Hacking Homebrew channel won't recognize my usb pendrive after it being formatted

OliverTsubasa

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I homebrewed my Wii Mini with a 30gb usb pendrive (fat32), I installed usb loader gx and some emulators. Recently, I needed the pendrive for some school work, so I backed up all files to my pc and formatted it (still in fat32). After finishing the work, I put all files back to the pendrive, but now homebrew channel won't show any apps. I loaded the apps from usb loader gx and they also don't recognize the pen drive. So the only thing that recognizes my pendrive is usb loader gx. Is there any fix to this? (sorry for bad english)

Vahe61

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Armenia
first let's make sure if your USB drive is formatted to fat32 and put it in correct usb port

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
HBC is compatible only with MBR partition tables.
you'll have to convert it, there are probably easy to find guides on google.
You can do it in Disk management, right click on the hardware device, at the left of the partitions (you probably need to delete all partition on that device first to unlock the conversion option).
Once done, add a new primary partition to that device and format it to FAT32.

Last edited by Cyan,

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador
Reactions: jeannotte

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
not all homebrew are, but HBC is.
USBLoaders and nintendont are compatible with GPT.
I'd have to dig out the thread, but recently someone had a hdd that was GPT and was not working properly with usb loaders. Changing to MBR sorted out this issue. So while I don't doubt what you say, that usb loaders support GPT, I think it's possible that MBR has greater compatibility than GPT. Does that make sense?

Reactions: jeannotte

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
That may be the case, I think I was users having issues too, but nothing which can't be fixed I think.
USBGX had a bug where it mounted twice the amount of found partitions when using GPT, and if using different partition format then accessing the second partition was expecting the same format than the first. (if it make sense)
NTFS + FAT was seen as NTFS + NTFS + FAT + FAT, accessing the second one (as FAT) the loader used NTFS lib as it thought second was also NTFS.
I'm not sure I fixed that problem in my latest revision, but I did fix a partition numbering issue.

But GPT is only a partition table which define the partitions position and type, then the partition itself is identical whether it's MBR or GPT.
maybe the real issue if when using GPT with too big partitions ?

Logging the partition details that the loaders finds and listing the one it uses could be useful to find where the problem is.
but I'm not active anymore, only blackb0x could try that for now if it's for USBGX.

Reactions: XFlak and jeannotte

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
That may be the case, I think I was users having issues too, but nothing which can't be fixed I think.
USBGX had a bug where it mounted twice the amount of found partitions when using GPT, and if using different partition format then accessing the second partition was expecting the same format than the first. (if it make sense)
NTFS + FAT was seen as NTFS + NTFS + FAT + FAT, accessing the second one (as FAT) the loader used NTFS lib as it thought second was also NTFS.
I'm not sure I fixed that problem in my latest revision, but I did fix a partition numbering issue.

But GPT is only a partition table which define the partitions position and type, then the partition itself is identical whether it's MBR or GPT.
maybe the real issue if when using GPT with too big partitions ?

Logging the partition details that the loaders finds and listing the one it uses could be useful to find where the problem is.
but I'm not active anymore, only blackb0x could try that for now if it's for USBGX.
Tagging @blackb0x to get the right eyes on this. Thx guys!

blackb0x

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Tagging @blackb0x to get the right eyes on this. Thx guys!
I've never personally used GPT with my Wii to confirm if it's working correctly, but I did include a GPT fix that Cyan shared in my second release. And then in a later release I improved NTFS support and fixed HDD size detection.

If I can get another HDD setup I'll test things out before I release my next update.

Last edited by blackb0x,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)