GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
War said:
Lol, you guys took my post out of context. I'm not saying "it even beat Chrono Trigger" because CT is an amazing game or anything like that, I'm just saying it beat CT which used to be the top game in the DS ratings.

My response had less to do with the standing of Chrono Trigger and more to do with your comment on Chinatown Wars. If I took that out of context, please explain.

JDandy

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
War said:
Lol, you guys took my post out of context. I'm not saying "it even beat Chrono Trigger" because CT is an amazing game or anything like that, I'm just saying it beat CT which used to be the top game in the DS ratings.

Regardless of your context, CT being the top game is the true tragedy here.

enarky

owls?
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
JDandy said:
Well, Chrono Trigger being a port of a snes game, it has no part being ANYWHERE on a Best Something for the DS list.Well, it's a game, it's one of the best ever and its code runs natively on the DS. So, why shouldn't it be in a best games on DS list?
irpacynot said:
QUOTE(JDandy @ Mar 25 2009, 03:53 AM) Regardless of your context, CT being the top game is the true tragedy here.
Then what other game do you believe is more deserving of that placement and why?
+1

JDandy

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
irpacynot said:
JDandy said:

Then what other game do you believe is more deserving of that placement and why?

What DS game do I believe deserves to be called #1 DS game?
That's largly a matter of preference, and ultimately amounts to nothing more than an opinion.
However, since you asked, I think either TWEWY or GTA:CW deserves #1.

Both have excellent soundtracks, an awesome visual style, and use the touchscreen to it's fullest. By this I mean that the touchscreen is used in a logical, functional, and fun manner, as opposed to being tacked on for menus or ill-thought out "mini-games".
Both are outstanding DS games, made for the DS.

Chrono Trigger, however, is a SNES game, ported to the DS. It is not even a very good snes game, unless you're one of those people for whom CT was their first (good) videogame/rpg experience. It is nothing more than a zero-effort* DS port, made to cash in on nostalgia. It deserves no acknowledgment for this.
This same line of thought extends to the FF and DQ remakes (note; remakes), since despite their graphical tune-up, they could have been released on, say, the PSP with not that much difference. They're "ok" games, depending on what you like, but they are not especially DS games.

Well, it's a game, it's one of the best ever and its code runs natively on the DS. So, why shouldn't it be in a best games on DS list?
It was one of the best games ever back in 1995. Let it go. I love pac-man. Pac-man is one of the kings of gaming. Would I call a DS port of arcade pac-man "one of the best ever"? NO.
"Its code runs natively on the DS" Gee whiz, I've yet to see a DS game whose code doesn't. Being a game on the DS is not the same as being a game for the DS.

*please do not start about the monster arena or the extra boss fight, adding those two things does not mean that this port was a gargantuan effort of the gaming industry.

abaddon41_80

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe it is just because I have never been a big fan of the GTA series but I wouldn't put Chinatown Wars in my top 5 DS games. Probably top 10, though. But, like I said, I am not a GTA fan and I do have a very strange taste in video games.

crook

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
If the gamers continue to hype up and buy poorly ported oldie games, the game industrie will continue to warm up games
they already wrote off with minimum costs for them.
chrono trigger may be an awesome game but it's the same game with laughable additions and don't use the ds capacities a fuckin bit.
I want a REAL remake or new game!

enarky

owls?
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
The point is, a large majority of people thinks CT is one of the best games ever (note: not the best game ever). One of best games ever gets ported to the DS, it makes it one of the best games on the DS. Port or not doesn't matter.

That Pac Man comparison limps so much, it needs a second leg. Pacman was great for its time, but it's not today. You could say it aged quite a bit. CT on the other hand is great even by todays standards. Critics largely acclaim that. Why can't you?

If you don't like remakes, well, that's too bad for you. But it doesn't make CT a bad game.

DaRealChrono

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
JDandy said:
irpacynot said:
JDandy said:

What DS game do I believe deserves to be called #1 DS game?
That's largly a matter of preference, and ultimately amounts to nothing more than an opinion.
However, since you asked, I think either TWEWY or GTA:CW deserves #1.

