Hardware Hi everyone i wish to sli and need help finding a mobo

kjb1686

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi i have recently came into some money and can spend 500 dollars on a mobo and graphics card maybe a little more i would like to sli. I have a i5 processor and nvidia gtx 460 card. I can list everything also i may get a new case the one i have is nice but i could do better could you help me find the right parts.

I have a i3 not a i5 i mispoke

marcus134

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
sli, in your case seems rather hard to recommend as you would have to purchase a new mobo, case and possibly a new psu too, you're talking to spend 300-350$ on your comp only to fit an extra 150$ piece of hardware in it, that doesn't really seem efficient money spending at all.

I get the idea that spending an extra 150$ can get you to the near gtx580 performances but it only works in some selected games only, well most of the big commercial release.

The first problem with that idea is power consumption, the duo will burn 320w of power this mean that you need a 650w psu minimum or in the 700+ ideally, with 4 6pin connectors (100$+).

The second problem is that 320w is a hell lot of heat and your gonna need a way of getting that heat out if you don't want to cook you pc, the first solution would be to play with your case open with a house fan blowing into it or purchasing a performance oriented case ( way over 100$).

The third problem, micro stuttering, it's caused by varying time lapse between frame, some people are more sensitive to it than others, also the degree of the stuttering vary with different games.

your best solution would be to purchase an hd 7870 (350$), it consume only 15w more than a gtx 460, it has performances nearing the gtx 580 in every game ( not just the sli/cf certified games only), no micro-stuttering, no mobo upgrade, supports DX11.1 ( latest revision of directx - 460 doesn't)

kjb1686

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay actually after i posted this and thought about it for a little while i decided to hold off until my card cant run anything any more and then buy one. I would still like a new case seeing as the one i have doesnt work really well and everything, also i need a mobo seeing as my rma failed so i can spend 150-200 on a new one, okay i think that is everything i need help with now links.

Here is the case i was looking into http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129021 Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel
The mobo i found that i was considering if you can help me find a better one at a lower price great. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131701 ASUS P8P67 DELUXE (REV 3.0)

I guess the thought of money clouded my judgement and made me want to go out and buy all new parts all i really need is a new mobo and case, i will be set after that.

kjb1686

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well technically it was a 85 dollar asrock that died on me and as of right now i just got it back and it is sitting on the table not going to bother with it. It was a asrock z68m/usb 3 mobo that died and once again i may give asrock a chance but it is very slim i am not going to attempt a asrock again for a while.

Berthenk

Epitome of Awesomeness
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ah, yes, personal experiences do count, I guess. Though you just might've had some ill luck there.
Was going to suggest trying the old motherboard again but seeing as it needed RMA I don't think it's such a good idea.

kjb1686

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good luck i had terrible problem with newegg rma apparently thermal paste was on the cpu socket but i dont see any, so either they cleaned it off or something. There is also the problem of bent cpu socket pins they said several i only see one that looks like it can be out of place but i dont know.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Sup