Hidden filthy messages from Namco discovered ?

yuyuyup

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I was examining the G+ of game translation group "Kirameki," and came across this post:

Kirameki Translations
Apr 24, 2012 - Public

Sometimes, strange things happen while translating a game.
Inside Tales of Rebirth, we found a part where the characters have to cross a cliff, and ask themselves what could they use to do it.
The answers to this question were unbelievable, involving the human genitalia and other really vulgar things.
This is in all likelihood a discarded part of the game, something that we will never see while playing, but it's somewhat disturbing to know that these things are written somewhere inside our game discs.

Tytree disapproves, just one star for this.
_________________________________________________________________________________________

Why I am relaying this information: I deem it worthy of interest.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I want an R-rated version where all those would actually be used in the game.

Also, fnord.

shortz1994

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
we found a part where the characters have to cross a cliff, and ask themselves what could they use to do it.
The answers to this question were unbelievable, involving the human genitalia and other really vulgar things.
I don't have a problem at all, with this. it's called translation. so what one word means in a different language,doesn't allways mean the same or pronounced the same.
it's not "unbelievable" or "disturbing" at all. being x military, I've seen most an have heard most. i can go into a whole philosophical thing in this page but will not.
might rub some others the wrong way with my views. but will use one example that's been said an a lot of people should know.
Spaetzle= noodle, or the lower part of the male genital.(German) pinto= no not car or bean. but means the same as spaetzle..(Brazilian). (though these are slang words, the last two). n Hebrew, the most common slang term for dick is Zayyin, pronounced just like Americans pronounce "Zion" these are just a few. (yeah i know i put the same one in here an not different exsamples, these are going off the first post at top.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
OH NO GENITALIA!

Just putting it out there, Different cultures have different things they consider taboo. Talking about body parts normally covered by undergarments is not all that taboo in Japan.

shortz1994

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OH NO GENITALIA!

Just putting it out there, Different cultures have different things they consider taboo. Talking about body parts normally covered by undergarments is not all that taboo in Japan.
nore was it when i was stationed in Germany, people changing in to bathing suites in the wide open,or sun bathing in the nude in public swimming pools or passing a billboard an seeing bra's an panties, or even topless.
i think it's more taboo here in the u.s. an i see this as a problem. not the other way around.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
it's called translation. so what one word means in a different language,doesn't allways mean the same or pronounced the same.
You're both off the mark here. It's not a visible, accessible part of the game, it's hidden in the code as an in-joke of the development team. Like leaving weird comments in the code or writing "poop" on the reverse side of a polygon that the user will never see. They do stuff like that.

//you weren't supposed to be able to see this, you know

Reactions: 1 person

yuyuyup

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
OH NO GENITALIA!

I still think it's funny they found discarded messages containing such references. Not even the Japanese players were meant to read it. Also personally I find genitalia extremely shocking and provoking.

shortz1994

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh so this is like playing a old record backwards. an hearing "satan" lol.. well thats cool.. an funny. still don't see why this is troubling. i find it amusing.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Beryl in Tales of Hearts does ask Kzuntite if he likes younger girls or even a loli. The Tales of series is filled with innuendo laden skits.

Not surprised there's hidden stuff as well as the blantant like the above.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Beryl in Tales of Hearts does ask Kzuntite if he likes younger girls or even a loli. The Tales of series is filled with innuendo laden skits.
zu5r28.png

(SNES, not PSX/GBA).

Anyways, here's a site with lots of fun content.
http://tcrf.net/The_Cutting_Room_Floor

Reactions: 4 people

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

BasedKiliK

Salt of the Earth~
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I heard that scene was just the translators taking some liberties and messing around. There's a couple other similar scenes, none of which have identical translations to the PS1 version.

Paarish

Connor's Nublet
Trophies
XP
Country
Tales Of Phantasia. That scene wasn't translated like that for the GBA version though, that's from the SNES fan-translation.

Perhaps that's due to the Snes version having a real translation instead of the pathetic GBA version?
Actually Klarth says nothing on the lines of "fucks like a tiger"
That was a little thing that DeJap did do spruce the scene up.
Still made me lol.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16