Hacking Hide Homebrewchannel from wii menu

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
freddyhooge said:
Is it possible to install HBC without seeing the channel in the system menu ?
There was an app which made it possible to create hidden Channels (like the old DVDX, Eula, whatever) from WiiCrazy (I guess it was named Hide and Seek, as far as I remember). Though this probably won't help you, the HBC is very resistent against modifications, and will only greet you with errors or funny "bugs".

Also, why would you do that? If you can't see it, you also can't load it, and you would need another Homebrew, which makes the whole Stealth-Reason useless? And Ninty still could detect it anyways.

If you want this so that the kids can't acess it, simple solution: Take the SD Card/USB Drive out, or don't have any dangerous apps on the SD.

thesund0g

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Blue-K said:
Also, why would you do that? If you can't see it, you also can't load it, blah blah blah

You sure BootMii or Priiloader won't start it?
unsure.gif

lulwut

Trophies
XP
Country
thesund0g said:
Blue-K said:
Also, why would you do that? If you can't see it, you also can't load it, blah blah blah

unsure.gif
they would, but if priiloader/bootmii can start it then somebody else could STILL boot it in your place.
there is just not valid reason to hide it

just move the dangerous apps out of the apps folder on the SD/USB...

thesund0g

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
lulwut said:
thesund0g said:
Blue-K said:

unsure.gif
they would, but if priiloader/bootmii can start it then somebody else could STILL boot it in your place.
there is just not valid reason to hide it

just move the dangerous apps out of the apps folder on the SD/USB...

This might be that kid who was trying to hide HBC from his dad. Starting a channel is more obvious than starting bootmii/priiloader, so I could kinda see that doing the job.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
One option would be to patch the System Menu IOS with trucha bug (and maybe ES_DiVerify?) so you could load fakesigned channels from the SD Menu, and move HBC to the SD card, and then remove the SD card with HBC on it when you don't want people to be able to launch HBC?

EDIT: Off topic question: If you do this, will BootMii/Priiloader still be able to boot HBC? I'm gonna guess no...

thesund0g

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
SifJar said:
One option would be to patch the System Menu IOS with trucha bug (and maybe ES_DiVerify?) so you could load fakesigned channels from the SD Menu, and move HBC to the SD card, and then remove the SD card with HBC on it when you don't want people to be able to launch HBC?

EDIT: Off topic question: If you do this, will BootMii/Priiloader still be able to boot HBC? I'm gonna guess no...

I wouldn't be surprised if the later versions of HBC were resistant to that. You might be able to do it with an older version. I've never updated beyond 3.2, so no SD menu to test it on...unless you count UNEEK, but the SD menu is kinda pointless then
smile.gif

Neither bootmii nor priiloader would know to look on the SD card for the content. I believe it's stored in a different format as well, so it'd probably have to be unpacked/decrypted then loaded.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
thesund0g said:
SifJar said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the later versions of HBC were resistant to that. You might be able to do it with an older version. I've never updated beyond 3.2, so no SD menu to test it on...unless you count UNEEK, but the SD menu is kinda pointless then
smile.gif

Neither bootmii nor priiloader would know to look on the SD card for the content. I believe it's stored in a different format as well, so it'd probably have to be unpacked/decrypted then loaded.

I don't see any reason for HBC to resist being run from SD menu. That wouldn't help scammers at all, and that is the one and only reason for the HBC resisting WAD install stuff.

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The title ID doesn't use ascii characters so it can't exist as a directory on a FAT filesystem. It's also kind of nasty since if the sysmenu IOS isn't patched (or is restored in an update) the user may be left with no method to restore HBC to the NAND.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
tueidj said:
The title ID doesn't use ascii characters so it can't exist as a directory on a FAT filesystem. It's also kind of nasty since if the sysmenu IOS isn't patched (or is restored in an update) the user may be left with no method to restore HBC to the NAND.
Ah yes, didn't think of that. If you do want to try this though, you can use HBC v1.0.6, which had the previous title ID, provided you have System Menu 4.2 or below.

Nintendo_Chick

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I know hbc runs if you copy it to an sd card. I don't know if it would work if you deleted it form the system menu though but you could try.

You could also just not use hbc and install WiiXplorer with priiloader. Depending on why you are hiding it you could simply put it at the last page on the system menu, but I assume that won't work for what you need.

PeregrinFig

A miserable little pile of secrets
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I only have one idea: if your Wii is 4.0-4.2, then you could use Bannerbomb to load the HBC off a .dol. (If the HBC can't be obtained in .dol form, I'm pretty sure that alternative loader, Homebrew Filter, can) This way it would be relatively easy to load the HBC with an SD card, but impossible if it's not in the SD slot.

thesund0g

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
tueidj said:

It's stored as unicode? Or did you mean alpha (legal characters)? I know the title id appears as gibberish, I just never looked into it much further. I figured it was a string SM would choke on / pass over or something exotic like that.

lulwut

Trophies
XP
Country
thesund0g said:
tueidj said:

It's stored as unicode? Or did you mean alpha (legal characters)? I know the title id appears as gibberish, I just never looked into it much further. I figured it was a string SM would choke on / pass over or something exotic like that.
no, title i'd get stored as a unsigned 64bit hex string

elmoreas

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you just need to hide it move it to the last page on the system menu if you need to camo it (not sure if you can but ask and see) if you can change the image (be careful you don't want a banner brick) so that it looks like something innocuous. If you need it gone completely from the Wii, you are going to run into all kinds of issues and I would say either delete it or depending on why you need to hide it, try to find a way to keep it. If you are selling it that is one thing, if you parents object thats another (In that instance I would try just talking to them about it and explaining its benefits. Best of luck to you.

Elmoreas

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1