Hacking Homebrew cheat apps not working no matter WHAT!

SG

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Right, seriously - this problem has plagued me for years. I love using codes to change aspects of games. LOVE THEM.

However, ever since I tried using cheats on my Wii - regardless of menu version - I've only ever been able to activate 1 at a time through Code Manager - (Accio Hacks doesn't seem to like me at all) and use it through Gecko, regardless of menu version. I'm definitely doing it right, but if ever I select more than 1 cheat (gct file generated completely OK), Gecko comes up with:

IMAGE - can't display in the forum or some reason

BUT, using only 1 code works OK.

And if I use NeoGamma, it starts loading the game but freezes on the 'Loading game' screen.

I recently decided enough is enough and I want to be able to use codes properly, both on Accio, Code Manager, whatever. So I've just done a clean install on my Wii with a fresh nand and tried it out AGAIN and it's just like before, so it must be a hardware issue. I've tried different SD cards and that hasn't changed anything. So... what else could there possibly be causing this issue? If I can't solve this I'm going to have to end up getting another Wii (which will be a massive issue as I imported mine from America, and won't have boot2), because I'm missing out on a lot of fun.
frown.gif

Could different IOS numbers have anything to do with it? I don't really understand much about them... (or at all).
Can I run homebrew off a USB key maybe?

SG

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've tried t with 3 different games, yes. Any cheats.

I've checked over it so many times, it's all correct. Could there maybe be something in Gecko's options that could be changed?

SG

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thanks, but as I said it freezes whenever I use NeoGamma.

I'll try tinkering with the options a bit - but I need to know which ones would be worth altering?

Can I ask what you mean by "GCT and or it's location over the the actual loader"? I can even generate a gct on the PC and put it on the card and it'll still crash in Gecko/freeze with NG.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
The hook type is very impotant, please try them all. Also, sometimes some gamecube or usb hardware messes stuff up, so disconnect everything you don't need right now.

Maybe you upload 2-3 example .gct files for other people to test them? It would help narrowing down the cause of the problem.

Hells Guardian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GCT files are the cheat files that Neogamma and other cheating tools reads when trying to load cheats. the GCT file contains all the codes you are looking to use. As wiipower said try different hook types and his other suggestions.

SG

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
AHA! I'll do that guys but first of all I think I may have found the problem as to why it only works with 1 cheat...

http://forum.wiibrew.org/read.php?21,41733,41733

QUOTE said:
If you are using notepad or many of the other windows text editors, that is your problem. wiicm and probably Cheat Manager use linux style carriage returns to identify the end of each line. This can be resolved by creating your custom txt file using Programmers Notepad(this is part of devkitPRO for windows.)

I sort of get why there's a problem but don't know how to go about resolving it. Almost all of my cheats are what I resorted to in the end to get them working which is single copied-and-pasted codes in Notepad, 1 cheat per text file. Those work. The multi-cheat text files where I would select which cheats I do and don't want activated have been my own custom copy-and-pasting, not direct downloading - I set the codes apart and formatted them properly as the instructions said as they appear in Notepad.

e.g.

Code:
SB4E01
Super Mario Galaxy 2

Maximum BankToad Starbits (Will have effect after a withdrawal or deposit) [Anarion]
42000000 81000000
0252B36A 0000270F
E0000000 80008000

...that works. But this...
CODESB4E01
Super Mario Galaxy 2

Don't lose coins when dying [dcx2]
044C92AC 60000000

No Deadly Surfaces [dcx2]
C2039888 0000000A
48000005 7C8802A6
38840014 7C6418AE
48000038 00000000
00000203 00050607

Infinite Health [wiiztec]
043CA24C 60000000

...doesn't work. If someone understands the quote above exactly, could they explain the formatting problem? I think I may be onto the solution here!

jceggbert5

Check out my hack, New Retro Mario Bros.
Trophies
Website
romhaxor.bplaced.net
XP
Country
United States
SG said:
AHA! I'll do that guys but first of all I think I may have found the problem as to why it only works with 1 cheat...

http://forum.wiibrew.org/read.php?21,41733,41733

QUOTE said:
If you are using notepad or many of the other windows text editors, that is your problem. wiicm and probably Cheat Manager use linux style carriage returns to identify the end of each line. This can be resolved by creating your custom txt file using Programmers Notepad(this is part of devkitPRO for windows.)

I sort of get why there's a problem but don't know how to go about resolving it. Almost all of my cheats are what I resorted to in the end to get them working which is single copied-and-pasted codes in Notepad, 1 cheat per text file. Those work. The multi-cheat text files where I would select which cheats I do and don't want activated have been my own custom copy-and-pasting, not direct downloading - I set the codes apart and formatted them properly as the instructions said as they appear in Notepad.

e.g.

Code:
SB4E01
Super Mario Galaxy 2

Maximum BankToad Starbits (Will have effect after a withdrawal or deposit) [Anarion]
42000000 81000000
0252B36A 0000270F
E0000000 80008000

...that works. But this...
CODESB4E01
Super Mario Galaxy 2

044C92AC 60000000

No Deadly Surfaces [dcx2]
C2039888 0000000A
48000005 7C8802A6
38840014 7C6418AE
48000038 00000000
00000203 00050607

Infinite Health [wiiztec]
043CA24C 60000000

...doesn't work. If someone understands the quote above exactly, could they explain the formatting problem? I think I may be onto the solution here!
fix0red

SG

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ah, I see what I did there - there are many multi-cheat pages I have saved that are perfect - that one I just so happen to have borked.

For those wondering,
Code:
044C92AC 60000000
initially looked like
Code:
044C92AC 60000000
SB4E01
Super Mario Galaxy 2

The problem still exists; I'm sure it's a problem with the carriage return or some kind of formatting like in the quote.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If you use this online generator, it should just work grand. Just paste the codes in to the box and it should all work nicely: http://geckocodes.org/index.php?gct=

EDIT: Or if you go to the page on geckocodes.org for any particular game, there is a button at the top to export to GCT (looks like this: "->GCT"), click it and then on "Download GCT" on the next page.

SG

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thanks, I've come across that before and tried it again earlier and although the game loaded OK, it's pretty troublesome to have to make a separate gct file every time you want to add or take away a cheat (let alone modify one).

From what I can figure, I need to do a linux-style line break as opposed to a Windows one which includes a carriage return. That much I've figured out - how to do it is another thing entirely! I'm guessing it's very simple for someone with knowledge of text programs.

alexcalibur

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't tried this, so I'm not going to say it will work. But I use notepad++ for my text editing, and in edit-> EOL conversion, it can convert between windows, UNIX, and Mac. It's come in handy once before when I had an issue between windows/linux line endings in my programming class. Is that what you're looking for?

SG

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
alexcalibur said:
I haven't tried this, so I'm not going to say it will work. But I use notepad++ for my text editing, and in edit-> EOL conversion, it can convert between windows, UNIX, and Mac. It's come in handy once before when I had an issue between windows/linux line endings in my programming class. Is that what you're looking for?
That is exactly what my guess was; so thanks to you I now know how to use N++ to make cheats work properly, I hope... I'l get back to you when I've tried!

SifJar, I'd be interested in knowing what that is!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: roms wont boot with wood r4menu