Hacking Hi Everyone....I'm New!!!!!

420Smiles

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm new to this, so don't break the ninja's out on me......lol.
I'm coming over from the xbox scene, so modding isn't new to me...but DS modding is.

1- Can I flash my DS with FlashMe?( using GnM)
2- If I do flash it with FlashMe, what else do I need to backup my DS games.
3- I have ver. 1 firmware
4- will I need a SuperCard to run my backups or will they run from GnM card?

Yes...I know GnM sucks, but since the DLDI patcher was released for it...it will run emulators and moonshell, so why not backups (after flashing)?

And before someone screams piracy......Ive been on xbox modding for years now and haven't pirated. All I need to do is backup what I own.....but why back it up if you cant use the backups.........feel me?

420Smiles

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
has anyone found out how the GnM recognizes file size? if it limits file size, that means something tells it to, it should be a way to somehow change the size limit therefore allowing the backup to be ran.

by only responding about backups,....I assume I can Flash with GnM....right?
Will the last release of FlashMe work on my ver.1 firmware?

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can install the latest version of FlashMe on your v1 DS with the GnM, yes. I'm not 100% sure that the autorecovery code will work on it, though I don't see why it wouldn't. Since you've got a Phat though, you should be fine as long as you keep the DS plugged in.

I think the 4 MB limitation is more of a hardware limitation than a software limit. It's probably only capable of launching a game by loading the entire binary into the DS's 4 MB of RAM and executing it. This works fine for homebrew, since that's how homebrew has always been run. Commercial DS games are 8 MB or larger, so this cannot be done.

420Smiles

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what I've read, and the things said here.......I think I'm going to use the GnM to flash my firmware with FlashMe.
After flashing I wont need a NoPass device....so I can just get a SuperCard to run my backups on, seeing as how it also provides extra RAM. This would work....right?

The good news is with just the GnM....I'm now running DsOrganize, MoonShell,+ DSComicVeiwer. Nice to be able to play around with this thing.

P.S.- I seen this site has a section for other platforms.....so if anyone has Xbox Questions, I may be able to help. PM me or send me an email or just put it in the forum and I'll start checking it out......

Thanks for all the help.

Sticks

Trophies
XP
Country
Err, not in this case. It's much easier to just get a slot-1 flashcart for what he's wanting.

QUOTE said:
After flashing I wont need a NoPass device....so I can just get a SuperCard to run my backups on, seeing as how it also provides extra RAM. This would work....right?

By nopass device, i'm assuming you're planning to get a slot-2 solution? They're mostly outdated, and have a lack of support. You would only need a slot-2 nowadays for extra RAM and the ability to run GBA - the ez-flash V 3 in 1 does this fine - $20 from dealextreme.com, $33ish from realhotstuff.com. No need to flash your DS either.

And yes, it's possible to back-up slot-1 games without a slot-2 cart. It's on these forums somewhere.

grimmyx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would just buy a Slot-1 device if I was you. It covers all of the things like having to get a NoPass or whatever, and it also allows you to not have to use flashme. However, along with a slot-1 device, i would suggest you install flashme anyway so that your ds is protected; then you won't have to worry about homebrew hurting your ds and stuff
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.