His Dark Materials, TV series

Discussion in 'Books, Music, TV & Movies' started by Veho, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Veho
    OP

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    His Dark Materials novel series is getting a show on HBO.
    (Following HBOs naming conventions the show should have been called The Golden Compass but they probably don't want to remind people of the previous attempt at its adaptation which bombed despite so many things going for it.)

Anyway.

Anyone here hype?

H1B1Esquire likes this.
  2. H1B1Esquire

H1B1Esquire RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.

Nov 2, 2016
    United States
    Earth, bro-dude.
    Oh, shit...Xavier...what ave you wrought?

3. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Other than moving the books aside when sorting through boxes of the things, and watching about 5 minutes of the film one time before declaring it boring and never going to get better (more bad film than source) I know nothing of the franchise. That however looked intriguing, hopefully it did not spoil things for me.

4. Veho
    OP

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    New trailer, now with daemons and other special effects:

Looking good so far.

5. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Saw a bunch of episodes this evening. Never read the books, saw about 5 minutes of the film.

Not terribly convinced by the main actress and the central maguffin of the show is a deus ex machina device which does not help matters. Supporting cast is the usual 20 actors working in the UK. I would also wonder if they spunked all their money on CGI daemons (camera angles certainly being chosen reflecting that) as the sets themselves somewhat lack at times. Pacing was fine for me but if this is American funded as well then I can see it boring audiences there, though it is still somewhat rushed. Writing is not the best (maybe not pure exposition but a bit far from "show, don't tell" but does OK at setting up mysteries and getting things moving.

The setting itself is a fascinating one. Probably more so than the show itself/story told by it. In a good world it would be a story told to familiarise us with it but I doubt we are that lucky. Speaking of settings a) that picture above with the monkey on a weasel or whatever... in the setting it should be able to transform into whatever it likes but seems not to. Also people take very poor care of such things if hurting one hurts them.

That said I did watch a bunch of them so fairly compelling in spite of all that.

6. AmandaRose

AmandaRose Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Glasgow
    Watched a few episodes and have totally not been impressed at all. The acting is terrible and as fast said above they used all the budget on special effects instead of decent actors. Pretty much the usual half hearted attempt that you expect from the BBC.

Last edited by AmandaRose, Dec 3, 2019
  7. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    I thought the adult actors do pretty well, the weakest being either the head of the college but I don't know if that was more writing* as what little he was given did OK and I have seen more menacing/unhinged/manipulative performances than that woman that takes her in gave (indeed that fixer character she works with/for/is secretly managed by if we want one from the same show) but she manages reasonably well. The child ones were probably given a bit more than they can chew, which is a pity considering the show revolves around them.

*most such heads of institutes are not people I would take on lightly, and he seemed to be able to make the hard decisions when he had to (the first scene we properly see him in with the booze for instance) so can't really claim to be one of those bumbling academics unaware of the real world/stakes. On the matter of writing the lead girl seemingly becomes hyper competent in episode 4 despite no particular indicators of that prior or development to it.

8 episodes to the series, 3 more to go (22nd of December it ending). Will probably do the rest at some point but it will take something of a turnaround for me to want to watch series 2.

8. Costello

Costello Headmaster

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    I had high expectations for this show and, while I find it a thousand times better than the awful theatrical release, I'm still a bit underwhelmed.
    I too regret the choice for Lyra's part, that girl is a good actress but she just doesn't fit the part somehow.
    The cast is overall rather terrible. Even McAvoy - love that actor, very talented, but he isn't a great Lord Asriel.
    Having recently read the books over again, I would say the show is pretty much as good as the books so far - in that the books weren't all that great to begin with (read them when I was a teen originally and loved them, but when I read them again as an adult I almost couldn't bear to finish them)

Last edited by Costello, Dec 3, 2019
    AmandaRose likes this.
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted