Hacking Homebrew Channel disappeared and can't update BootMii

SoupNBread

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I've borrowed a copy of Tatsunoko vs Capcom and wanted to run Riivolution for song replacement but I've come across a problem. My homebrew channel has seemed to have disappeared. It's been awhile since I've played our wii and I know it's been updated without my knowledge(family members buying new games and whatnot) so I don't know if that could have removed it.

So the problem currently is that there's no HBC channel, nor can I run it through bootmii. I figured I could run the hackmii installer to update and reinstall HBC. Attempting to run the boot.elf from the bootmii SD explorer(since I can't update through HBC) it tells me it just can't run and running the bootmini.elf gives me

This installer can NOT continue!

There is no known vulnerable IOS installed on this Wii.
Please note that we will not use a fakesigned IOS due to security reasons.

Look for an updated version at:
Http://bootmii.org

If this is the latest version... well, suck it.

>Exit

and attempting to SmashStack comes up with the same thing. I'm at a loss of what to do or where to even go from here. I'm currently on 4.3u. Is there a way to uninstall the current version of BootMii and then reinstall with a SmashStack? Or will that just come up with the same 'Installer can NOT continue' message? This isn't overly urgent, but something I'd like to get fixed.

PPSainity

Blinded by Science
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The makers of the HackMii Installer made it so that it will only use official untouched Nintendo IOS. Chances are that you used some sort of utility like Waninkoko's Firmware Updater, Pimp-My-Wii, or DARKCORP, which go hog wild and patch every IOS in the Wii. What you can do is download Multi-Mod Manager and run it from BootMii/SmashStack. You can use MMM to re-download official IOS, specifically IOS58 which is what you'll need to run the HackMii Installer.

-[]D

SoupNBread

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I just got back and started to look into things and I remember I dicked around with IOS files trying to get GC backups to work. I'll try this out and see if I can get it working

EDIT: I can't seem to get MMM to launch. Smash Stacking stats that it's not a valid .elf(might be due in part to the original file being a .dol but it always looks for a boot.elf as opposed to a .dol) and running through the SD manage in BootMii tells me that fails to boot(the only file I've had success booting through the SD interface is bootmini from the recent HackMii). Am I doing the SmashStack wrong to get it to run or could it be due to messed up IOS?

geeb2002

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

PPSainity

Blinded by Science
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
SoupNBread said:
Yeah, I just got back and started to look into things and I remember I dicked around with IOS files trying to get GC backups to work. I'll try this out and see if I can get it working

EDIT: I can't seem to get MMM to launch. Smash Stacking stats that it's not a valid .elf(might be due in part to the original file being a .dol but it always looks for a boot.elf as opposed to a .dol) and running through the SD manage in BootMii tells me that fails to boot(the only file I've had success booting through the SD interface is bootmini from the recent HackMii). Am I doing the SmashStack wrong to get it to run or could it be due to messed up IOS?
My bad, in my earlier post I suggested using BootMii to load MMM, but there is no MINI versions of MMM, sheesh what was I thinking. I forget more about this hobby every day....

What you want to do is unzip the "bootmini.elf" from the HackMii Installer package, place it on your SD card and run that from BootMii's SD Browser. That will start the HackMii Installer without using any IOS. Now I don't know if this will bypass any of the sanity checks that the installer does on IOS to see if they are patched, but lets hope it does.

It's weird that you could not load MMM using the SmashStack exploit. Have you tried similar homebrew like the non-WiiBrew Edition of Dop-Mii?

-[]D

75UR15

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have the option to bannerbomb (4.2 or lower) you can use that to run mmm as "boot.dol" do NOT rename it as a .elf. I have done that, I have not tried running a .dol from smashstack. The bannerbomb though should be able to run most .dol/.elf files (just don't have more than one boot.xxx where xxx is .dol or .elf).
Further, mmm can then be used to start other programs from there
smile.gif

SoupNBread

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PPSainity said:
What you want to do is unzip the "bootmini.elf" from the HackMii Installer package, place it on your SD card and run that from BootMii's SD Browser. That will start the HackMii Installer without using any IOS. Now I don't know if this will bypass any of the sanity checks that the installer does on IOS to see if they are patched, but lets hope it does.

It's weird that you could not load MMM using the SmashStack exploit. Have you tried similar homebrew like the non-WiiBrew Edition of Dop-Mii?

-[]D
I've tried running the bootmini.elf on multiple occasions and it doesn't bypass IOS checks and gives me the same error. I'll try running something else as well through the smashstack to see if I can get anything working other than the HackMii boot.elf. I'll try it again with what ModMii gave me since I may have done something wrong when I set it up manually.

