Hacking HijackThis for Wii

rafb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
as the battle between Wii community and Nintedo evolves and gets more complex shouldn't every tutorial have the following:

somesort of scan for Wii, a way to identify exactly what he/she is using, already has (ios version, cIOSCORP, trasha and whatever else) similar to HijackThis for PC
so before people even begin asking questions they can tell you excatly what they have

go through tutorial

at the end of every tutorial should be a summary of what your system should look like after the tutorial (again quick scan to verify everything is in place)

this would eliminate so much of your work and stupid questions from us!!!

would something like this be possible, istead of, well try installing this or that, how about trying the same steps but with a thumb up your ass, no didn't work, well how about shoving a whole fist up there, still nothing, you get the point...

is there something similar to HijackThis to see all the processes running on Wii or all of the hacks installed so far in one simple step???

Reactions? Thoughts? Ideas? Am I an idiot for proposings this? Good reasons why this wouldn't work or already exists?

bazamuffin

RESIDENT HATER OF POLITICAL POSTING WANKSTAINS
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
I think its a sound idea, with a practical purpose. Whether its possible or not is a different question. Im no coder, but Im sure that somebody will be able to confirm that it is/isn't possible

rafb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks bazamuffin,

please take a look and see if its possible, i do believe it would make your lives a bit easier.

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Certainly would help. It'll definitely reduce the number of questions regarding what's installed on a wii. Saw a post elsewhere recently where a guy insisted he had CORP, but actually did not...

Problem is it won't be of much use for bricks unless you can run it. Preloader/Bootmii would be needed. It won't help the moron who uninstalls a system menu without bootmii.

Also, validating channel banners and mail content (mail bricks anyone?) if possible might be nice.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
bits of it are possible. for example, an app like SignCheck or IOSCheck can check what IOS you have and what exploits are present in each (Trucha, ES_DiVerify/ES_Identify, NAND permissions etc.). This would check if you have up to date IOS, and if they're patched and stuff. More checks could be added for other patches if necessary I guess. And IOS is the main important thing really.

However, I feel tutorials are very bad. When it comes to Wii "modding", no two individuals are going to have EXACTLY the same needs. Well, maybe a couple of people will, but not everyone will. It is much better for people to learn about what is available, learn what different tools and apps there are, what they do and how to use them, and then "mod" their wii as THEY see fit, not as some randomer sees fit. But thats just my opinion.

xzxero

♥bong milk does good for the brain♥
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i think that modded dop-ios mod just needs signcheck/ioscheck implemented then you have the app this thread is about

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
sorry for off-topic post but; mail brick? I have never heard of this, could someone please explain/give me a link to somewhere i can read about this?

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
mail brick is a rare brick which you get if you have a corrupt message on the message board
you can fix it with the Maintenance Mode of the wii (which disables the message board)

an extract from my guide:
Mail Brick
cause: corrupt wii message
These bricks are VERY rare, as the only way to get it is by receiving a corrupt message on your message board. Like that, it would seem like it bricked on itself.

Required

* System menu installed (with its IOS)

Guide

* The only way to know if its a mail brick is to access Maintenance mode (see below). As this disables the message board, a mail bricked wii will boot now.
* The first thing you want to do is to uninstall preloader if you have it. You can do this by downloading your system menu wad with NUS Downloader and installing it.
* If you got rid of preloader, boot the wii into maintenance mode, go to the wii settings and format the wii. [/p]

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
That won't be easy for you to do
You actually have to do more effort to get one rather than to fix it
tongue.gif

I don't know how you can create corrupt messages. You'd have to be quite lucky to find that out.
If you can create a corrupt message, you can mail it to your wii with w[wii serial here]@wii.com (ex [email protected])

The fix is relatively easy though, so it might not be worth it

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have (or at least it appears that way), helped a guy on here fix what appeared to be one the other day. The symptoms are identical to those of a banner brick. It hangs when you press A at health screen. Because of that, unless you check Maintenance Mode first, you end up deleting all the channels with ATD in an attempt to fix it...

I'll see if I can dig up a link.

EDIT BELOW:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=193598&st=15

His came after a bootmii restore. I first thought corrupt IOS from restore. When reinstalling them didn't help, I thought banner brick and had him toss his channels with ATD. When that didn't work, I remembered about the mail bricks. Sure enough Maintenance Mode+Format unbricked it. That was only the 2nd mail brick i've seen.

