hinge crack again

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by juggernaut911, Mar 14, 2008.

Mar 14, 2008

hinge crack again by juggernaut911 at 3:08 AM (792 Views / 0 Likes) 2 replies

1. juggernaut911
    OP

Member juggernaut911 GBAtemp Slut!

United States
    Stupid NOA says they won't replace my DS again be cause they already did for free!

[which repair]: Reason sent
    [price]

1st repair: Obliderated hinge (final stage of crack) + broken "R" button
    free

2nd repair: Broken "R" button still + unable to insert DS cartridges (Seems as though they lazily replaced my shell in first repair)
    free

received refurbished DS Lite because they suck at fixing. they renewed my warranty too!

still under warranty, this "new" DS Lite has received a crack and a broken "R" button

attempt 1: immediately mention that im under warranty and the guy sees my old crap and laughs at "Obliterated Hinge". he offers the 75$ deal with the 25$ discount because of warranty. I ask why must I pay for this BS? he states they couldnt possibly do 3 free repairs for me. the first repair shouldve costed you $50 bucks! he asks around and says i just got lucky on my previous repairs. he of course assumes i play frisbee with my DS or something due to the crack and broken button so he plays the physical damage card. I say i rarely play it and treat it like my baby. I dont really say that word-for-word but I think he got the point. though he ignores the point entirely... [​IMG]
    $50

should I press the CS harder about my new replacement ds with a new warranty (as in the other clear one) tomorrow? I would really like to not pay for a repair that is their design flaw, thanks in advance
    juggs

I'll keep this up to date

2. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    The right shoulder button stopped responding correctly on my NDS. I turned on my NDS one day and for no reason it now required being pressed very firmly. I actually had to press it so hard that it hurt my finger. I called Nintendo and the warranty time was up on the unit. They offered to fix it for $82.50 (including shipping to them) and said that I would have it back in 2 – 4 weeks. I was about to buy a tri-wing screwdriver and take the unit apart on my own. That price to fix and/or replace the button is outrageous. I can buy a new unit for $120 that comes with a full warranty. They said that any repairs would give me a warranty but only for the repaired part and only against workmanship errors.

Anyways long story short (too late right?), I made some posts on various forums and found out that this is a common problem. The first recommendation is to use a tooth brush or a q-tip and clean around the button. Make sure you get all of the dirt and then give it a try. If that doesn’t fix it try blowing some air in and around the button. You lucked out with it being the right shoulder button because of the power LED. There is a small hole between the power LED and the button itself, if you pull the button up and away from the NDS. I stuck the nozzle from a can of compressed air directly up to that hole and gave it a bunch of bursts of air. It took a few tries but now my right shoulder button is working perfectly. Apparently a tiny speck of dust can get on the micro sensor and cause problems.

Now all I can think about is how I almost spent the money to have Nintendo take apart my NDS and blow some air on the switch! Oh by the way you can pick up a tri-wing screwdriver for $.99 - $3.99 if you want to take the case apart yourself. You can also pick up spare cases on eBay and around the net. Some are official NDS cases and some are after market replacements. Be cautious because some of the after market cases have more problems then they are worth. I have also seen broken NDSes going on eBay for as little as $20. That might be a good alternative if you are only looking to get a new case!

There are a ton of good tutorials on taking apart your NDS and replacing the case. Give a few a read before you drop money on Nintendo. If you do indeed have a full warrenty on the referbished unit then you need to make them honor it. It would be illegal to give you a warrenty and not honor it. It is not your fault that they keep sending you faulty units. You can always ask to talk to the supervisor instead of the normal tech support. Don't get frustrated, dealing with big companies is always a pain. If all else fails just buy a new NDS and forget trying to fix a unit they already referbished and dumped on you.

Goodluck,
    -AW

3. juggernaut911
    OP

Member juggernaut911 GBAtemp Slut!

United States
    I'm gonna try my cards some more until I fork over money for a new case and blow my DS' button ( [​IMG] )

I might just get the new black/blue DS if I'm feelin lazy.