Hirai unimpressed with 3DS

fgghjjkll

GBATemp MegaMan
OP
Trophies
XP
As expected, Sony's boss Kaz Hirai is nowhere near impressed with Nintendo's new handheld, the 3DS. It's too high maintenance for him, he says.

Talking with FT, Hirai expressed his opinion that bringing that particular technology to a handheld is ill-suited.Not to mention, there are a whole array of issues pertaining to the development of 3D handheld displays itself.

QUOTE said:
"We want to make sure we get it right as opposed to being there first and - with portables - ther's still a lot of tweaking that needs to happen from a research and development perspectie,"he said.

QUOTE"We've looked at a lot of the current technologies available and all of them have an issue of perception where you have to hold the console in exactly the right place to get the 3D effect and it's a bit of a challenge to maintain that 3D perspective."

Sounds like he's just hating on it, though. What do you think? Does he have a point regarding those little humps along the 3D handheld development?

Source
/me slaps Sony around a bit with a large trout
Just because Nintendo's E3 was hell better than yours...
dry.gif

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Did Sony develop any software for the 3DS?
No? Then they need to shut their mouths.

The 3d effect is just the draw, kind of like R.O.B. for the NES. Behind the gimmick you've got a powerful system with lots of new technology available, with a promising selection of launch titles.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
fgghjjkll said:
QUOTE said:
"We've looked at a lot of the current technologies available and all of them have an issue of perception where you have to hold the console in exactly the right place to get the 3D effect and it's a bit of a challenge to maintain that 3D perspective."

It's a hand held system, almost everyone is going to hold it in about the same position anyway, about 1 foot in front of your face. It's not like a TV where you're going to be spread around a room at different angles. I would say that a hand held is the perfect system to do 3D on.

"We want to make sure we get it right as opposed to being there first..."
PSPGo = fail, it appears that Sony can neither do it first nor right.

Snorlax

POSTMODERNISM
Trophies
Website
postmodjoel.com
XP
Country
RupeeClock said:
Did Sony develop any software for the 3DS?
No? Then they need to shut their mouths.

The 3d effect is just the draw, kind of like R.O.B. for the NES. Behind the gimmick you've got a powerful system with lots of new technology available, with a promising selection of launch titles.
Precisely. There's still some great specs which are ready to be toiled with.
smile.gif

nutella

Low Glycemic Index
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Let's put this in Google translate:

"We want to wait and see how Nintendo innovates first so that we can do the exact same thing, but not nearly as well executed."

"We've looked at the current technology, and our conclusion was that we must make excuses in order to not look stupid."

As you can see, he makes a good point"

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
spinal_cord said:
It's a hand held system, almost everyone is going to hold it in about the same position anyway, about 1 foot in front of your face.
And you aren't allowed to tilt it. So you can't use the tilt sensor.

Raika

uguu
Trophies
XP
Country
Duh, everyone knows that he's just being biased. And people won't just buy the 3DS for the 3D effect, the shitloads of AWESOME games for the 3DS already warrants a buy from most people, so STFU Sony, you're just jealous that your E3 was nothing compared to Nintendo's. Miyamoto is unimpressed with your penis-like Wiimote rippoff.
thumb_miya3.jpg

Theraima

I own this desert, bitches!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
Oh come on Sony, you havent got anything better to do? like developing something? No then.

He just doesnt like it cuz its not made by him
smile.gif

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's funny how Sony bashes all the competition and when it turns out to be amazingly popular and profitable, they rip it off, then pretend it's better than the competition. Just you wait, if 3DS becomes amazingly popular (which there's no reason it shouldn't), they'll just steal the tech for themselves and market it as "better".

I love the PS1 and PS2, but seriously, i give absolutely no praise to Sony the company. They're serious jackasses, the holy grail of facepalms. And if it makes me a fanboy to hate on a hypocritical, hating, devious company, then that's a title i'll proudly wear.

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
granville said:
I love the PS1 and PS2, but seriously, i give absolutely no praise to Sony the company. They're serious jackasses, the holy grail of facepalms. And if it makes me a fanboy to hate on a hypocritical, hating, devious company, then that's a title i'll proudly wear.

I wholeheartedly agree. Maddox has an opinion on this too. I have to say, a company that destroys one of their vendors (Lik-Sang!) for giving them more business when they are already reporting losses, has totally got their heads up their ass and infatuated with the smell.

D

Deleted User

fgghjjkll said:
As expected, Sony's boss Kaz Hirai is nowhere near impressed with Nintendo's new handheld, the 3DS. It's too high maintenance for him, he says.

