Hideo Kojima discusses success of Death Stranding, says one of his recent projects was cancelled

Q83YVwt.png

Death Stranding was a success, both critically and financially, according to creator Hideo Kojima. The famous game director discussed his latest release in an interview with Livedoor, commenting on the fact that sales proved to be strong enough for Kojima Productions to make enough to recoup the development costs of the game, and to fund their next title. In terms of future projects, Kojima is still working with his team on the upcoming PC port of Death Stranding, alongside preparation for the studio's next project, which is still unannounced. That doesn't seem to be everything he's been working on lately, however, as he mentioned that he was secretly working on a "major project", but it had ended up cancelled. As for what's next for Kojima, it won't be anything involving Metal Gear or PT, apparently; when Kojima was questioned on if the rumors of him attempting to buy either IP from Konami were true, he laughed and said such rumors were a complete hoax.

:arrow: Source

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm surprised USPS In Apocalypse did as well as it did. If it were any other developer or person, it probably wouldn't have done as well.

Kojima really needs someone to bring him back down to Earth in the future, though. If this is him going all out, free from the bonds of Konami and the expectations of working on the same series, then he needs someone who can tell him your game can't be mainly you going from point A to point B. I understand that there's some strategy there as well, but it's not something as easily marketable as any MGS game, you know? Or even something cyberpunk-inspired like his pre-MGS years!

geodeath

Trophies
XP
Country
Just because something sells enough does not make it a success. If the game was as well received as any other Kojima game like the MGS series we would be talking about completely different numbers.

Its good that they managed to sell enough to secure the investment and further investment for a new project, let's just hope it will have gameplay as a target first rather than drama or trying to be a Lynch movie first.

Death Stranding and BOTW has been the only 2 games i genuinely regret buying this gen. All because i do not want to be spoiled by reviews... Hence not preordering anything anymore or buying day 1.

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Was Deadth strading a ''success''? I doubt seriously.....

Just let the numbers talk, how many copies were sold on both pc and ps4?

RanceJustice

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm glad that the game did well; Kojima taking his trademark weirdness-with-something-to-say and starting a new IP, especially one with unique mechanics, was a gamble. However, despite that I'm interested enough and plan to pick it up for PC (thankfully via Steam - I'm very glad they didn't take the Faustian bargain of working with the structure fire afflicted on open gaming that is Epic Store),t its disappointing that it is coming out so late compared to the console release.

Don't get me wrong i'm glad it is arriving at all (and fully encourage Sony and Kojima to continue PC releases), but on principle I'm opposed to exclusives-by-contract, timed or otherwise. Worse, if a game takes a significant amount of time (I can see an argument made for a month or three later release at most, if needed to provide QA/testing for PC-specific settings and features) delay before it releases on PC (if it does at all), there's sometimes an accusation (especially by Japanese studios, though this is thankfully changing) that not enough people bought the title, there was too much piracy, or something else happened that made sales come in lower than expected.

However, there is rarely any self-criticism that the core reason for less interest was that the PC release came much later and therefore was out of sync with the hype, often sold for full price despite the fact that by a year post launch discounts are expected, and other aspects (ie Catherine Classic doing poorly on PC was treated as a justification for not bringing Catherine Full Body to PC, but considering that most PC players knew that Full Body was in the works they had rather intended to just wait for the "good version" - another example of a lose-lose corporate mentality to blame this on the platform.) creates issues. Treating PC players as second-class users, yet expecting them to open their wallets in gratitude is never a good idea.

I'm sure there are many who would have loved to pick up Death Stranding on PC nearly concurrent with the rest of the launch last year, but I'm still glad its coming to PC. Hopefully KojimaProductions will create a high quality PC focused port and be reasonable regarding how they define success for the PC version.

SuperDan

Im Aware ... Im Unaware
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Say What? Again ? i love Kojima Games Since MGS1 ...
But this game was complete & utter Shit.... just a waste of effort yeah it looked purdy... & artistic but man so hyped up crap ... mehh waaa heeerrrr there is a absolute no drugs policy in Japan .... i know as i lived there .... but Magic Mushrooms are perfectly legal there... i think Kojima has abused them badly in recent years ....

Last edited by SuperDan,
Reactions: 64bitmodels

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over