Homebrew Bounty 2018 Month 2: Switch Applications

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Costello, Dec 1, 2018.

1. hippy dave

hippy dave BBMB

Apr 30, 2012
    United Kingdom
    paperbagthing and crossholo like this.
  2. DARKFiB3R

DARKFiB3R Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 5, 2009
    United Kingdom
    London
    • If the switch could ping a message to my phone when it's finished charging, that would be handy.
    • Bluetooth audio would be really great. Is that even a possibility in the future?

Last edited by DARKFiB3R, Dec 2, 2018
    dreambottle, crossholo and hippy dave like this.
  3. xellspooun

xellspooun Member

Newcomer
    Mar 9, 2014
    Greece
    A Steam Link app for the Switch please?

4. Ev1l0rd

Ev1l0rd (⌐◥▶◀◤) Developer - noirscape

Oct 26, 2015
    Netherlands
    Site 19
    Submitting SwitchGuide Updater (link to Download Center is in that thread or below).

It's a minimalistic Atmosphere/Hekate/Homebrew Launcher updater written in pyNX.

It's rather recent (initial release was literally end of October), and I've been giving it steady updates. At the moment it needs to use an intermediary (uses my VPS for this) since libssl is just broken for homebrew in general yet, but the intent is to 100% ditch it when possible.

Updates fusee-primary, secondary, hekate and all the fs.mitm stuff

Major feature was added with release 1.3 (made today!), which also lets users update nx-hbloader and nx-hbmenu (the former being the nsp people need to put in the atmosphere folder to redirect the album, the latter being the HBL itself.)

Second major feature was added in release 1.4 (made December 12th) to accomodate for an undocumented change to Atmosphere 0.8.2s file locations.

Other download links below (including the Download Center).

Download(switchbru) (GBATemp download center) | Source code | Serverside source code

Last edited by Ev1l0rd, Dec 12, 2018 at 10:32 PM
    iAqua and hippy dave like this.
  5. blawar

blawar GBAtemp Regular

Nov 21, 2016
    United States
    That is a fair criticism, however there was some confusion when they first announced the bounty, I submitted my first copy of DZ to their downloads section when they announced. Then they later clarified they are doing it in stages which is weird.

The fear I see here is, I already know of several developers who have just refused to release anything until the bounty starts to ensure they are eligible for entry without having to follow up with a major update. I think he eligibility should start from the time the contest was announced, not when this months bounty actually started or you will be encouraging devs not to release apps or updates and the community will lose out.

6. Crusatyr

Crusatyr GBAtemp Regular

Jul 31, 2016
    United States
    I think it says a lot about the devs who are slimy enough to wait until there's a chance they could be paid for their projects rather than submitting them when done. I see it both ways though, you know as well as I do that month to create/test/ect an app is hella crunch time, especially when you see people requesting stuff like Kodi or rewriting the bluetooth stack to support bluetooth headphones.

Girtana1 and kikongokiller like this.
  7. shchmue

shchmue GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 23, 2013
    United States
    Lockpick
    New key software, successor to kezplez, supports 6.2.0 keys and also dumps titlekeys!

8. Costello
    OP

Costello Headmaster

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    they could still release a first version of their app initially, and then submit an update with added features for the bounty.
    that would just work.

9. Technicmaster0

Technicmaster0 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 22, 2011
    Gambia, The
    But they would get more points if they held the complete release back until the bounty begins.

DollyWhipDoll likes this.
  10. Costello
    OP

Costello Headmaster

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    not if they provide a major update. Judges have brains too ;)

XorTroll likes this.
  11. blawar

blawar GBAtemp Regular

Nov 21, 2016
    United States
    Easier to not subject yourself to such an arbitrary determination and just not release. Programmers generally arent stupid :) There will probably be fallout if any developer fails this "major update" test.

