Hacking Homebrew: Can I use my USB for USB Loader GX and play isos with it at the same time?

Ichigo1000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible? I don't have a spare SD card lying around. Is it okay to use the USB to install USB Loader GX and play games using the same USB as well?

PhoenixPlayzz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Do you mean use the USB to hold the app and the game at the same time?
I believe so, however I don't think it's possible if you have the drive formatted in WBFS, being that you can't put folders onto an Windows-inaccessible drive. So I believe you have to use the WBFS file method...I've heard of this but I haven't tested it out yet.

Alternatively, you can use the standalone full USB loader channel+app, which installs a channel that boots the app directly from your wii, however this takes up more space in the internal NAND.

Last edited by PhoenixPlayzz,

Antics

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I rarely post, but I can confirm that USB Loader GX and your ISOs can reside on the same partition. I have been running all of my apps, emulators, WBFS (for Wii), extracted ISOs (for GCN), and my NAND emulation all from a single FAT32 partition at 32k for as long as I can remember without issue. Just make sure you are running the latest GX Loader, cIOSes, and set your paths properly in the master settings ini (xyz:\config\GXmaster.ini....I believe? Been awhile since I mucked with it) and you'll be golden.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you mean use the USB to hold the app and the game at the same time?
I believe so, however I don't think it's possible if you have the drive formatted in WBFS, being that you can't put folders onto an Windows-inaccessible drive. So I believe you have to use the WBFS folder method...I've heard of this but I haven't tested it out yet.

Alternatively, you can use the standalone full USB loader channel+app, which installs a channel that boots the app directly from your wii, however this takes up more space in the internal NAND.
The WBFS drive format is antiquated at this point and shouldn't be used due to potential corruption. FAT32 is generally recommended anymore (you can use WBFS files that can be split), but you can also use NTFS and EXT2/3/4. You can also use raw ISOs, but anything over 4GB on FAT32 would still have to be split into a couple of WBFS files. WBFS partition format =/= WBFS file format.

Also, USB Loader GX works fine from an USB drive. It can load backups from the same partition as well.

PhoenixPlayzz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I rarely post, but I can confirm that USB Loader GX and your ISOs can reside on the same partition. I have been running all of my apps, emulators, WBFS (for Wii), extracted ISOs (for GCN), and my NAND emulation all from a single FAT32 partition at 32k for as long as I can remember without issue. Just make sure you are running the latest GX Loader, cIOSes, and set your paths properly in the master settings ini (xyz:\config\GXmaster.ini....I believe? Been awhile since I mucked with it) and you'll be golden.
I believe my post was unclear, my reference to the WBFS file method (With .wbfs file type) was attempting to refer to the FAT32 Games Folder method.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: douche