Home made Wii Zapper

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by Reserver X, Dec 14, 2007.

Dec 14, 2007

Home made Wii Zapper by Reserver X at 2:55 PM (5,251 Views / 0 Likes) 15 replies

1. Reserver X
    OP

Member Reserver X GBAtemp Fan

United States
    It's been quite a while since I last posted. I kinda stopped frequenting these forums over the past year. Any way I just got R.E. Umbrella chronicles late last night and didn't want to spend $30 on a Zapper. Played the game with a friend for a bit and then came home and decided to try and make a Zapper out of some extra cardboard I had laying around. Took me about an hour. It's nothing fancy, but w/e, I was board and who cares. Here is the final product.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. kedest

Member kedest GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    That's pretty cool.
    I'll try to build something like that too, there's now way I'm going to buy €30 for a piece of plastic

3. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    Cool. Does it work? I mean, is it really better to play using this than just holding the Wiimote/Nunchuck like in regular games?

4. Reserver X
    OP

United States
    It works pretty well, yea. I may make some modifications later on to make it more sturdy and comfortable though.

5. BoneMonkey

Banned BoneMonkey The cheese stash is a lie.

United States
    very nice reserver i remember you too i made ya that sig !

lol

6. JohnDrake

Banned JohnDrake Banned

United Kingdom
    Well it looks funky but I'm sure it works quite well. Possibly better than the official Nintendo brand product.

I applaud your ingenuity.

7. JPH

Banned JPH Banned

United States
    Looks pretty good - but I'd rather pay 20 dollars for the Zapper itself and the game [​IMG]

8. MrKuenning

Member MrKuenning GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Yeah, its 20 with a game, and a real trigger in the front.

Looks cool, but I think using the B button as a trigger by its self wont work very well.

9. Takeshi

Member Takeshi GBAtemp Addict

Germany
    This looks nice, but I was wondering if you're able to get the wiimote and nunchuck easily out of it. From the pictures it looks like you taped them in place.

I don't know why it shouldn't, the trigger doesn't feel that different.

10. Reserver X
    OP

United States
    The trigger works fine, I have the Wiimote place far enough forward so that your finger reaches the trigger just fine. I may go back and try to figure out how to extend the trigger downward later. Maybe use a trigger from a broken airsoft pistol i have.

Like takeshi said, it really only adds some atmosphere to the game. It does make aiming a little easyer, but it is a little annoying to have to swing the entire thing around.

As for getting the Wiimote and nunchuck out easy, Its not actually taped in. I used black duct tape and coated the adhesive side with another piece of tape anywhere that it would otherwise touch the controller. It fits in pretty snug, so I don't have to worry about sending them flying through a wall [​IMG]. In the second and 3rd picture, you can kinda see the hole that I made for the nunchuck's connector piece to go through. I eyeballed the whole thing, so the holes are a bit small. I'll probably go back later and open them up a bit more. Also, I'm probably going to come up with a better way to hold the wire. The place it is in right now is kinda small, so its kinda packed in there.

I remember that [​IMG] . I'm not a "bleach fan" anymore, I'm just too lazy to change my sig and avatar lol.

11. Knab

Member Knab GBAtemp Fan

United States
    dude nintendos gonna be soooo pissed thats like an exact copy of there zapper lol. j/k your looks better then theres

nice job by the way

12. Railgun

Member Railgun ( ' _ ' )

Germany
    this thing looks crazy.
    but what do you do, when u want to play any other games without this "zapper"? [​IMG]
    u have to remove much of tape^^

13. Louse76

Member Louse76 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    No offense, but your time must not be worth very much if it makes sense to make one of those instead of buy it.

14. pimpyT

Member pimpyT GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Your zapper seems to be a quick fix in saving some cash. Your will to make something like this is quite impressive. Still, the Wii Zapper on the other hand definitely has a WOW factor. If you have some friends who really aren't into gaming and you hand them the Wii Zapper to play some Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles, you could just imagine the look of excitement on their face as they grip the zapper, but I don't think you'd get the same reaction from them if you handed them what you made. (Please don't take offense.) On the other hand, if you have both, you can use your homemade zapper and let your friend use the Nintendo Zapper, and you can both share in the experience.

15. Reserver X
    OP

United States
    Most of my friends are similar to me in the amount of gaming they do. The ones who saw it so far were quite impressed. They also know that I am very DIY. I have loads of other DIY projects laying around. My most recent one was fixing up my mom's old computer and getting Linux running on it with a fairly large hard drive that I thought was broken. I'm starting to get more into electronics and what not, but mostly I just like to do paper craft and working with cardboard. For me it just works out that I would rather do things myself instead of wasting money, just something I enjoy.

16. King Zargo

Member King Zargo I'm a Star

Netherlands
    Looks pretty funny. I was trying creating one for myself but I used tape. To remove the Wiimote I had to destroy it.