Talking with FT, Hirai expressed his opinion that bringing that particular technology to a handheld is ill-suited.Not to mention, there are a whole array of issues pertaining to the development of 3D handheld displays itself.

QUOTE said:
"We want to make sure we get it right as opposed to being there first and - with portables - ther's still a lot of tweaking that needs to happen from a research and development perspectie,"he said.

QUOTE"We've looked at a lot of the current technologies available and all of them have an issue of perception where you have to hold the console in exactly the right place to get the 3D effect and it's a bit of a challenge to maintain that 3D perspective."

Sounds like he's just hating on it, though. What do you think? Does he have a point regarding those little humps along the 3D handheld development?

Source
/me slaps Sony around a bit with a large trout
Just because Nintendo's E3 was hell better than yours...
dry.gif
Kaz Hirai sucks. Just cos' his PSPgo was a flop, it doesn't mean that he can judge anyone else, especially Nintendo

Domination

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Senegal
I think he might be misquoted on this and he was more like:

"I'm so secretly impressed by this, but I have to keep my admiration up in wraps so I can develop a 3D PSP in secret for 3 years and show it off at E3 2013!"

D

Deleted User

yeah. i like where you're going with the "Hey i'm phony and I STEAL every idea Nintendo churns out!

XtremeCore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
"We've looked at a lot of the current technologies available and all of them have an issue of perception where you have to hold the console in exactly the right place to get the 3D effect and it's a bit of a challenge to maintain that 3D perspective."

2 years later @ E3 2012,

QUOTE said:
Everyone, may I introduce you to PSP 3D ... it's totally unlike our competitors, since now, you don't have to maintain the 3D perspective, and because of that everyone can see and enjoy what your're playing. We achieved this with the help of ...

*Audience anticipating about new technology*

PSP Shades! A special 3D glasses that only cost 90USD per pair and the best thing is, it's compatible with ALL your Sony Bravia 3DTVs. No tilting, no uncomfortable and tiring position. That's what we call real 3D experience

*Stunned*
*Slaps*

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
Sony - 2006: "With the DS, it's fair to say that Nintendo stepped out of the technical race and went for a feature differentiation with the touch screen. But I fear that it won't have a lasting impact beyond that of a gimmick - so the long-lasting appeal of the platform is at peril as a direct result of that."

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
spinal_cord said:
Sony - 2006: "With the DS, it's fair to say that Nintendo stepped out of the technical race and went for a feature differentiation with the touch screen. But I fear that it won't have a lasting impact beyond that of a gimmick - so the long-lasting appeal of the platform is at peril as a direct result of that."
Difference here is that the 3DS doesn't just have a limited technical specification and some gimmicky looking touch screen stuff but it has some serious hardware behind it. THe 3D effect can be turned off and the console looks amazing still! Better than the PSP if current screenshots are to be believed and the same quality can be kept in full games.
Sony are doing what can be expected but they're still talking out their arse.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i don't think nvidia wants to get in the x64 cpu market anyways
    you've seen how much intel is struggling getting into the gpu market
    and nvidia is already doing ARM
    i don't think they want to take more focus away from their gpus
    Yeah I think Nvidia s future lays in AI GPU acceleration stuff if they can get that going it's going to be super interesting in the long term
    AI assisted game creation might become a thing
    At least that's something I think would be pretty cool.
    Don some VR glasses and gloves and talk to the computer and paint entire worlds
    "OK Cortana I want that mountain a little taller and more snow on top, and I would like some random ancient pine forest around the bottom"
    "Now we need a spring fed river flowing down the north side and add some wild life appropriate for the biome"
    Many TBs of assets and the programming of something like that is going to be tough but I think it's something we might see in 20 years maybe sooner
    @Psionic Roshambo AI assisted game creation is kinda already here, there was recently that AI that can turn any 2D image into a fully modeled 3D object, it's not perfect, but it's a starting point, beats starting from zero
    +1
    before that there was one to generate a fully modeled scene from a 2D image
    +1
    but most recently, there was one that actually generates a working unity scene with terrain and textures already set up that you can import right into unity, that's a huge time saver right there
    +1
    and using LLMs to generate NPC dialogue and even dynamically generated quests is something i'm sure is already happening
    +1
    will just take some time for games made using those things to be completed and released
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @The Real Jdbye, it's bed bath and beyond you nitwit
    @K3Nv2 you said instructions with pictures, same difference
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @K3Nv2 you said instructions with pictures, same difference