hinge protectors for the ds lite ?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by beamquaker, Jan 7, 2010.

Jan 7, 2010
  1. beamquaker
    OP

Member beamquaker Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    hi my 4 year old son keeps breaking the hinges on our ds's when he gets excited . he has an autistic spectrum disorder and can be a bit harsh with things . he loves playing the ds but i dont want to keep on buying new ones every time he breaks the hinges . i asked nintendo if they would be willing to make a strong ds that would withstand the screen being bent back til it snapped . but i have had no reply . i was willing to pay what ever it would cost . so i am asking on this fine site has anyone came across any sort of hinge protector's or some other sort of protection . those case things seem to only protect the main part of the ds and not the hinges so i am at a loss .

2. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    No, I don't know of any "hinge protectors".

May I ask why a kid with ASD is playing a delicate system? And...wouldn't it be cheaper to just replace the case?

3. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    Why would anybody play videogames? For enjoyment purposes.

Sorry OP, I don't think there is much in the way of hinge protection :/ I think the DS Phats were a bit more rugged than the new lites and DSis. I suppose the only thing you can do that would save you a bit of money is to get an extended warranty for it.

4. Aeladya

Member Aeladya *mistressOFtheCLOW

United States

Unfortunately I've never heard of anything like that. The DS Phat was a bit more sturdy, if you can find one of those instead maybe on eBay I would suggest that next time. I know about that problem though. My cousin is Autistic (very low functioning) and is not very gentle with her things either and likes to keep her top screen pushed back on the furthest setting it would go and before she got her DS Lite and used my Phat it would drive me up the wall when she did that. Her brother has ADHD and anger issues and he breaks everything, he's extremely destructive (he destroys more of his things than his low functioning autistic sister does), but yeah, I suggest trying a DS Phat for your son.

5. CannonFoddr

Member CannonFoddr Regular GBATemp Lurker

United Kingdom
    Never heard of anything for hinges anyway - although a quick search on Google came up with articles such as this - don't know if it's still valid, but if you're buying new DSlites perhaps you can get them repaired for free

Another thing - If you know someone whose good @ woodwork or metal craft - couldn't they make up a stand or something that'll PREVENT the screen from being pushed back too far
    OK not a good drawing but might give an idea

6. beamquaker
    OP

United Kingdom
    thanks for your reply's . CannonFoddr drawing is a great idea . also a ds phat is also an option .

7. mcp2

Member mcp2 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    I would try this, it's a bit DIY but get some metal corners, cut them up a bit and super glue them on, if you glue them on to both sides it means you won't be able to close the DS, but at least it won't break.

[​IMG]

8. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    I think there is some.
    I remember when I bought spectrobes for the DS, I got a hard case for the DS Lite.
    Something like this:

[​IMG]

It did protect the hinges well because it was snapped in place with the case and the case couldn't go far backwards either

I did abit of Googleing and found this http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-DS-Lite-Arm...e/dp/B000MUYV4O
    Obviously there will be something much cheaper but that gives you the idea.

9. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    buy the kid a GBA and be done with it.

10. Prophet

Member Prophet Resident Black Militant

United States
    You might want to go to your local game stores. They often have a DS on display and it is secure in a metal case. I'm sure if you ask they'll tell you who they buy the fixture from. I've been googling for it but can't seem to find it.

Second to that, open the ds to the optimal viewing angle. Then take some duct tape, thin the width and wrap it length wise around the ds hinge to hinge. Be sure to avoid the shoulder buttons and power input when you wrap it around the back. Wrap it till it is fixed in place and no longer moves. Then cut a hole for the mic and power lights. Won't be the prettiest fix but should do.

Good luck.

11. beamquaker
    OP

United Kingdom
    prophet that is great i will check on monday . that is perfect .