High pitch noise during everything

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by bostondrummer1, Jul 9, 2009.

Jul 9, 2009
  1. bostondrummer1
    OP

Newcomer bostondrummer1 Member

United States
    Just a few days ago I decided to try messing around with the Wii.

So, I followed the (very helpful) Ultimate system menu 4.0 guide using the offline method.

However, whenever I boot up the Wii and play a game, I get a weird high pitched ring. Throughout everything.

Being a bit of an audiophile, this makes Rock Band 2 less than enjoyable.

I tried reinstalling preloader (0.29), no dice. Any other suggestions?

2. FenrirWolf

Member FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Umm, check the connections on your audio cable? If this is happening all the time then it's probably not caused by any kind of a sofware problem.

3. bostondrummer1
    OP

United States
    Boy, I wish it were that easy. I saw this thread here and I still think it's due to preloader or possibly something else.

4. supagusti

Member supagusti GBAtemp Regular

Austria
    check this site out - http://www.rane.com/note110.html
    I think what you got is called a "ground loop"

Edit:
    Does the tone start immediately after turning on the wii or after preloader is started?
    Do you have bootmii installed and a valid backup of your NAND - to be sure you can revert to an earlier state..

5. bostondrummer1
    OP

United States
    Okay, well a little update. I installed preloader v0.28 and still had the problem, then reinstalled preloader v0.29 it somewhat fixed it. Now it only occurs in the Wii Menu, which frankly I can deal with.

I'm going to test some other games to see if it occurs in them too.

6. PrinceOD

Newcomer PrinceOD Newbie

Canada
    I had the same thing happen (and it still comes back once in awhile), mine will go away if I go in to the audio settings and change it from surround to one of the other settings and then switch it back. Occasionally I'll need to restart. It happened after I went through all of the steps to downgrade from 4.0 and then update using waninkoko's updater, but it's almost impossible to find any info on why it's happening.

Annoying as hell before I managed to get it back to normal, though!

7. bostondrummer1
    OP

United States
    Well, it's back (during everything again) and that fix didn't work for me. I really don't have a clue what "fixed" it.

Well, I do, but it's not worth installing/uninstalling preloader just to get it right for a few hours. Any other suggestions?

8. 9th_Sage

Member 9th_Sage GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Boy, if this really is a software problem, what the heck did you folks do to your poor Wii? [​IMG] My first hunch would be the cables as well (especially because it's such a sporadic problem), but if you've checked everything well, tried new cabling, then it lends credence to what you're saying. Are there any other inputs on the TV itself that you could try?