Hoax alert: 3dscard.co & other sites

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
Being one of the major flashcart & homebrew related websites on the web, it is somehow our responsibility to alert our readers of potential fakes and hoaxes. Recently we've stumbled upon a few especially with the release of the 3DS. DS flashcarts have been around for ages, and those carts have recently been updated to function on the Nintendo 3DS console.

However, at the time of writing this article, there is no such thing as a 3DS flashcart. No flashcart is capable of running or exploiting Nintendo 3DS content of any form. That is why we have to warn you about ill-intentioned sellers presenting regular NDS flashcarts as Nintendo 3DS flashcarts. The reality is that the cards they are selling are just regular DS carts that function on the 3DS. With such flashcarts you will only be able to run DS content (DS homebrew & games).

3dscardhoax.jpg

Among those resellers, one of them particularly stands out: http://www.3dscard.co/. Some of our members reportedly received emails from them, advertising the ultimate 1st generation Nintendo 3DS Card - 100% Compatible with the Nintendo 3DS!. This is obviously a hoax. The card is a simple $2 R4 card rebranded as "3DScard" to attract naive customers... and sold for no less than $24.95.

Be warned: what you'll get by purchasing this cart is a simple R4 DS functioning (if you're lucky) on the 3DS, but with no 3DS game or homebrew support whatsoever. You can find similar, original cards for less than $10.

ferret7463

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They prey on ignorance that's all. I find these cards funny and how they tend to weasel word some things. Most of them will say that they "work" on the 3DS but neglect to tell ya the type of content. It's the free market at it's best.
rolleyes.gif

Z

Zorua

RoMee said:
I got an email from them a few weeks ago
I told them to fuck off.

but how the hell did they get my email?

You must've registered on some random site and they must have sold their email database to a lot of other organizations.
It happens and it's pretty common.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Oh I would so love it if some1 ACTUALLY brought this & tried to get their money back when they find it doesn't play 3DS games - after all where on EARTH would you GET the 3DS game ROMS to try it out, from anyway ??

I'm betting that they are hoping people will buy this card - they don't send out the card 'til 'late', then the customers find out they can't get any 3DS ROMS & by this time - the '30-days' have expired

In fact their 'Live Support - Online' doesn't even work either, instead you get the opportunity of giving your Email address & posting a question...
I'm SOO tempted (using a disposable email address - of course) just to send them something like
I'm curious about this card...It seems to good to be true (Which in fact, I believe, it is)

I'm a regular visitor to one of the largest Flashcard forums in the world & despite your claims that this card 'is the first to fully support the all new Nintendo 3DS with 100% Compatibility' - this fact is simply not true.

The 3DS has NOT been 'Hacked'/'Cracked' or whatever - in fact even the Game files have not even been abled to be 'Dumped' sucessfully
- so even though the card MAY work on a 3DS & is 'backwards compatible' with the older DS systems - so are 99% of all the other Flashcards (even many of the 'R4 clones' that are avaliable - of which your is most probaly is one of these)

Also why do you not supply a link to the required firmware files on your site - is it because you are scared that we can download them & find out that they are nothing more than 'modified R4' files

Your webpage is false advertising & totally bogus, & that the only thing you are famous for is that your website has already been advertised on forums around the world as 'totally untrustworthy & unreliable'

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Sure this is not a real 3DS cart but granted, there is no mentioning about the cart being able to play 3DS games or content at this time. 100% 3DS compatibility could simply mean, that this cart works on 3DS and has 100% compatibiliy with DS games and DS homebrew.

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
well the reason why flashcarts became so famous for a console that many kids play is its simplicity. It is definitely required to say something because not too many sites mention the progress for hacking the 3ds at the moment. maybe a box or page on temp can direct them to the ongoing progress.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
WiiBricker said:
Sure this is not a real 3DS cart but granted, there is no mentioning about the cart being able to play 3DS games or content at this time. 100% 3DS compatibility could simply mean, that this cart works on 3DS and has 100% compatibiliy with DS games and DS homebrew.

3dscard.gif

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
Rydian said:
WiiBricker said:

3dscard.gif

That's still really misleading. There is no way to know if it will have the capability to play 3DS roms even when they are available, regardless of any updates they bring out.

/states the obvious

SatanicSaint

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
India
Costello said:
a simple R4 DS functioning (if you're lucky) on the 3DS, but with no 3DS game or homebrew support whatsoever. You can find similar, original cards for less than $10.

Wait,does this mean that the original R4 DS(or the 1:1 clone) works on the 3DS in the DS mode??
unsure.gif

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
SatanicSaint said:
Costello said:
a simple R4 DS functioning (if you're lucky) on the 3DS, but with no 3DS game or homebrew support whatsoever. You can find similar, original cards for less than $10.

Wait,does this mean that the original R4 DS(or the 1:1 clone) works on the 3DS in the DS mode??
unsure.gif

Yes.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: