HG/SS Pokesav Editing for Transfer to Retail Copy

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by freedom16, Apr 29, 2010.

1. freedom16
    OP

Newcomer freedom16 Newbie

United States
    I am looking to backup my Heart Gold save from my CycloDS and transferring it to a retail cartridge with NDS Adapter Plus (with a little Pokesav editing). But I'm not sure how trainer IDs, Secret IDs, and so on, work. For instance, if IDs are rom specific, I would rather keep the IDs from the retail cartridge. So, my question is: How do IDs work? Are they cartridge specific? If so, what all do I need to edit of my rom save before I transfer it to the retail cartridge. For instance, I was thinking (if necessary) of changing my IDs to match that of the retail cartridge (but that would mean having to change the IDs for all my pokemon as well). Could somebody list what I would need to change in my rom save to make it seem like I played the whole game on the retail cartridge? Any help is appreciated.

2. NDStemp

Member NDStemp GBAtemp?! No! NDStemp

Canada
    IDs and secret IDs are randomly created each time you start a new game. If you want to use your ID and secret ID from your real copy of HGSS, just trade over a Pokemon you've caught in the real one and trade it you your flashcart one and check the IDs on that.

3. freedom16
    OP

United States
    Hmm. If they are randomly created, couldn't that result in people with the same IDs (causing problems with trades)? Isn't the point of the Secret ID to act as a backup just in case people end up with the same ID by having same name, gender, etc? Also, if this is the case, then I probably wouldn't need to bother with using the retail cart's info then, huh? I could just transfer the save over in it's pure form?

4. coolbho3000

Member coolbho3000 GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic

AFAIK saves can't be written to the HG/SS cart without some hardware hacking.

5. freedom16
    OP

United States
  6. coolbho3000

IDs and secret IDs are tied to your save so restoring your save should restore both correctly. If you choose a different secret ID your pokemon won't be considered "yours" by the game (eg. they will gain trade XP, won't obey if you don't have enough badges).

7. freedom16
    OP

United States
    So, if I were to transfer my rom save to a retail cart as is, it wouldn't conflict with anyone else's IDs/Games (i.e. those who also used the rom)?

8. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    The ID is based on your savegame...
    Not your retail cart, not your ROM, not your NDS.

Every time you make a new game you get a new ID.

9. freedom16
    OP

United States
    That applies to the secret ID as well? And basically every other stat? If so, I guess I should just copy the whole save over in its entirety and it should be fine. If that's true, thanks.

10. coolbho3000

Every ROM is identical, saves are the only things that vary. The ID and Secret ID are generated by the game using a pseudo random number generator every time you start a new game.

11. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    I'll elaborate on that...

ROM stands for Read Only Memory. The retail cart you buy has a ROM on it.
    The game you download is actually a ROM image -- a copy, or dump, of the ROM.

There are certain things that companies can do to make the ROM harder to get/emulate... like some games that have special hardware chips for sound, but I believe that makes the games cost considerably more to produce so it's usually only found on popular series. I'm not sure if there are any games like that for the DS though.

12. freedom16
    OP

United States
    Thanks a lot! It all makes sense now. I don't know why I didn't think of it that way.

13. clashthunder

Newcomer clashthunder Advanced Member

United States
    there's pokesav for the flashkarts btw