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Although I've never had it myself, I've seen some cases before
Just never realized it were mail bricks

There seem to variations too: in some cases it only freezes if you open the message, other times it bricks

9th_Sage

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
SifJar said:
bits of it are possible. for example, an app like SignCheck or IOSCheck can check what IOS you have and what exploits are present in each (Trucha, ES_DiVerify/ES_Identify, NAND permissions etc.). This would check if you have up to date IOS, and if they're patched and stuff. More checks could be added for other patches if necessary I guess. And IOS is the main important thing really.

However, I feel tutorials are very bad. When it comes to Wii "modding", no two individuals are going to have EXACTLY the same needs. Well, maybe a couple of people will, but not everyone will. It is much better for people to learn about what is available, learn what different tools and apps there are, what they do and how to use them, and then "mod" their wii as THEY see fit, not as some randomer sees fit. But thats just my opinion.
To add to this, there is a difference between knowing what's on the system and actually KNOWING what it is that's on the system. It seems to me a lot of bricks happen because people mess with something on their system they don't really understand...for example, the people who brick their Wiis from deleting a bunch of IOS versions they shouldn't have deleted.

hatredg0d

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mail brick, wow. thats weird.
and a mail exploit would be sweet. just send your wii an email lol. too bad Nintendo probably woudnt even need to update to stop it. just filter whatever it was out of the messages.
but on topic. the programs currently out to check ios's (signcheck and that other one) still have some pretty bad bugs. dont detect all of the ios's, and dont give correct results about the ios's. those applications would need fixing before implication into a program like this.
for example, using latest version of sign check, it says my ios 70 does not have the sign bug, and it does. and ios 15 isnt listed along with a few others.. but thats better then the last version. where it said all my ios's had the bug.

rafb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SifJar said:

I fully agree with you but for someone with over 1,000 posts you are missing very obvious point. I would love to learn everything there is about my system, and it probably wouldn't take that long and then simply keep up with the news and updates/upgrades regularly. In theory it's sounds very simple, however in reality i spent 60 hours a week learning and talking about SSM, ERP, OEM, M2M, RL, HCM, SCM, RPS, etc..., you get the point, my actual work. Then you add time I spent with my family. So realistically i come here every 3 to 5 months and by then i feel like i have to relearn everything again (because half of the shit i already forgot and other half have been upgraded), and thats just not feasible.

I would assume that most of people that come here either don't have time to REALLY learn their systems to know what they are doing or are too stupid to learn anything anyway. But you are the once who spent countless hours trying to explain things that seem to you very basic over and over.

So creation of diagnostic tool would help everyone, it would help us - the morans and you - the experts...

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
DeadlyFoez said:
Does anyone know where email messages are stored in the filesystem...basically so someone doesn't have to lose their saved games.
Here's some info on the mail system. http://wiibrew.org/wiki//shared2/wc24/mbox

It mentions the various files the mail is stored in and some basics on the format of them. These two mentioned on the page seem relevant:

* wc24recv.ctl
* wc24recv.mbx

There are 2 others similar to them for sending, but not sure if they're involved in receiving.

rafb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
guys, stay focused, if you want to talk about mail brick do it somewhere else.
ofcourse having a tool that can diagnose brick wii is ideal, but you tell me if its possible.

so far i understand that there are two little aps that can check your system:

sighChech - (http://wiibrew.org/wiki/SignCheck) - checks Wii's IOS and fakesigning (aka trucha bug)
IOSCheck - Just a small utility that checks any installed IOS versions that can actually be launched for known vulnerabilities (currently the fakesigning bug and ES_Identify).

how usefull, but most imprtantly accurate are they?

what else is out there? there has got to be a section on this site or anywhere that helps you find everyting about your system, right???

rafb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
another very obvios problem is that i haven't seen anywhere what the IDEAL system should look like, now understand that there may never be an ABSOLUTE system, people may want different things and should alter their systems to fit their needs.

But that raises a question, then whats the point of TUTORIALS, aren't they designed to make sure that we all on the same page and have the neccassary hacks/upgrades to properly operate your system. Therefore every tutorial should include a snap shot of what system should look like after all the steps of the tutorial are completed.

am i making much sense here?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/K-Gqyv0gkHc?si=nGlIcg7Lr7OPfc4a