Hidden Super Punch-Out!! two-player mode discovered after 28 years

punchhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.png

You would think that everything about a game would be uncovered after millions of fans have been able to experience it for nearly 30 years, but apparently not. A Twitter account called Unlisted Cheats claims to offer video game secrets that no one has heard about before, and they certainly have delivered on that promise, after discovering hidden cheat codes for Super Punch-Out!! for the SNES.

The first code is entered by pressing Y and R on player 2's controller, while pressing Start on player 1's. This will take you to a screen where you can select free matches against any opponent of your choice, including those from the game's Special Circuit. The second code is related to the first, as you can press B and Y on player 2's gamepad after selecting a fighter, and Start on player 1's in order to unlock a two-player mode that lets a human take control of the normally CPU-controlled opponent. Both of these codes have been secrets for the 28 years since Super Punch-Out!! originally released, and even still work in recent releases of the game on the SNES Mini and on Nintendo Switch Online.

aquova

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is one of those scenarios where I imagine some kid and his friends accidentally found this and knew about it 30 years ago, not knowing they were one of the few people on the planet who did.

RowanDDR

SNES Lover
Trophies
XP
Country
Reminds me a bit of the hidden debug menus FH started re-enabling in various SNES games some years ago (Pilotwings, 3D Devil's Course Golf, Final Fight, Paladin's Quest, Tactics Ogre, UN Squadron, Wagan Paradise).

ChiefReginod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are actually lots of cheat codes in old video game magazines that, for whatever reasons, aren't listed on the usual sites. So, they're not exactly "lost," it's just that no one's taken the time to trudge through every single magazine to post the missing codes to the internet. Most of these magazines have already been preserved on retromags or archive.org.

I remember as well that there were some codes in the Tips & Tricks section of Sega Channel that haven't resurfaced since, the chief of them being a play as any enemy code in Golden Axe III. It's amazing how quickly stuff like this has been lost to the world.

N7Kopper

Lest we forget... what Nazi stood for.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This is one of those scenarios where I imagine some kid and his friends accidentally found this and knew about it 30 years ago, not knowing they were one of the few people on the planet who did.
I wonder when the Spyro 2 speedrunning community discovered how to swim in the air?
As a kid, I had such trouble with the trolley I ended up getting that orb by doing just that.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is about SUPER Punch-out, and we got people commenting on Mike Tyson and posting the code for him. WRONG GAME, genius. :whip:

makes me sad

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 🫂 +1