Hardware Hideo Kojima's quote - 3DS vs. PS3

pachura

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hideo Kojima said:
The high level models are about the same quality as the stuff we made on the PlayStation 3, although it's tough to see this. If we'd had a bit more time, we could have made something better.

I know this has probably been beaten to death, but: what was he thinking ? Clearly, 3DS is noway near PS3 - no programmable shaders, no cheap antialiasing, far lower resolution, fillrate, triangles, everything. And knowing Nintendo's approach to the hardware, they will never ever put some monster overpowered CPU in their console (unlike Sony did with PSP and PS3).

Therefore, why such comment ? Was he referring to the perceived texture quality ? And what are "high level models" (is he referring to Solid Snake ?)

Are these screenshots comparable with PS3 ?

e3-2010-mario-kart-3ds-screens-20100615115225641_640w.jpg

sims3_e3_guitar_5_1276650148.jpg

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has no one figured out that Kojima is nothing but a gigantic troll yet?

Remember his "huge announcement" he made? He's like "It's not ZoE3!" but we expected something of equal hype. Nope, it was the fucking voice cast of Lord of Shadows and how he maybe possibly kinda wants to make a Peace Walker sequel.

Kojima can suck my balls for all I care, keep making Metal Gear Solid and keep your trap closed otherwise.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Well, he did say "high-level models" which doesn't mean "everything". Beside, not every developer is maxing it out straight at launch. Some like to have room to work with while they develop, in case they need it.

And who is to say that current renders of 3DS games are final? Isn't getting the games running the way they should far more important than getting them to graphically look pretty?

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Note the "though it's tough to see it" bit. He never said "The 3DS is more powerful than the PS3." He was talking about the high level models. And I think he's right. Have you seen the footage from The Naked Sample? It looks sick!

Additionally, you seem to have dilerbitely chosen two of the shittiest in development screenshots for the 3DS. Do you really think those games are pushing the limits of the hardware?

Nepeta

:33
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:

Remember his "huge announcement" he made? He's like "It's not ZoE3!" but we expected something of equal hype. Nope, it was the fucking voice cast of Lord of Shadows and how he maybe possibly kinda wants to make a Peace Walker sequel.

Kojima can suck my balls for all I care, keep making Metal Gear Solid and keep your trap closed otherwise.

Says an xbox fanboy.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Brian10122 said:
Guild McCommunist said:

Says an xbox fanboy.

Says someone with clearly no clue who I am.

Nepeta

Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
pachura said:
Hideo Kojima said:
The high level models are about the same quality as the stuff we made on the PlayStation 3, although it's tough to see this. If we'd had a bit more time, we could have made something better.

I know this has probably been beaten to death, but: what was he thinking ? Clearly, 3DS is noway near PS3 - no programmable shaders, no cheap antialiasing, far lower resolution, fillrate, triangles, everything. And knowing Nintendo's approach to the hardware, they will never ever put some monster overpowered CPU in their console (unlike Sony did with PSP and PS3).

Therefore, why such comment ? Was he referring to the perceived texture quality ? And what are "high level models" (is he referring to Solid Snake ?)

Also, do you even know what a model is? ffs, you fail. A model is basically a 3D sprite, even though it is much more than that that's probably all you'll understand.

Posts merged

Guild McCommunist said:
Brian10122 said:
QUOTE(Guild McCommunist @ Aug 25 2010, 11:41 AM)

Says an xbox fanboy.

Says someone with clearly no clue who I am.

Maybe I don't, but you seem casual at a glance.

[M]artin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think a lot of people are forgetting one crucial element of the 3DS... you know... THE 3D PART?

I think Kojima is trying to say that visually, graphics can appear very close to PS3 graphics to the human eye with the 3D functionality.

As long as your eye (in conjunction with your brain) believes that the graphics are high-end with the aid of the 3D feature... well... it is.

Someone who hasn't experienced the 3D factor can't really speculate or argue with someone who has already had their hands on the techonolgy, experienced the 3D feature first hand, and has been working with the technology for a while.

These 2D screenshots mean almost nothing when considering the 3DS as a whole (and one of its biggest marketing features, the 3D).

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Guild McCommunist said:

Get over yourself, Guild.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:

Why so ;~; ?

pachura

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Midna said:
Additionally, you seem to have dilerbitely chosen two of the shittiest in development screenshots for the 3DS. Do you really think those games are pushing the limits of the hardware?

Juanmatron said:
And you think Mario Kart 3DS and that shit of EA named Sims use all the power of 3DS? Can´t you use images of Metal Gear 3D or Resident Evil?

MGS3D was not even a real game in production at that time - just a fixed cutscene with user-controlled camera. Always playing the same 3D animation, nothing dynamic. The same for Resident Evil.

