Hardware Hilariously Lame Crashes

Xamrin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Wii U crashes a lot. When it does crash it freezes up and makes a noise that sounds like a nuclear war in your ear drums. Here are some instances of it doing this.

1 - Watching Doctor Who season 6 finale.

Me: "What the hell is that?!"
Dad: "Clearly not The Silence..."

2 - Watching the same episode

Me: "How does it crash at the exact same point?"

3 - Selecting a stage in Brawl

Me: "That's it... I'm getting the regular Wii."

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The only time I've had the WiiU crash was when exiting out of Runner 2. And that was the game's fault so they released a patch for it. I have never heard of the WiiU crashing a lot.

Reactions: 431unknown

Pippin666

SSF43DE Master
Trophies
Website
www.tetesrasees.com
XP
Country
Canada
My Wii U is up to date and it crashes quite a lot too. Most of the time it hangs at loading textures in CoD : BOII (multiplayer). Once a week, when I press the HOME button, the menu doesn't even appear on the GamePad and freeze on a blurry white screen.

Pip'

Slartibartfast42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some people's crash a lot. Mine crashes all the time. Other ones never or almost never crash. No one knows what causes the crashes, so no one knows why it happens to some people more than other people.

Jan1tor

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've had it crash a couple of time using Nintendo TVii, I think something gets scrambled in the internet connection. Other than that never frozen during a game.

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP
Theres a thread around here somewhere that says its a internet connection issue and that setting up a Static IP for your WiiU does help , we initially had several issues with freezing , always it was net related , not so much if at all anymore , i didnt do anything to resolve it either.

PrimeX

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Mine never crashed as I remember. And I did all kinds of stuff with it, from games to miiverse browsing. It must be the internet connection stability.

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
quoting IGN forums @earlyman
1. The most recent update (the hour long one that so many people complained about) was supposed to take care of the freezing issue. Unfortunately, it didn't. Not for everyone, anyway (many are saying that their console doesn't freeze, which is great, but I think it largely has to do with what games you own).

2. Many online sites are saying that the problem lies within the Miiverse. Basically, all of the different languages are "confusing" the Wii U, so you have to go into your Miiverse settings and change the language setting to English only. That seems to be working well more many people.

3. Many are recommending that you disconnect from the Internet altogether until a new patch or update is released, which is apparently happening soon.

4. The person I spoke with at Nintendo customer service also said that some of individual game updates are causing issues as well (particularly Assassins Creed III). He basically explained that with everyone getting their Wii U's for Christmas, everyone was trying to download the updates at the same time, which caused some bad packets of data to be sent out. He recommended going into data management and deleting the updates, and the re-updating. While he didn't come right out and say it, he seemed to also suggest that a bad update could screw up your system even if you weren't playing the game. If, for example, I had a bad update for Assassins Creed III, that bad data could cause me to freeze up even if I'm playing Super Mario Bros.

5. The Nintendo customer service guy also suggested that it could be related to the SD card I used to complete my system transfer from our old Wii. He asked how big the SD card was, and when I told him 8g, he said that could be the problem. I don't remember the system transfer instructions specifying the size of the card! Also, he said that if the card was damaged at all, it would leave its "imprint" in the Wii U. I don't know about you guys, but I rarely use SD cards anymore. I just grabbed an old one I had laying around, so maybe it was a little screwy?

6. One poster even suggested that it's a router issue. He said that people need to make sure their routers have the most recent firmware update and have been reset recently. To be honest, I'm not sure that's the problem (at least in my house). I have the most recent firmware update, and thanks to my wife running too many appliances and blowing a fuse the other day, my router has recently been reset! Still, it could be causing the issue for some people.

icon11.gif
Source

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I had four "wiiu freezes" crashes in total, if I count correctly.

One was in Sonic & all stars racing. I had it happen more than once that my car just gets in some completely messy shit (which gets reset into the race about a second later), but only once that it completely froze up.

Three occasions of full freezes in AC3 so far. One was the first time I got on deck at the very, very beginning (I thought it was loading in a cutscène for nearly five minutes). Second time was at a totally random spot in Boston. Third time, I was trying to climb some rocks...didn't work, but I landed not to the rocks but IN the rocks...Character fell through the landscape...and it crashed.

Compared to other consoles, that's an awful lot*. Still, I blame the makers of those games rather than nintendo.

*okay, my wii crashed a lot as well...but that's not exactly a fair comparison, with all the cIOS'es, beta emulators and what have you that I played. The amount of crashes that weren't caused by that was zero.

PrimeX

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Hahaha I spoke too soon, yesterday my Wii U crashed when trying to exit NSMBU. Damnit didn't even got the chance to save :/

aur

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
no crashes or freezes for me at all so far (I don't use vWii, hacked or otherwise if it makes any difference)

Jan1tor

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
SAME BUT DIFFERENT My (Xbox) crashes every time I try to watch a FREE movie with their xbox media player! Have to turn power off then on again. Never tried to pay for one. (Crackle works perfectly though).

tronic307

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mine has never crashed.
Neither has mine. Three crashes, and I'll send it to Nintendo. I think I could manage to live without a broken game console for a week.
My launch day Wii is on its fourth serial number, which is funny because my Gamecubes are still in mint condition. I sure hope the Wii U fares better.

Slartibartfast42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Neither has mine. Three crashes, and I'll send it to Nintendo. I think I could manage to live without a broken game console for a week.
My launch day Wii is on its fourth serial number, which is funny because my Gamecubes are still in mint condition. I sure hope the Wii U fares better.

The crashes are due to software bugs. Poor network connections are causing something to freeze which shouldn't freeze. Exchanging it with Nintendo won't fix it at all. They will send it back to you saying that it wasn't really broken, or even if they give you a new one, it will have the same buggy software. Getting a new console takes 2 weeks, and random freezes aren't exactly broken. Some of us are trying to use older wireless G routers and the Wii U through several walls and stuff. Network connection is pretty bad. I actually had to put in a second router, right above the Wii U, and it's still bad.

tronic307

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Four serial numbers on the same 2006 warranty, which was extended to like 2011! I should know how long it takes to get a Nintendo console back! NEVER 2 weeks; it didn't take that long when my specific issue needed to be dealt with in Washington, not the regional service center, and I lived in New York at the time. In my experience, most of the turnaround time is due to ground shipping; they will usually finish the repair the first or second day after they receive it.
Bad hardware is BAD, unless you mean to cite specific evidence that these crashes are reproducible on all Wii U consoles. How many system and game updates must we endure before we are forced to concede that the problem is hardware related? Anecdotal evidence of crashes on a replaced console isn't enough proof.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)