Brazil
I think Mario Kart Wii was more balanced than mario kart 7 but:
I almost never never lost because I got hit by a blue shell in Mario Kart 7
I always lose, because I got hit by a blue shell in mario kart wii

boombox

Trophies
XP
Country
They did this blue-shell shit from Mario Kart Wii...how is this new to you?..unless you haven't played Mario Kart Wii..and in that case - WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?!
I think Mario Kart 7 is epic, and I don't really agree with you.
You just need patience and to get over the fact that each game has altered mechanics.

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This probably should've been a blog, but we don't have those right now. :P

Anyway, I agree with you, Mario Kart 7 is way too unbalanced. And the fact that you can't dodge blue shells at all (if I recall correctly, you could dodge them in Mario Kart 64 with extreme precision) completely breaks the game, in my opinion.

Believe it or not, Nintendo actually replied that statement. It was to punish those that completely mastered the game in order to give the beginners a chance. XD

You can dodge blue shells in MK7 btw.
With a mushroom. XD However, you need to do with with extreme precision and timing. I think this can only be done in 150cc (and ofc mirror)

I compared this game to one of the worst balanced MK game ever (MK wii) and I find it to be just right.

BUT there are a few things that makes this game harder to stay in first place.
1. Blue shells do not fly anymore, they pratically levitate. (YAY! Makes it more fun XD)
Meaning they can hit anyone from 7th place to 1st place. In narrow places, you're bound to get hit since it's a bit bigger than the average shell.

2. Red shells can "fly", XD
Sounds stupid but it's true. Whenever you glide or fly or whatever, red shells will still follow you even though there isn't any ground.
If you can't protect yo' ass, you're dead.

You gan get hit even in place where you could get invincibility frames.
You know when you get shot out of a cannon or every one makes a huge jump (or any event where you go from a place to another), you get invincibility frames in the earlier MK games right? Well, that shit doesn't apply in MK7. You will get hit and fall completely out of the track. Happened to me when I got shout out of a cannon in Airship fortress. Someone shot a red shell at me and I completely fell out of the track and out of the sky. LOL

gamefan5

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Believe it or not, Nintendo actually replied that statement. It was to punish those that completely mastered the game in order to give the beginners a chance. XD

You can dodge blue shells in MK7 btw.
With a mushroom. XD However, you need to do with with extreme precision and timing. I think this can only be done in 150cc (and ofc mirror)

I compared this game to one of the worst balanced MK game ever (MK wii) and I find it to be just right.

BUT there are a few things that makes this game harder to stay in first place.
1. Blue shells do not fly anymore, they pratically levitate. (YAY! Makes it more fun XD)
Meaning they can hit anyone from 7th place to 1st place. In narrow places, you're bound to get hit since it's a bit bigger than the average shell.

2. Red shells can "fly", XD
Sounds stupid but it's true. Whenever you glide or fly or whatever, red shells will still follow you even though there isn't any ground.
If you can't protect yo' ass, you're dead.

You know when you get shot out of a cannon or every one makes a huge jump (or any event where you go from a place to another), you get invincibility frames in the earlier MK games right? Well, that shit doesn't apply in MK7. You will get hit and fall completely out of the track. Happened to me when I got shout out of a cannon in Airship fortress. Someone shot a red shell at me and I completely fell out of the track and out of the sky. LOL

I also did it quite often when I had the mushroom. That said, they're aren't 100% unavoidable, it takes precise timing.

How? I've tried everything. Dodges, jumps, starmen, etc.
Whoa whoa whoa, starman doesn't protect you from blue shells? WHHHAAAAATTT???? Gimme a vid of it please! I must see it in action. XD I don't remember blue shells overtaking the star's power XD.

Reactions: Zantigo

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
This happened to me with lightning bolts and red shells several times as well. I've also had someone knock me out of the air during cannon flight with a star and another person with a Raccoon leaf. It's extremely annoying if you ask me, considering there's not really anything you can do about it. The lightning, at the very least; maybe the others are avoidable if you look at the items others have before being shot out of the barrel.

gamefan5

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This happened to me with lightning bolts and red shells several times as well. I've also had someone knock me out of the air during cannon flight with a star and another person with a Raccoon leaf. It's extremely annoying if you ask me, considering there's not really anything you can do about it. The lightning, at the very least; maybe the others are avoidable if you look at the items others have before being shot out of the barrel.
Well the thing is, they count being shot out of a cannon as gliding. Notice that not every one goes at the same speed. XD
So you may collide with someone else.