12. pwsincd

pwsincd Garage Flower

GBAtemp Patron
    pwsincd is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 4, 2011
    Manchester UK
    just make something else other than the "major update" simples..... :P

13. DollyWhipDoll

DollyWhipDoll You're on ignore.

May 18, 2018
    United States
    This is not at you, in particular, but a general homebrew statement.

What I find "slimy" is the fact that many think these devs should work their azzes off and get nothing for it. Not even a Thank You. Constant gimme gimme gimme. Demanding, ungrateful, and entitled users behind a screen name. Never satisfied or appreciative, always wanting more. Meanwhile, these devs have houses, lives, jobs, wives, kids, multiple bills...but they are 'expected' to do thousands of lines of codes for FREE. Not just that, some want it RIGHT THIS INSTANT!

A few devs may have a Patreon {and/or PayPal for a 1 time donation}, but it has $0-$1 in it. All while some users brag about having terabytes of games and multiple Switches.

Cemu's got their following https://www.patreon.com/cemu. And, then there's that FP Switch scene...

The stigma that homebrew devs, simply, MUST slave for the masses for free needs to be ANNIHILATED

Good Luck to all the Devs entering these Bounties. I know some of you get excited to share things, but it may be wiser to keep some things to yourself until the time feels right to you. Keywords: To "YOU".

14. Ev1l0rd

Ev1l0rd (⌐◥▶◀◤) Developer - noirscape

Oct 26, 2015
    Netherlands
    Site 19
    I just find the entire major update rule kinda uh... stupid?

I get the idea is to prevent the same apps winning each year, but limiting any major updates to only this month just screams for people to wait to release their homebrew programs until December so they can enter it in the bounty.

Expand the major update rule to simply be the full year, that seems much fairer imho. It'll prevent people from entering the same program each year without any major alterations while also not screwing with developers.

Like, the "older apps only count with recent major updates" (and what even counts as recent? Since June? Since September? Since November? Hell, NX-Shell for example got the explicit notice that it's 1.0.0 release meant that only updates made to it in December would count) phrasing itself just feels muddy.

All this makes sure is that Homebrew releases and updates will start to heavily scale towards Christmas as developers will feel less inclined to release it if it means they can't participate to your bounty and excludes potential entrants because they released their Software back in July. It's called the "Homebrew Bounty 2018", not the "Homebrew Bounty December 2018".

Just my input on this admittedly arbitrary rule.

15. Crusatyr

Crusatyr GBAtemp Regular

Jul 31, 2016
    United States
    I think you misunderstood my intent. I can't change the attitude of the scene especially since the Switch is a "kiddie console" you get a lot of immature people who don't realize what coding entails. However, you should understand that for a lot of these devs that coding is a hobby, and hobbies are something you do for fun, not for profit.

16. jakibaki

jakibaki GBAtemp Regular

Mar 3, 2017
    Germany
  17. Technicmaster0

Oct 22, 2011
    Gambia, The
    The devs have no obligation to release stuff when they are ready. It looks more like a situation "release it now and get fame" vs "release it a few days later, get the same fame and cash". They might even use the time to do a few finetunes.

18. Crusatyr

Crusatyr GBAtemp Regular

Jul 31, 2016
    United States
    Devs are under no obligation to release anything at all, but the point of being a part of a scene is to advanced the scene. If you want cash, sell out to TX or some shit.

19. Technicmaster0

Oct 22, 2011
    Gambia, The
    But it really doesn't make a difference from a dev perspective if you release your stuff one month earlier or later. It doesn't even matter for the people in the scene or the scene as a whole.
    Apart from that there are many reasons not to be a "part of the switch scene". Seriously, it's full of crap.

/edit to make my point more clear:
    I can't think of a reason why a dev would release something to "advance the scene". It's simply no motivation for them to write homebrew.

Last edited by Technicmaster0, Dec 14, 2018 at 12:10 AM
  20. DoctorBagPhD

DoctorBagPhD Member

Newcomer
    Oct 16, 2008
    This is sick!