Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
HGSS - Kris as Female Protagonist

Rom info:
Hack of: Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver (USA)
Language: English
Current Version: 2.0
Last Updated: 18th July, 2012

Summary
This is a simple hack of HGSS, where Lyra is replaced by Kris, the female protagonist introduced in Pokémon Crystal. There are a few minor glitches, but these are mostly negligible. All that is changed in this patch is the graphics, as well as any mention of 'Lyra' with 'Kris'.

Screenshots:
kris10144082.png
kris10183507.png
kris10324337.png
kris104823019o.png
kris105166.png
kris102332547.png
kris105732462.png
kristest4722861.png
kristest3422623.png
kristest45216385.png

Videos:

Credits:
Tools used:
• Hex Workshop (hex editing many things)
• CrystalTile2 (graphics editing)
• PokeTEX (graphics editing)
• thenewpoketext (text editing)
• Tile Molester (graphics editing)
• PPRE (compiling rom)
• Kiwi (NDS file extractor)
• Pokémon DS/Pic Platinum (graphics editing)
• Windows 7 Paint (graphics editing)
• Windows XP Paint (retains palette of exported battle sprite image – allows me to copy and paste a new sprite into the game over the temporary sprites without worrying about palette screw-ups)
• Corel PaintShop Photo Pro X3 (compiling graphics to 8bpp)
• Xdelta (creating patch)
• DeSmuME (testing game on computer)
• Pokesav HGSS (editing save file for testing purposes)

Kimba616 - DeviantArt – for making all the Kris sprites. Link

S-Laughtur - DeviantArt – for making the full-art Kris sprite in the intro. Link

Someone – a kind anon on 4chan sent me his work on a rom hack like this one, entitled 'Pokemon SpiritCrystal', from which I extracted Kris' backsprites from.

Bugs:
- The backsprite will temporarily revert to Lyra's palette when entering a Wild battle, though it corrects itself soon after. I don't quite know why, but it is exhibited in the video.
- Trainer Card sprite and the overworld sprite shown when naming your character is still Lyra. I don't know where the sprites are located, but they will be changed if I can find them.
- The large art mugshot in the intro is still Lyra, but this is because I haven't found one made for Kris. When one is made, I'll replace it.

Changelog:
- Version 2 - Most bugs fixed, added more supplemental sprites, and corrected compatibility with both versions.
- Version 1 - pretty much everything except that which is listed in the Bugs section

Downloads and Documentation:
Link to patch and xdelta (used to patch the original rom)

Reactions: 1 person

Yatashi Strife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was thinking of doing a sprite hack for kriss a few months ago for my second playthrough of heartgold, what a coincidence! Thanks OP this is so awesome! i will definitely be getting this!

GameGeek

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Why is her hair black rather than light blue?
Game_Freak_Kris.jpg
C_Kris.png
C_Kris_Back.png

I think that's probably why. And I assume you meant "why isn't her hair black rather than light blue?"

No I didn't. She has blue/green hair in Crystal and most of her official artwork and black in this hack. And the artwork in your post lies despite being official:
Crystal_Kris.png
Cryskris.png

Marina_Johto.png

And the sprites you posted depict her with blue hair :sleep:

Comparison:

C_Kris.png
GSC_SuperNerd.png
GSC_PokeManiac.png

C_Kris_Back.png
GSC_Dude_Back.png

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
She does have blue hair in this hack, I'm not quite understanding the question :blink:
The blue is much too dark. It's lighter in every official artwork and her sprite from the original Crystal.
I don't think anything's wrong with it, it looks similar enough to the original Krys from Crystal (all of her sprites have a darker shade), while also being of a similar shade as the original artwork and Crystal from Pokemon Special. In fact, the only one things that have her with a lighter shade are two pictures. Her anime counterpart also has light blue hair, as well, but I think it's fine as it is.

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
She does have blue hair in this hack, I'm not quite understanding the question :blink:
The blue is much too dark. It's lighter in every official artwork and her sprite from the original Crystal.
I don't think anything's wrong with it, it looks similar enough to the original Krys from Crystal (all of her sprites have a darker shade), while also being of a similar shade as the original artwork and Crystal from Pokemon Special. In fact, the only one things that have her with a lighter shade are two pictures. Her anime counterpart also has light blue hair, as well, but I think it's fine as it is.
I don't find anything wrong with it either. I was just trying to explain the problem that Gamegeek had with it.

ascension7

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I see what you mean now. I can make a version with lighter hair, although I'll wait to do so until I replace every sprite 100% correctly (the slight glitches in the video, as well as the front sprites, which didn't appear when I replaced them... so I'll have to figure that out too). After that, it will only require a mere palette swap. I didn't make the sprites by the way, just in case anyone thinks I did. I gave credit to the author in the description, wouldn't have been possible without him/her :D

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I see what you mean now. I can make a version with lighter hair, although I'll wait to do so until I replace every sprite 100% correctly (the slight glitches in the video, as well as the front sprites, which didn't appear when I replaced them... so I'll have to figure that out too). After that, it will only require a mere palette swap. I didn't make the sprites by the way, just in case anyone thinks I did. I gave credit to the author in the description, wouldn't have been possible without him/her :D
I've been wondering...

What video? There was never one linked or embedded in the opening post.

ascension7

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I've been wondering...

What video? There was never one linked or embedded in the opening post.
Ugh, for some reason, any video I post on this website gets removed.. let's try again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLfPZUmL6h8

ascension7

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
New patch is up! Changes detailed in changelog in original post.

Interesting note: while I was searching the rom for the location of the mini-sprite used to denote the location of the player on the Town Map, I found a file with the icons of the playable characters, Raikou, Entei, and Suicine (as expected). But, instead of Lyra, it had a blue-haired female, which I assume is Kris. I'm not sure if this has been found by anyone before, but it's confirmation that Game Freak did in fact have Kris in the game at one point (or at least used her as a debug for the map icons). Just thought this was pretty cool :D The file is located in a/1/4/2 for anyone that's interested (in Tinke, it's file 22 IIRC). This Kris mini-icon is the one used in the patch, and is pictured in the original post.

Let me know if you find any other bugs not noted in the original post!

Drayano

Trophies
XP
Country
You might actually be able to, I have a feeling I haven't touched any of the files ascension would have needed for this so if you're given the files then a little insertion could do it for you.

Well, there's one slight issue because I did insert a fair few trainer sprites and assuming Kris was given a new sprite on the trainer card, then there's a bit of a problem. It could probably be fixed easily enough, but hmm...

ascension7

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
You might actually be able to, I have a feeling I haven't touched any of the files ascension would have needed for this so if you're given the files then a little insertion could do it for you.

Well, there's one slight issue because I did insert a fair few trainer sprites and assuming Kris was given a new sprite on the trainer card, then there's a bit of a problem. It could probably be fixed easily enough, but hmm...
I actually wasn't able to get the sprite on the trainer card to change. I replaced the front sprite I found for Lyra, but I guess it was only the one used in-battle. I also changed the text and replaced Lyra with Kris. I can list the files changed and which graphics exist in them so that you can replace them in other games. I can actually just make a specific patch able to be used on a patched version of SGSS.

Drayano

Trophies
XP
Country

I actually wasn't able to get the sprite on the trainer card to change. I replaced the front sprite I found for Lyra, but I guess it was only the one used in-battle. I also changed the text and replaced Lyra with Kris. I can list the files changed and which graphics exist in them so that you can replace them in other games. I can actually just make a specific patch able to be used on a patched version of SGSS.

I'd be happy with that :P Although it might break every time I update... hopefully I'll only need to once more.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: byes