Truliche

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ecuador
Just to clarify, my statements in the original post are magnified by the frustration and emotional upset I was experiencing when I wrote that. However I still stand by my complaints, overall I think the game is still fun and maybe online play makes things much better but I still think the powerup system could use some balancing. I played MK Wii a few times and I would say if you liked that game, MK7 is MUCH better.

It's a good game, if you can handle the powerup system, the circuits are fun, the online suite is very complete and the gameplay is very nice. It's just that goddamned "screw the guy in 1st" powerup system that frustrates me so much, it's not about being difficult because it's still relatively easy to get gold in all championships, it's about ruining the fun and making you shut off your 3DS in frustration, you get the difference?

EDIT: And to the guy trying to act tough saying he can do 4 laps on Toad Circuit, I just tried it... it's so easy, the powerup system lets you catch up so quickly and it gimps the other racers so much. You just proved the powerup system works as intended (allows players to catch up easily) but that's not what this thread is about.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
the same thing happened in mario kart wii and as soon as i heard it was back in mario kart 7 i avoided the game at all costs, i can't stand the new mario kart games anyway, online oriented and i can't play VS with friends with their 3DS also i know i'm going to get flamed for this but i think the competition recently should have more stricter against using items they are cheat items are ruin all the fun imo.

and yes i do prefer to play more realistic racers such a ridge racer and gran turismo which is based on skill not based on cheating AI with rubber banding (need for speed most wanted on the other hand is the king of rubber banding)

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
the same thing happened in mario kart wii and as soon as i heard it was back in mario kart 7 i avoided the game at all costs, i can't stand the new mario kart games anyway, online oriented and i can't play VS with friends with their 3DS also i know i'm going to get flamed for this but i think the competition recently should have more stricter against using items they are cheat items are ruin all the fun imo.

and yes i do prefer to play more realistic racers such a ridge racer and gran turismo which is based on skill not based on cheating AI with rubber banding (need for speed most wanted on the other hand is the king of rubber banding)

The items ARE the fun, if you don't like the items, you don't like Mario Kart. It's just that simple.

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah i'm just mad at the person roster at this what's a mario kart game with out waluigi? screw honey bee. (at least shy guy is playable)

also i did not like the unlock system for the people in this you have to beat everything 150CC... lame man... but still it's all good i guess..

Jiehfeng

The One
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
Mario Kart 7 is bad because it's not a serious, balanced racer?

WELL HOLY GEE.

Seriously though every Mario Kart is like this. It's not meant to be balanced or competitive, it's meant to be fun. And it is.

Exactly. It isn't like some need for speed game. It's mario for god's sake.
And I'm having a lot of fun playing this game. Especially the course designs and artwork is beautiful. Mainly while gliding and underwater.
Internet battles, I'm shocked how it's so smooth

dulume

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Agree 100% that the blue shells absolutely destroys the game... I've managed to finished 1st everywhere in 150cc, so this is not bitterness talking, it's just a fact: without the blue shells I believe this would be the best Mario Kart version, graphics and controls are great, races are great, music, etc. Everything is cool but that one little misstep, which results in atomizing the game.

Reactions: Jiehfeng

Truliche

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ecuador
Exactly. It isn't like some need for speed game. It's mario for god's sake.
And I'm having a lot of fun playing this game. Especially the course designs and artwork is beautiful. Mainly while gliding and underwater.
Internet battles, I'm shocked how it's so smooth

You guys just don't get it, no one is expecting MK to be Gran Turismo. MK is supposed to be mindless fun, the blue shells make it FRUSTRATING, ruining the FUN, it's still an easy game (against the AI at least) but that's not the point.

How is that so hard to comprehend? I understand you (and other people with similar comments) don't feel that way but the least you guys could do is understand my (and others) point of view before mocking us.

This isn't directed solely at you by the way.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Meant to be a fun racer, blue shells ruin that fun. It's no fun getting blue shelled over and over just because you are better than the other players. If it only spawned occasionally it wouldn't be so bad, but it's far too common. It's pretty much if you are in first, you are going to get blue shelled. Not a case of if, but when. Only so many times you can get hit just before the finish, before it just sucks the fun out the game. They could at least make it so it only spawns on laps 1 & 2, so you have a chance to recover.

I was playing online earlier, I took two blue shells. So because I've managed to escape the pack, my reward is too get whacked twice by a weapon that requires a huge amount of luck to dodge (having mushroom at the right time).

Reactions: TripleSMoon

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: But I bet that would be more for a flashcart than a consumer repro board.