Both have excellent soundtracks, an awesome visual style, and use the touchscreen to it's fullest. By this I mean that the touchscreen is used in a logical, functional, and fun manner, as opposed to being tacked on for menus or ill-thought out "mini-games".
Both are outstanding DS games, made for the DS.

Chrono Trigger, however, is a SNES game, ported to the DS. It is not even a very good snes game, unless you're one of those people for whom CT was their first (good) videogame/rpg experience. It is nothing more than a zero-effort* DS port, made to cash in on nostalgia. It deserves no acknowledgment for this.
This same line of thought extends to the FF and DQ remakes (note; remakes), since despite their graphical tune-up, they could have been released on, say, the PSP with not that much difference. They're "ok" games, depending on what you like, but they are not especially DS games.

Well, it's a game, it's one of the best ever and its code runs natively on the DS. So, why shouldn't it be in a best games on DS list?
It was one of the best games ever back in 1995. Let it go. I love pac-man. Pac-man is one of the kings of gaming. Would I call a DS port of arcade pac-man "one of the best ever"? NO.
"Its code runs natively on the DS" Gee whiz, I've yet to see a DS game whose code doesn't. Being a game on the DS is not the same as being a game for the DS.

*please do not start about the monster arena or the extra boss fight, adding those two things does not mean that this port was a gargantuan effort of the gaming industry.

I find a lot of flaw with that statement, because Chrono Trigger has a great soundtrack and a great visual style, and while it may not take advantage of the touch-screen as much as TWEWY or GTA, it's uses it much the same way Pokemon games do...so I guess that means Pokemon games are bad now too? I guess since you can only tap Komas on Jump Ultimate Stars, it's a bad game as well since the gameplay doesn't tie in precisely with touch-screen? I guess New Super Mario Bros. sucks too since it doesn't really use the touch-screen either. Sure, they are games made originally for the DS, but that doesn't mean their art style or soundtrack are automatically better. So with that said, how is it that CT can't be one of the best games on the DS, when it seems your requirements for it being a 'outstanding' DS game is art style, a great soundtrack, and good use of the touch-screen, when some of the BEST games ever released originally for the DS don't even do half the job Chrono Trigger did 14 years ago?

But, I guess I wasted my time with this post, since you just flat out HATE Chrono Trigger, so you'll probably respond with the soundtrack and art style of Chrono Trigger sucks, am I right? Your entitled to your opinion, but at least put some effort into proving your point, at least to the point where you don't praise two games for having two of the same qualities that the game your denying has itself.

Also, I'd like to point out...being a game FOR the DS is being a game ON the DS, no matter which way you try to slice it. Chrono Trigger DS will only run on the DS, so it's on and for the DS.

Lluvia

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.lluvia.de
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I have to say that I totally agree with JDandy. This has nothing to do with Chrono Trigger being a bad game or anything like that. I'd also much rather see a game especially developed for the DS, which also makes good use of the DS' features, as the top game, than a simple port (not remake!) from another system. So a game like GTA or TWEWY much more deserves to be the "best" game for DS than Chrono Trigger.
Or put the other way around it doesn't cast a positive light on todays game developers that a port of a 14 year old game was the highest rated game for DS.

Private|Par

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Good news that GTA:CW is on the top 5. It pushes the boundaries for what can be done on the DS, whilst delivering superb and entertaining gameplay. The graphics are amazingly good for the DS, possibly the best on the system behind PH.
Now... To the Chrono Trigger fanboys....

I'd never played Chrono Trigger before the DS version came out. Perhaps my point of view would be skewed if I had, but I hadn't. As a newcomer to the series, CT had always been hyped to me as one of the best RPGs created.

Could someone please explain to me what's so great about CT? I know this isn't necessarily a thread for discussing that, but it seems to be intertwined with the main topic. The story, as I found it, was typical boy-meets-girl-some-weird-shit-goes-down, the same kind of crap I'm force-fed in every JRPG nowadays.

Multiple endings! You cry. Big whoop. GTA4 has multiple endings. Mass Effect has multiple endings. In fact, the majority of games have multiple endings these days. But back in the day! You say. It's not back in the day. It's 2009.

