess: the wii used to have wifi access but it's no longer available?

5. Coconuts 500
    OP

I just came in here to mention exactly that! :) That is indeed the only difference from before.

How can it have such a big impact?

I had not yet updated my new wifi password into the Wii, but I will do it now. I assume everything will work right again, after that. :)

6. DeadlyFoez

Member DeadlyFoez Banned

United States
    good call tueidj.

I don't know why that didn't come to my mind. Maybe just being sick and too busy to think straight, or even just something I would have never thought of.

7. XFlak

Member XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Canada
    @Coconuts 500, there's an issue with the HBC where apps it loads may fail if it can't establish an internet connection and if ahbprot is enabled (ie. "no_ios_reload" tag in the meta.xml). Other than establishing a wifi connection, u can use 3 other options to work around the problem.

1) revert to older versions of the emulators and wiimc that use IOS202 instead of ahbprot+ios58. You'll need to read the changelogs to find the right version
    2) remove the no_ios_reload tag from the meta.xml. This will fix the problem but disable dvd access in those apps. That shouldn't be an issue for u as long as ur not loading roms or videos off of dvd
    3) install ahbprot enabled forwarder channels for the apps and launch them from there instead of the HBC. You can find a bunch in my top wii channels thread or most of the apps u mention also have official channel installer that u can just run from the HBC to install.