Homebrew cheat apps not working no matter WHAT!

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by SG, Apr 29, 2011.

Apr 29, 2011
  1. SG
    OP

Member SG GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Right, seriously - this problem has plagued me for years. I love using codes to change aspects of games. LOVE THEM.

However, ever since I tried using cheats on my Wii - regardless of menu version - I've only ever been able to activate 1 at a time through Code Manager - (Accio Hacks doesn't seem to like me at all) and use it through Gecko, regardless of menu version. I'm definitely doing it right, but if ever I select more than 1 cheat (gct file generated completely OK), Gecko comes up with:

IMAGE - can't display in the forum or some reason

BUT, using only 1 code works OK.

And if I use NeoGamma, it starts loading the game but freezes on the 'Loading game' screen.

I recently decided enough is enough and I want to be able to use codes properly, both on Accio, Code Manager, whatever. So I've just done a clean install on my Wii with a fresh nand and tried it out AGAIN and it's just like before, so it must be a hardware issue. I've tried different SD cards and that hasn't changed anything. So... what else could there possibly be causing this issue? If I can't solve this I'm going to have to end up getting another Wii (which will be a massive issue as I imported mine from America, and won't have boot2), because I'm missing out on a lot of fun. [​IMG]

Could different IOS numbers have anything to do with it? I don't really understand much about them... (or at all).
    Can I run homebrew off a USB key maybe?

2. OmegaVesko

Member OmegaVesko GBAtemp Regular

Yugoslavia
    Huh, that really is weird. Does this happen when using ANY two codes together? For ANY game?

3. SG
    OP

Member SG GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    I've tried t with 3 different games, yes. Any cheats.

I've checked over it so many times, it's all correct. Could there maybe be something in Gecko's options that could be changed?

4. Hells Guardian

Member Hells Guardian GBAtemp Maniac

United States
  5. SG
    OP

Member SG GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Thanks, but as I said it freezes whenever I use NeoGamma.

I'll try tinkering with the options a bit - but I need to know which ones would be worth altering?

Can I ask what you mean by "GCT and or it's location over the the actual loader"? I can even generate a gct on the PC and put it on the card and it'll still crash in Gecko/freeze with NG.

6. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    The hook type is very impotant, please try them all. Also, sometimes some gamecube or usb hardware messes stuff up, so disconnect everything you don't need right now.

Maybe you upload 2-3 example .gct files for other people to test them? It would help narrowing down the cause of the problem.

7. Hells Guardian

Member Hells Guardian GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    GCT files are the cheat files that Neogamma and other cheating tools reads when trying to load cheats. the GCT file contains all the codes you are looking to use. As wiipower said try different hook types and his other suggestions.

8. SG
    OP

Member SG GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    AHA! I'll do that guys but first of all I think I may have found the problem as to why it only works with 1 cheat...

http://forum.wiibrew.org/read.php?21,41733,41733

...doesn't work. If someone understands the quote above exactly, could they explain the formatting problem? I think I may be onto the solution here!

9. jceggbert5

Member jceggbert5 Check out my hack, New Retro Mario Bros.

United States
    fix0red

10. SG
    OP

Member SG GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Ah, I see what I did there - there are many multi-cheat pages I have saved that are perfect - that one I just so happen to have borked.

For those wondering,
    Code:
    Don't lose coins when dying [dcx2]
    044C92AC 60000000
    initially looked like
    Code:
    Don't lose coins when dying [dcx2]
    044C92AC 60000000
    SB4E01
    Super Mario Galaxy 2
    The problem still exists; I'm sure it's a problem with the carriage return or some kind of formatting like in the quote.

11. jceggbert5

Member jceggbert5 Check out my hack, New Retro Mario Bros.

United States
    the what?

12. SG
    OP

Member SG GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    When you press enter, or 'return', you go down a line and start at the left again.

13. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    If you use this online generator, it should just work grand. Just paste the codes in to the box and it should all work nicely: http://geckocodes.org/index.php?gct=

EDIT: Or if you go to the page on geckocodes.org for any particular game, there is a button at the top to export to GCT (looks like this: "->GCT"), click it and then on "Download GCT" on the next page.

14. SG
    OP

Member SG GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Thanks, I've come across that before and tried it again earlier and although the game loaded OK, it's pretty troublesome to have to make a separate gct file every time you want to add or take away a cheat (let alone modify one).

From what I can figure, I need to do a linux-style line break as opposed to a Windows one which includes a carriage return. That much I've figured out - how to do it is another thing entirely! I'm guessing it's very simple for someone with knowledge of text programs.

15. alexcalibur

Member alexcalibur GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I haven't tried this, so I'm not going to say it will work. But I use notepad++ for my text editing, and in edit-> EOL conversion, it can convert between windows, UNIX, and Mac. It's come in handy once before when I had an issue between windows/linux line endings in my programming class. Is that what you're looking for?

16. SifJar

United Kingdom
    Yeah Notepad++ does the trick. There is also a command line tool available AFAIK that converts the line endings.

17. SG
    OP

Member SG GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    That is exactly what my guess was; so thanks to you I now know how to use N++ to make cheats work properly, I hope... I'l get back to you when I've tried!

SifJar, I'd be interested in knowing what that is!

18. SifJar

United Kingdom