Truliche

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ecuador
Sorry this thread is pointless and annoying and will probably get deleted but oh my god I need to vent.

Mario Kart 7 is the worst Mario Kart I have ever played, the rubberband AI is WAAAAAY too stupid, I stay in 1st place the whole race and I always get blue shelled in the last lap nearly finishing the lap, there's way too much of a luck factor in this races, I find the only strategy that kinda works consistently is trailing in 8th place picking up coins until you have 10 and a star powerup and then race your way to first and use the star when that bloody blue shell comes along.

I get blue shelled every time, every single time. It just gets so annoying, the worst part is the mechanics in Mario Kart 7 are actually pretty good, the driving is tight, the graphics are nice and the circuits are pretty fun, however, the powerup system is way too unbalanced and it ruins the fun in the game, I can't play this game for long before the ridiculously stupid rubberband powerup system ruins it.

Reactions: dulume and yuyuyup

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
This probably should've been a blog, but we don't have those right now. :P

Anyway, I agree with you, Mario Kart 7 is way too unbalanced. And the fact that you can't dodge blue shells at all (if I recall correctly, you could dodge them in Mario Kart 64 with extreme precision) completely breaks the game, in my opinion.

DaggerV

Archmagi of the Emerald Moon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's why you stay in second untill the last stretch,

though I agree, it's annoying as _______.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
People said the rubberband AI in double dash was too tight, they say it's too loose in MK7. You just can't please everyone with a game like this.

If you want to play a BALANCED competitive game, then play games like Forza and Gran Turismo. If you want to have fun, that's what the Mario Kart brand is for. These kind of complaints come from the same camp that want to make Smash Bros a balanced game for competitive play.

Vampire Lied

Resident sociopath
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Totally agree with op. And there's just so many times u can play the same few tracks over and over, even online, and its just boring as hell. But hey, ppl love it. Doesn't hold my interest for long though.

Reactions: yuyuyup

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought the Wii game was worse myself though nothing terrible just "meh", that and this version just feel to me that Nintendo are going through the motions with this series. I hope the Wii U game changes things around of course they did that with Double Dash and people bitched about that game, personally the only problem I had with it was that the tracks were too shirt.

NightsOwl

Pays For Avatar Art (For some reason)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never really had a problem with Blue Shells except in MP.

I mean, yeah, I get hit by them, but by that point I can make up for it.
As for the Rubber Band, it's really not that bad. I can still manage to get 1st in all 4 in 150CC, It's not that hard.

Truliche

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ecuador
Mario Kart doesn't have to be balanced competitively, it just needs to be less frustrating, taking out the blue shell is all they need to do, the items you get when you're behind (8th-5th place) should be meant for the person who gets it to be able to catch up. Bullet Bill, Star, Mushrooms, Lighting, Cheep Cheep Ink thing, etc, they are all items that help the person catch up. The blue shell does almost nothing for the person who gets it but it frustrates the hell out of the guy in first place, so I don't see how that's supposed to make sense, even for a "fun" game like Mario Kart.

I like the idea of people in lower positions getting better power ups, it makes the game more fun for everyone, as people in lower positions get to toy around with fun power ups and they can always catch up, the problem isn't giving people in last place a chance, the problem is suddenly screwing the whole race for someone else just because the game decided it would make the game "fair".

That's when the game stops being the arcade-ish fun it's supposed to be and starts being frustrating.

Also, yes, it's not THAT hard to get gold in all the championships, but it's also not fun when you start getting screwed by rubberband.

MarioFanatic64

The guy who does things
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I play MK7 all the time and I agree with the power-up system.

For example, this happens a lot; After about 10 seconds after you pass a set of Item Boxes, two CPU players at the back end get a Lightning Bolt and Blooper, and they use it at the EXACT SAME TIME, if it were a rare event, I wouldn't care, but it's just so predictable.