Time travel! I'll give you the fact that not many games have time travel, or speaking on the effects of time travel. But time travel is just this game's "gimmick" (a word that we throw around so much these days) to drive the story. It's like Pokemon's Gym system. It's a mechanic that enables them to escape from just drawing the same stereotypical fantasy artwork for the whole game, something which I applaud.

Great graphics, amazing music! Whilst the pixeling in CT is extremely well done, once again you fall into the trap of "Back in the Day." Back in the day, the graphics were phenomenal. These days, the graphics are good, some of the better on the DS, but they're not phenomenal. Amazing music? I didn't notice anything particularly fantastic about it. Once again, I believe it's your Nostalgia Troll talking.

Sorry if this upsets anyone. I'm not saying CT is not a good game. It was quite enjoyable for the 4 or so hours I put into it. It just couldn't hold my interest like TWEWY did, or Golden Sun did. Feel free to reply, I'm interested in people's opinions on the matter.

JDandy

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Lluvia said:
I have to say that I totally agree with JDandy. This has nothing to do with Chrono Trigger being a bad game or anything like that. I'd also much rather see a game especially developed for the DS, which also makes good use of the DS' features, as the top game, than a simple port (not remake!) from another system. So a game like GTA or TWEWY much more deserves to be the "best" game for DS than Chrono Trigger.
Or put the other way around it doesn't cast a positive light on todays game developers that a port of a 14 year old game was the highest rated game for DS.

See that underlined text? That's the point I was trying to make.

enarky said:
That Pac Man comparison limps so much, it needs a second leg. Pacman was great for its time, but it's not today. You could say it aged quite a bit. CT on the other hand is great even by todays standards. Critics largely acclaim that. Why can't you?

Allow me to show you a MAGIC TRICK. You call my comparison horrible. Now look what happens, when I take this quote of yours, and replace Pac Man with Chrono Trigger;

Chrono Trigger was great for its time, but it's not today. You could say it aged quite a bit. Pac-man on the other hand is great even by todays standards. Critics largely acclaim that. Why can't you?

I switched Chrono Trigger with Pacman, but the statement is still TRUE
blink.gif
HOW CAN THIS BE?! Don't you think it's ironic that while you disagree with my comparison, the argument you give against it only confirms what I said?

DaRealChrono said:
But, I guess I wasted my time with this post, since you just flat out HATE Chrono Trigger
See, I tried to write a civilised post in which I explain why a port of an overrated and outdated game doesn't deserve to be #1 for a new system.
I tried to do this in a manner which was as objective and non-offensive as possible. That you somehow managed to deduce from my neutral(ish) standpoint that I LOATHE Chrono Trigger with a passion (while it may be true) amazes me.

DaRealChrono
so I guess that means Pokemon games are bad now too? I guess since you can only tap Komas on Jump Ultimate Stars, it's a bad game as well since the gameplay doesn't tie in precisely with touch-screen? I guess New Super Mario Bros. sucks too since it doesn't really use the touch-screen either.
Well, I try to steer away from claiming that things suck, but. Pokemon has been the pinnacle of rehashing for several years; minor graphical upgrade, 100 new pokemon, SEND IT TO THE STORES. We still have, at it's heart, almost the same game as it was in 2nd gen. Still 4 moves, Still my pokemon seen from behind vs your pokemon seen from the front. Same backpack, same overworld handling. It's a SOLID game. It does things the same, because the last time it did them, it didn't do anything WRONG. But that doesn't mean it deserves to be #1 DS game. Sure it sells like hot cakes in winter. Sure, it's a mega-franchise. But it could have been brought out on any other system, and still be the same game. Same goes for New Super Mario Bros. I'll refrain from saying anything about JUS because I didn't like that game at all, unlike pokemon and mario. They're not BAD games, heavens no.

All I'm trying to say, is that to be top game for any system, you have to USE that system to it's fullest. GTA does. TWEWY does. Avalon Code does (though the combat in A.C. is too simplistic). The DS has been equipped with a touch screen, and two screens, and a GBA slot. USE them. Hell, Guitar Hero had a peripheral. Sure I wouldn't buy it, but it was an awesome use of the GBA slot. Wario Ware is another example; sure it might be too short, and it's a minigame collection, but it wouldn't have been possible on any other system. How about Hotel Dusk? That game used the touch screen nicely. Another Code did too.