I'll have to try once I'm back from work though, so it'll be a bit
glare.gif

SoupNBread

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, just got it to Smash Stack into MMM. Is there a way to view which IOS files need to be updated/reinstalled? I'd rather just be running all clean IOS files since I have no need for cIOS' anymore.

SoupNBread

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, last try on finding help here since what's come so far has been helpful but now I feel extremely stuck. I can SmashStack into MMM and I have all the IOS files loaded onto my SD and on my PSP for USB but in MMM it always fails to load both the SD and the USB, which means I have no way to patch my IOS'. Is there any way around this?

WalkerOfTheDay

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Install Modmii on your pc (it's in my sig), select: H = HackMii Solutions (Upside-Down HBC/No Vulnerable IOS Fix) + Guide

Follow the guide, and your good to go !

Ps.
What kind of SD-card are you using ? NON-SDHC is highly recommended ! So please use a normal 2 GB SD card.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
WalkerOfTheDay said:
Install Modmii on your pc (it's in my sig), select: H = HackMii Solutions (Upside-Down HBC/No Vulnerable IOS Fix) + Guide

Follow the guide, and your good to go !
+1, this will get you working for sure! I think you're problem was that you renamed the MMM boot.dol to boot.elf and tried to launch it using smash stack. There is an actual boot.elf for MMM which can be launched using smash stack and the other disc based exploits (as well as bannerbomb, but BB can also launch dol's so its a moot point). If you use ModMii's HackMii Solutions Feature, it will place the REAL boot.elf for MMM on the root of your SD card (as well as other required files) allowing you to launch MMM, then install a non-fakesigned IOS58. Once u do that, u will be able to able to reinstall the HBC.

FYI, instead of doing this, u can just restore one of your older NAND dumps (assuming u have one) to gain access to the HBC again, then just update your softmods (using ModMii's Wizard feature or w/e u want) so that this problem doesn't repeat itself.

PPSainity

Blinded by Science
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
...and if for some reason you can't use ModMii cause your SD Card isn't being seen, try using MMM and use it to update all your IOS one by one, using the IOS menu.

But give ModMii a good go at this point. It's a well stocked utility knife that will bring your Wii up to snuff in one use.

-[]D

SoupNBread

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel like maybe I explained things wrong or I'm just not understaning. I've already grabbed myself a package from ModMii and can SmashStack into MMM. The problem I'm having is that MMM can't read my SD("Error Mounting Device" even though it's a standard 2GB SD card) nor can it read any USB drives(same error), so I can't access the WAD or APPS menu. As for using the IOS menu, it asks for options(which I'm not sure which I should be checking) and still can't grab the WAD from the SD/USB since MMM is unable to read either of them so it doesn't allow me to install.

Is there a way to download directly through the Wii that I'm missing in MMM?

Sorry for being such a bother about this

EDIT: Weird, for the first time it allowed me to grab from the Nintendo Servers. We'll see how this pans out
smile.gif

PPSainity

Blinded by Science
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
SoupNBread said:
I feel like maybe I explained things wrong or I'm just not understaning. I've already grabbed myself a package from ModMii and can SmashStack into MMM. The problem I'm having is that MMM can't read my SD("Error Mounting Device" even though it's a standard 2GB SD card) nor can it read any USB drives(same error), so I can't access the WAD or APPS menu. As for using the IOS menu, it asks for options(which I'm not sure which I should be checking) and still can't grab the WAD from the SD/USB since MMM is unable to read either of them so it doesn't allow me to install.

Is there a way to download directly through the Wii that I'm missing in MMM?

Sorry for being such a bother about this
Just as long as your Wii has internet access MMM doesn't need access to your SD card or USB drive as far as I am aware. Unless MMM needs the SD card as temp storage, which I don't believe it does, it should install the IOS fine.

You will need to use the IOS Manager menu option in MMM. You will want to download (not WAD install) all the IOS below 200 on the list that are not stubs (it clearly states what versions are stubs). Don't install any of the IOS in any other slot other than its own (Ex. IOS9 goes into IOS9, etc...). Only patch your SM IOS, IOS80, with all the patches, all other IOS can be left unpatched. That should clear up all the confusion with the options.

After doing this, fire up the HackMii installer, and install the HBC.

***Oh, I see, you also have trouble connecting to the Wii servers... Well if you can connect now, download the IOS quickly while you still can!!!***

-[]D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.