As for Spiny Shells, I have a little method for cheating the system. As soon as you see a Spiny Shell appear in a racer's item storage, stop/slow down and let 2nd Place take the lead for a few seconds and the Spiny Shell will hit them, and with the time it takes for them to recover, you can actually gain more distance between yourself and the rest of the pack. Though I have a rule that if you can't see any racers nearby on the Bottom Screen, just keep driving and make as much distance as you can for the next few seconds, because you can probably still keep your lead.

The trick to MK is using bad situations as an advantage to decieve your fellows.

andy26129

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can we get a couple of words from our top 3 latest Mario Kart 7 tournament racers. (Akward silence)...nope they just came for the prizes. Well as GbaTemp's 4th place racer I say, suck on these green shells and bananas you stupid toad. Lol jk, this game is awsome just enjoy it.

Reactions: Wizerzak

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I like the game, it has an awesome online experience and it is fun. If your problem is getting hit with the Blue shell in single player you just have to look at the lower screen (enemies usually take a few seconds to shoot the blue shell). In online multiplayer you can use the blue shell to your advantage too, don't shoot right away, keep it as long as you can before getting another item. The other runners will try their best to keep in second place so they will slow themselves down thus it will be possible to catch up with them xD I agree that the blue shell really spoils the race though for being so fucking frequent.

2ndApex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People said the rubberband AI in double dash was too tight, they say it's too loose in MK7. You just can't please everyone with a game like this.

If you want to play a BALANCED competitive game, then play games like Forza and Gran Turismo. If you want to have fun, that's what the Mario Kart brand is for. These kind of complaints come from the same camp that want to make Smash Bros a balanced game for competitive play.

So what if people have different preferences? That doesn't justify going to one extreme or another, good game design is about finding a happy middle.

Funny that you mention competitive Smash Bros because 11 year old SSBM can be placed anywhere on the top 5 most technical fighting games, still regularly pulls hundreds of attendees in national tournaments (watched on stream by thousands), and is still the most accessible fighting game to date.
Fun and bad competitive design aren't interchangeable, Mario Kart has always been a healthy mix of luck and skill and when Nintendo inevitably makes MK U it'll be best not too lean too heavily towards either side.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
So what if people have different preferences? That doesn't justify going to one extreme or another, good game design is about finding a happy middle.

Funny that you mention competitive Smash Bros because 11 year old SSBM can be placed anywhere on the top 5 most technical fighting games, still regularly pulls hundreds of attendees in national tournaments (watched on stream by thousands), and is still the most accessible fighting game to date.
Fun and bad competitive design aren't interchangeable, Mario Kart has always been a healthy mix of luck and skill and when Nintendo inevitably makes MK U it'll be best not too lean too heavily towards either side.

Okay, first off: Smash Bros Melee is not a fighting game. It's a brawler. Second, just because it IS a balanced game for competitive play, does not mean it was meant to be. Sakurai has been quoted numerous times stating that Super Smash Bros is meant to be an accessible multiplayer game, and the focus has never been to make it a game based around competitions and tournaments.

But like you said, people have different preferences. A "happy middle" is just as subjective as saying MK7 has too loose of Rubber Band AI. Some might think it's just right.

KingBlank

King of Nothing
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
The rubberband poweups, ADD strategic depth.
Its easy to stay in first place, but the goal is only to be in first place at the end of the race.
But yes, i wholesomely agree the game needs to be less frustrating, but all the mario games are frustrating ><
Diddy Kong racing for nintendo 64 had powerups and was not frustrating, and the key difference is that mario has Lightning and Blue shell, remove them and implement something thats more fun!
FIXED!!!

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Honestly I find it worse when someone decides to launch a lightning bolt just after you hit a ramp. Go from first to sixth place instantly and there's even less you can do about it than with Blue Shells.

Reactions: VMM

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
But yes, i wholesomely agree the game needs to be less frustrating, but all the mario games are frustrating ><

Except for Super Mario Kart, you have to rely one your ability to win rather than items, they just help you once in a while. Even if you have a star or a mushroom using these items make it easier to fall or hit a wall which could make you lose positions. Bottom of line... you need to be good.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol