Hacking Homebrew Channel will not Launch Bootmii to restore from NAND backup

Johnny Raisu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought a used Wii three months ago so that I could Softmod it to region change and play Japanese only games and perhaps use as a DVD player. The Wii's serial number is LU5xxxxx, and it can play DVD movies and read DVDRs. The person had updated it with 4.3U from Nintendo, making its boot2 v4. The install bootmii menu only had an iOS option.

Upon receiving it, I opened up a brand new Transcend 2GB SD card (not the 150x version). To my surprise, it worked perfectly when the wiibrew.org Bootmii compatibility list said it didn't work... Being a newbie to Wii hacking, I uncompressed Microwave Sam's Wii Hack Pack.rar, which included many different apps and channels, and followed his guide. One of the first things I did after I installed the Homebrew channel was made a NAND backup. I installed homebrew channel, I prepared SD card, installed bootmii to iOS, and the prepared SD card again just like the videos instructed. Both Bootmii and a NAND backup were compatible with my SD card. Because, after all, I chose Launch Bootmii and then did a NAND backup to start with.

Fast forward to one month later, right when I finally get a Japanese import I wanted... Suddenly my My Photo Channel could not read SD cards due to a folder named "task" which contained 6 GB, 2 GB, and 2 500k files (on a 2 GB SD card?). In addition, I had to now tilt my Wiimote to the left and upside down to be able to navigate the System Menu. Holding the Wiimote normally with the buttons facing the ceiling would not work anymore. On the Homebrew Channel I could use the Wiimote as normal, with the buttons on the top side.

I tried everything, I tried installing Photo Channels downloaded from NUS downloader, I tried a blank card with nothing but a bootmii directory with the ppcboot files, then later adding Loadmii and trying it with that. I even opened up a brand new SD card, and tried a blank brand new Sandisk SD card which was said to work with everything... nothing worked!
Then weeks later I tried and moved everything off the SD card and reformatted the SD card, and then moved everything back, except the task directory with weird file sizes 6 GB file on 2 GB SD card of course. My Photo Channel now worked, but my Homebrew channel still could not Launch Bootmii from the Home menu, and I still had to tilt my Wiimote to the left.

This is what happens. I take my Wiimote, (tilting it to the left until it's half way to being fully upside down), select Homebrew Channel with cursor, click Start. Then after taking my Wiimote and turn it back to normal position with the buttons facing up, I then press home and move the cursor over Launch Bootmii and press A. Nothing happens. The screen goes blank saying "Video1" after I turn it off. Video1 is what it says when the Wii is off.

My new SD card is a FAT32 Kingston microSDHC adapter with 4GB microSDHC card, which is listed in the wiibrew.org Bootmii compatibility list as working. (under NAND backup it said they haven't checked to see if that worked, but it was confirmed to load Bootmii)
Launching Bootmii from iOS using "Launch Bootmii" from the Home menu actually shows some white text, then shows the entire directory scrolling by, finally ending with a blank screen. Other times it freezes or hangs. Once I ran Multi-Mod Manager, and then tried to Launch Bootmii from this 4GB SD card, and it did the white text showing the entire directory, and then it loaded Multi-Mod Manager instead of Bootmii. Weird.

I've tried much advice from both Google, the Internet, and chatting with Wii hackers for the past 3 months, to no success. Someone even said to get a gamecube controller, but what's the point if I can't start Bootmii?

I feel frustrated because I have a Japanese import here waiting to be played, but can't play it because I have to tilt the Wiimote upside down and can't restore from a NAND backup.

How do I restore from my original NAND backup? How can I reinstall the Homebrew channel to boot2 via iOS? I want to wipe whatever flash chips hold the Wii flash data and boot2 clean, and then restore from a backup or a clean boot2 and install homebrew from there.

I've heard of NAND flashing devices that are able to flash truly bricked Wiis that don't do anything. Could this solve my problem?

If there is no way to find information on doing this, I'd be willing to pay money to buy the ability or for a device to completely wipe the Wii flash chips again and again. To reinitialize everything including boot2 to make a clean boot2 to reinstall Homebrew. For less than $40 of course, because $40-$55 is how much I could pay to buy a used Wii console.

Maybe my Wii console doesn't seem like it's a brick, but because I can't Launch Bootmii from the Homebrew Home button menu no matter how hard I try, it really is a semi-brick? Please help!

Maybe I should just give up and buy a Japanese Wii console. I like the Homebrew channel for everything it turns the Wii into. Homebrew channel is awesome and that's why I bought a US Wii console in the first place. But if you can't restore from a backup when you run into a problem, what's the point?

Johnny Raisu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried BootIOS.dol and BootIOS.elf. I replaced the original boot.elf and boot.dol on two SD cards. it is still going blank or loading Multi-Mod Manager instead of BootMii. I also put those files in an apps/bootios folder with nothing showing on the Homebrew menu.

I think there is a problem outside the SD card because when I use a totally blank card it still disconnects video to show Video1 on the television.

What do you think of Infectus, is it worth it in this case? I believe I have to wipe my Wii. Can Infectus v2 be obtained for $50 or less with a cable?

It's been troublesome finding info because few people are into Wii anymore.

can't find this flasher link, is a NAND flasher worth building?
http://czi.uni.cc/?p=110&cpage=1#comment-112

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Delete sd:\bootmii
install hackmii installer boot.elf to sd:\apps\hackmii\boot.elf
Launch hackmii from hbc, goto bootmii, install as ios and prepare sd card
Exit hackmii to hbc, load bootmii from hbc menu.
have nand.bin and key.bin on sd card and restore

warning: if things go wrong, you can't load bootmii ios to fix things again. be very sure you want to do this. you might not like the result. not recommended

Johnny Raisu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I followed your instructions until a point. I decided to delete the Homebrew channel first because I felt it was the Homebrew channel itself that was causing problems.
When I attempt to do a Letterbomb to reinstall Homebrew channel, it doesn't show the Red Envelope. I use red or blue wire from please.hackmii.com
I downgraded to 4.1U, and when I try to do a Wii Update through Nintendo to 4.3U, it gives System Error 32004.

This error says:

Error Code: 32004
Was this information helpful?

Lost connection during Wii system update
Likely cause: Your wireless router may need to be power cycled, or the connection settings have changed.
How to fix: Power cycle your router; redo the connection settings on the Wii and try again.
  • Did this connection used to work but has suddenly stopped? "Power cycle" your router and modem. To do this, unplug both the modem and the router from the power outlet. Wait a few minutes, and plug the modem back in. Wait a couple of minutes for the modem to initialize, then plug in the router. Try to connect the Wii, Nintendo DS, or Nintendo 3DS online and test for proper response.
Other suggestions:
  • It has been found that this Error Code may appear during a Wii System Update if a Wii console has been modified to run unofficial software. If your Wii console has been modified to run unofficial software, we are unable to provide additional support for your Wii System Update issue.

Since I can't upgrade:
---------------------------
I tried using Bannerbomb for 4.1U since LetterBomb won't work on 4.1U.
I tried this Bannerbomb --> http://bannerbomb.qoid.us/index.old.php
When I open up the SD card folder, the entire Wii system freezes so I have to turn it off.

I can't upgrade to 4.3U through Nintendo, and Bannerbomb on a fresh SD card crashes it.

What do I do next to solve this new problem? I am glad I deleted the homebrew channel.

It looks like I have to do a game exploit now. Do I have to buy Lego Indiana Jones, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, or another exploitable game now? Which is the best game to buy for exploitation? Or doesn't the game matter?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Also nice. Never really watched Fallout on Prime, but sounds like a good show. +1