QUOTE(Brian10122 @ Aug 25 2010, 09:15 PM)
Also, do you even know what a model is? ffs, you fail. A model is basically a 3D sprite, even though it is much more than that that's probably all you'll understand.

Actually, you fail. My question was on the adjective "high level" - what's a "high level model". Comparing Solid Snake's model on 3DS and PS3 screenshots, you can clearly see that on 3DS there are far less triangles. So what did he mean ? Maybe "the model before the tesselation takes place" ? Maybe he was referring to the surface of the model, being shaded textures ? No idea. Maybe he was creating hype.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
[M said:
artin]
I think a lot of people are forgetting one crucial element of the 3DS... you know... THE 3D PART?

I think Kojima is trying to say that visually, graphics can appear very close to PS3 graphics to the human eye with the 3D functionality.

As long as your eye believes that the graphics are high-end with the aid of the 3D feature... well... it is.

Someone who hasn't experienced the 3D factor can't really speculate or argue with someone who has already had their hands on the techonolgy, experienced the 3D feature first hand, and has been working with the technology for a while.

These 2D screenshots mean almost nothing when considering the 3DS as a whole (and one of its biggest marketing features, the 3D).
^^

A picture may be worth a thousand words, but a video can be worth a thousand pictures.
smile.gif

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All I'm thinking is that he either made a mistake speaking and didn't catch it, or maybe the 3DS might actually be a bit more powerful than I thought.

If it's more powerful, I wonder how strong it will actually be.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
pachura said:
Actually, you fail. My question was on the adjective "high level" - what's a "high level model". Comparing Solid Snake's model on 3DS and PS3 screenshots, you can clearly see that on 3DS there are far less triangles. So what did he mean ? Maybe "the model before the tesselation takes place" ? Maybe he was referring to the surface of the model, being shaded textures ? No idea. Maybe he was creating hype.

I think you mean "mesh decimation"... And sure it will be far less triangles (polygons) but considered the resolution, maybe the ps3 and the 3ds has the same level of detail in proportion to the resolution...

Nepeta

Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
pachura said:
Midna said:

Juanmatron said:
And you think Mario Kart 3DS and that shit of EA named Sims use all the power of 3DS? Can´t you use images of Metal Gear 3D or Resident Evil?

MGS3D was not even a real game in production at that time - just a fixed cutscene with user-controlled camera. Always playing the same 3D animation, nothing dynamic. The same for Resident Evil.

QUOTE(Brian10122 @ Aug 25 2010, 09:15 PM)

Oh man, your grammar is so bad it simply ANNOYS me. And I'm gonna have to say your first language must not be english if you don't know what he means by high level.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
pachura said:
Still, it was rendered in real time by the engine. That does actually mean something. The Resident Evil one wasn't too impressive, but The Naked Sample looked to be an actual level with a playthrough of it recorded. The videos of it show users panning the camera all over the place.

Also, I detect in you fanboyism. You seem genuinely offended that somebody suggested the 3DS could be good and are out to prove them wrong.

We'll just see what MGS 3DS looks like.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nowhere in that commend did Kojima suggest that the 3DS was as powerful as the PS3. Model quality does not mean they're identical to the PS3 models either. Quality does not mean "yeah 3DS is as powerful as PS3 and there's no difference in the graphics". Personally, MGS3D looks really amazing. Apart from the lower polygon models and lower resolution of the 3DS, the game looks amazingly similar to MGS4. Shading, texture quality, etc are all there.

As for other game screens posted, it's unfair to compare one game to another and judge a system's capabilities based on a totally different game. Would you be retarded enough to take a screen from the DS like Giana Sisters DS, and then another from something like Dragon Quest 9, and deny that DQ9's graphics were real based on the fact that Giana Sisters' graphics were 2D and would look at home on the SNES or Sega Genesis? Hopefully not... We have a taste of what the 3DS COULD potentially do (at least). It's up to developers to decide to push the capabilities.

And chill the fuck out you guys. Seriously.

pachura

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brian10122 said:
Oh man, your grammar is so bad it simply ANNOYS me. And I'm gonna have to say your first language must not be english if you don't know what he means by high level.

Then please enlighten me, sir. What's a "high level model" in this case ?

QUOTE(Midna @ Aug 26 2010, 12:45 AM) Also, I detect in you fanboyism. You seem genuinely offended that somebody suggested the 3DS could be good and are out to prove them wrong.
We'll just see what MGS 3DS looks like.

No, I'm just trying to make an educated guess about the capabilities of 3DS, knowing Nintendo's past approach to their hardware. Fanboyism would be "OMG TEH 3DS >>> PS3 !!!!11!!1!"

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)