It's one thing to like Chrono Trigger; it was an ok RPG. It was a stellar RPG in 1995. But don't you dare call it #1 for a new system with a library of thousands of new games. Don't you ******* dare.

ChaosBoi

Ushiromiya Battler
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think both GTA and CT are very overrated.

Chrono Trigger was a great game for its time, but it isn't as good as most RPGs today. The gameplay was okay, but nothing exciting. Battle system wasn't that great either (Yet a lot of people claim it to be fun for some reason). I mean, it's just like FF6's, only it's map-based instead of a sideview. The only thing that kept me playing the game was the story. Everything else is on an enjoyable level at the most.

Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars, I honestly don't see how this is as great as everyone says it is. Then again, I'm not really a fan of GTA. If you ask me, what makes the game fun is that it's a sandbox, but it gets rather boring quickly because a lot of the pedestrians in this one are cowards. When I punch them to get their attention, most of the time they run off. They don't fight back like how it was in SA! When they do fight back, it's usually a particular type of pedestrian.

When playing the main story, I did all of the missions up until after the first one with the third guy (I think it was the mission after rescuing the second guy you do missions for, when he gets involved with the guys he beat in the race earlier) before I finally stopped caring for the game. The drug-dealing feature of the game is pretty addictive after awhile I'll give you that, but there isn't really anything to buy with all of that dough other than houses and more drugs.

All in all, I think both CT and GTA are good games, but it seems like people are trying to make them seem better than they really are. IMO, they're both 8/10 at the most, and would probably only make the top 10 for DS.

MicShadow

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
As a fan to the GTA series, I can say i very much enjoy Chinatown Wars. If I had a list of my top 5 games, GTA would certainly be on there. Perhaps at number 3 or 4. It really is a great technological achievement, and stands for what we need more on the DS.

And chrono trigger is good, but it really is a entirely different type of game. It would also be on my top 5

Dwight

Gawb. Gawb Bluth.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't like when CT was the top game. It was a port of a great game, but still a port nonetheless. The new features added in no way made it the best version of the game, and in my opinion, it was just a cash-in by Square. I liked it when MKDS was number one, just because it was the best DS game for so long. As far as I'm concerned, GTA:CW is the first game in a long time that can truly be called the best game on DS. The game has everything that it needs to be great. Great replay value, amazing gameplay, huge game in general, etc. I'm not surprised that it made it to number one, and if anything, I applaud R* for their amazing efforts on this game.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
#1 I think perhaps is excessive, but it's a Top5 contender. I've been working it and the game almost seems a bit too large for a handheld as the city is just out of control huge. Not really that's an issue, but it'll take forever if you do much more than the plot so unless you're dedicated will you get your moneys worth if you buy games? Also some of the cars and other things control like complete trash, and I've been hung up on a few nonexistent wall bits so minor collision issues too. For what it is, damn amazing it's all that there is, but there are little issues, little gripes, and also some excessive and annoying use of touch screen (randomly hotwiring cars comes to mind.)

Private: I'm with you on CT and I did have it back in the day and didn't get it now. The game was always a very overrated title for the SNES. Looking back it was the fact the story was unique and it was nearly the peak of what Square did with the SNES. I for one got bored of it 2/3 into it and sold it as it just wasn't all that fun, and many of the multiple endings were as much in the way of the enjoyment as they would expand it depending on which and in particular when. It always bugged me and still does people suck up that hard to it as it's good even great, just not the best, and definitely not on the DS.

cubin'

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It's a brilliant game. Easily one of the most fun on the DS. 9/10 easy. It's fine if you don't like those types of games, but you have to admit the presentation, graphics, scale, writing and the gameplay are all top notch. It's like a fully featured console game on a DS. If only all DS games got the same effort put towards them.

While Chrono Trigger is good, it's a remake. You could call gta:cw a remake as well but it's a lot more than that.

Peggle is 4th? while it's an awesome game the pc version is much better IMO.

Remember kids, hating on popular franchises makes you edgy and cool! (not saying anyone here is doing this but it's so true
smile.gif
)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte