g124v17y

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all,
I've been trying to read up about nintendo ds but I can't figure it out. From what I have heard theres a lot you can do with it. I would like to be able to play dumped games, or roms, and use the internet browser. From what I have heard you can even use it as a ds to ds phone! I think that's awesome, useless, but awesome. Anyway I just got my DS and it's sweet and all but I don't know how to do what I want to do. If someone could just explain what I need and what the best products to get are it would be greatly appreciated. I haven't owned a handheld since original gameboy, but I have modded my wii and play burned games like its nobodys buisness. I want to be able to do the same with my ds.

Please help. Or just point me to a thread that can help a complete n00b!

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well personally searchign or just browsing the NDS sections wqould be a good start.

You will need a slot-1 flashcart such as an R4, G6 Real, whatever, and if you want to use the DS browser and to play GBA games, you need to get the 3-in-1 EZ expansion pack. A good place to buy all this is dealextreme.com.

Go to the review section and read up, and decide which is the best for you. I use the R4.

g124v17y

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have read up a bit but don't know what I am looking at. So i need the expansion pack and a flashcart.

My cuz plays stuff on his ds using a mini sd card. He puts it into what looks like a ds game and puts that in the ds, he also has an expansion pack in slot-2. Is this what a flashcart is?

wzeroc

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Malaysia
yup. the thing that looks like a ds game is a slot-1 flashcart, the mini(? you sure?) SD card is the card that holds game datas, while the expansion pack in slot-2 (ie. GBA slot) is a slot-2 flashcart. There are a lot of good slot-1 flashcarts and slot-2 flashcarts in the market nowadays. i think there's a comparison table somewhere in GBATemp.net...

simoonsoon

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ya basically wat a flashcart is.. either the slot-1 device or slot-2..
and it ll b easier than wii.. myself i dun even mess wif consoles but i ds is really easy, u jes buy the flash cart, download firmware, and roms n then start playin.. being cheap i only got a slot-1.. im able to run most homebrew and dumped roms. to use the opera internet browser u need an expansion pack wif ram (i think?.. most slot-2s have it tho..) n play GBA roms.. ya with only slot-1 u can only play NDS roms which is kinda lame =/ haha have FUN wif DS

g124v17y

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
could someone link me to the chart if possible? my cuz just told me that he has an r4 so im probably going to get that but still just in case could someone link it for me?

wzeroc

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Malaysia
wow, sure is a lazy person, huh? well, there's always the search button on top of the page, and it's there for some reason. then again, i'm a lazy person also, so i'd let others help you there.

Edit: here's the old one: Old Chart

while here's a more recent one: more interactive

a more recent ones with all of slot-1, don't know if there's one, sorry.

g124v17y

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol ok yea im lazy. i have a ds lite btw not a regular ds... I don't know if that matters though.

ok i found it and I'm definetly getting the R4DS.

Which expansion should I get? the Ewin or the 3 in 1? What is the expansion used for?

wzeroc

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Malaysia
for slot 2, i'm not sure. but there's one that some people prefer, ez3in1 if i'm not mistaken. i forgot what the expansion is really for, but it enables you to flash gba games into it, allowing you to play GBA games. As opposed to RAM pack, it only allows you to surf the internet with DS Browser...i think.... i have yet to buy slot-2s, so i'm quite unsure which one is which one.

Anyway, forgot to say this: Welcome to GBATemp.net, and good luck in staying here over the holidays.

g124v17y

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks lol.

Well from what I've just read, 3-in-1 is more popular, but only cause the ewin just came out. I'm not really interested in gba games, only ds so I suppose it doesn't matter.

g124v17y

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello everyone again! So I was reading about some stuff, and I just ordered my 2gb flash card, my R4DS, and my expansion pack.

Now what do I have to do to start playing games, and get the browser, and the other cool stuff?

DarkAura

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Start a topic here.

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showforum=113

And for the formal welcome, welcome to GBAtemp!
grog.gif

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. Find site with ROMs(you cant discuss this here or asks for links to places)
2. Get rudolphs 3-in-1 tool

Thats all you'll need to do now.

D

Deleted User

Hello g124v17y (how to pronounce that?) and since the other forum members already did an amazing job on helping you out, I'm just here to say welcome.
grog.gif

g124v17y

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks everyone. You've all been a great help and I really appreciate it. I will use edit instead of fast reply now ;-). and I'm just waiting for my stuff to come in the mail now. Again, thanks.

BTW it's pronounced gravity

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1