Hardware Hideo Kojima's quote - 3DS vs. PS3

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It seems to me that everything shown off at E3 was just a beta (Ocarina of Time is a great example, Nintendo has already stated its going to look much better, as good as Twilight Princess), and then theres Kid Icarus which was in development in January of 2009, it seems likely that the game was being worked on when the 3DS was just starting out and probably started with a weaker graphics capability.

Plus in that same interview that you quote, he also stated that if he had more time that he would have been able to make Metal Gear look far better but it was there goal to get something on the floor to show off the 3D first and foremost.

I really don't find it hard to believe that these graphics could look as good as PS3 games. Thats the thing though, Nintendo this time wasn't there to show off graphics, it was 3D first for obvious reasons.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Pachura, we're not exactly sure what Kojima meant by high level model. That's why nobody's explained it. I think he may be talking about the more important models. Like, say the alligator and Snake himself. As opposed to the scenery.

By the way it is Big Boss or Naked Snake who is the protagonist in MGS3, not Solid Snake.

HiRuMi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
DiscostewSM said:
[M said:
artin]
I think a lot of people are forgetting one crucial element of the 3DS... you know... THE 3D PART?

I think Kojima is trying to say that visually, graphics can appear very close to PS3 graphics to the human eye with the 3D functionality.

As long as your eye believes that the graphics are high-end with the aid of the 3D feature... well... it is.

Someone who hasn't experienced the 3D factor can't really speculate or argue with someone who has already had their hands on the techonolgy, experienced the 3D feature first hand, and has been working with the technology for a while.

These 2D screenshots mean almost nothing when considering the 3DS as a whole (and one of its biggest marketing features, the 3D).
^^

A picture may be worth a thousand words, but a video can be worth a thousand pictures.
smile.gif

You missed the most important part..
real experience can be worth a thousand videos...
So, vids you see of it are nothing compared to the real deal... So stop making a fuss over pics and vids of the still new and unfinished projects

worlok375

GBAtemp's prince
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
Has no one figured out that Kojima is nothing but a gigantic troll yet?

Remember his "huge announcement" he made? He's like "It's not ZoE3!" but we expected something of equal hype. Nope, it was the fucking voice cast of Lord of Shadows and how he maybe possibly kinda wants to make a Peace Walker sequel.

Kojima can suck my balls for all I care, keep making Metal Gear Solid and keep your trap closed otherwise.

Congratulations you've been marked as a troll now. (and to think, I used to respect you) Oh, and before you get any delusions, no I'm not a kojima fanboy, I've never even played any of his games.
tongue.gif

Gullwing

homo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Midna said:
Note the "though it's tough to see it" bit. He never said "The 3DS is more powerful than the PS3." He was talking about the high level models. And I think he's right. Have you seen the footage from The Naked Sample? It looks sick!

Additionally, you seem to have dilerbitely chosen two of the shittiest in development screenshots for the 3DS. Do you really think those games are pushing the limits of the hardware?
Yup I agree. You can't show the sims while kojima works on metal gear solid. The visuals are sick! Also shading techniques used on 3Ds are close to those used in ps3 and 360

SparkFenix

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
duffmmann said:
It seems to me that everything shown off at E3 was just a beta (Ocarina of Time is a great example, Nintendo has already stated its going to look much better, as good as Twilight Princess), and then theres Kid Icarus which was in development in January of 2009, it seems likely that the game was being worked on when the 3DS was just starting out and probably started with a weaker graphics capability.

Plus in that same interview that you quote, he also stated that if he had more time that he would have been able to make Metal Gear look far better but it was there goal to get something on the floor to show off the 3D first and foremost.

I really don't find it hard to believe that these graphics could look as good as PS3 games. Thats the thing though, Nintendo this time wasn't there to show off graphics, it was 3D first for obvious reasons.

To everything you just said

I now want the 3DS more than ever

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
worlok375 said:
Guild McCommunist said:

Remember his "huge announcement" he made? He's like "It's not ZoE3!" but we expected something of equal hype. Nope, it was the fucking voice cast of Lord of Shadows and how he maybe possibly kinda wants to make a Peace Walker sequel.

Kojima can suck my balls for all I care, keep making Metal Gear Solid and keep your trap closed otherwise.

Congratulations you've been marked as a troll now. (and to think, I used to respect you) Oh, and before you get any delusions, no I'm not a kojima fanboy, I've never even played any of his games.
tongue.gif
You're just figuring this out now? Heh.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
worlok375 said:
Guild McCommunist said:

tongue.gif

And to think none of you get humor. Kojima always says stuff that's completely bogus. Don't get me wrong, the man can crap out a good game when he wants a good game, but the stuff he says is a different story.

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
pachura said:
Hideo Kojima said:
The high level models are about the same quality as the stuff we made on the PlayStation 3, although it's tough to see this. If we'd had a bit more time, we could have made something better.

I know this has probably been beaten to death, but: what was he thinking ? Clearly, 3DS is noway near PS3 - no programmable shaders, no cheap antialiasing, far lower resolution, fillrate, triangles, everything. And knowing Nintendo's approach to the hardware, they will never ever put some monster overpowered CPU in their console (unlike Sony did with PSP and PS3).

Therefore, why such comment ? Was he referring to the perceived texture quality ? And what are "high level models" (is he referring to Solid Snake ?)
The 3ds was originally designed to give game developers a complex set of technologies to make 3d(non-stereoscopic) games look as good as possible.
This means it has highly advanced capabilities concerning shaders, polygon stuff and whatnot.

The troll simply meant that the models looked good, and some aspects are comparable to that of the models he made for PS3.
He obviously intended to make you think he said the 3DS is the PS3 shrunk down, but we all know that he's a troll, and that's impossible. Right?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: