Hardware Hey guys, how is everyone coping with their switch !?

leonmagnus99

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
Happy not so happy, please leave me your thoughts.

and i myself have some questions , and some small thing that actually has annoyed me.

first the thing that annoyed me is, when i want to power the console off i have to manually go to the dock (i myself will be playing mostly on the tv!) and to manually go there to turn it off and back on can be kind of hassly.

heck even the WiiU could be powered on/off with the controller.
so what i hope for is that Nintendo works on some type of update to allow us to switch the Switch off with the controller.

that is my only complaint so far, the other thing would be my thoughts, i think this console has surely kind of been rushed, but i still love it and i hope we get lots of games for it in the future to come.

other than all that, i have one question regarding charging the Switch tablet, so i noticed that even when i had it powered off and placed into the dock it was charging, and if i have the joy cons attached to the switch tablet are they also charged while the switch is off ?

and also, does it not affect the lifespan of the battery if lets say i am playing the majority of the time on my TV and thus i have the Switch tablet sticked to the dock nearly all the time ?
thanks.

leonmagnus99

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
Why turn it off? Why not just let it sleep?

about sleep mode , how long will it stay on ?

i never worry about leaving my vita in sleep mode as that thing can stay in sleep mode for weeks and still have some charge left.

but i just recently got my switch and i do not want to make it work too hard i guess? XD

i always baby my consoles when i first buy them ,nothing new.
but yes, and like i am paranoid on leaving it always in the dock while the ac adapter is connected in the plug.

but i always switch it off from the wall (like unplugging it from wall, i do not unplug the cables though, we have some switches on the wall , i just turn those off so that no power goes into my electronic devices, such as my other consoles/tv etc.)

i always do this just for safety measures.
and paranoid about the switch because when it is docked it is constantly charging, but supposedly when it reaches 100% it stops giving it amps i guess.
i think i'll get used to it.

but for now i just need some game , i had bomberman but i returned it after watching some trailers on yt. the way the game plays got me dizzy ,from the bird angle view.
sadly the store had Zelda sold out, but it is back on amazon, might as well order it sometime soon.
for the time being i may buy something cheap off eshop.

Mr. Wizard

Ending the spread of bullshit one thread at a time
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

i never worry about leaving my vita in sleep mode as that thing can stay in sleep mode for weeks and still have some charge left.

but i just recently got my switch and i do not want to make it work too hard i guess? XD

i always baby my consoles when i first buy them ,nothing new.
but yes, and like i am paranoid on leaving it always in the dock while the ac adapter is connected in the plug.

but i always switch it off from the wall (like unplugging it from wall, i do not unplug the cables though, we have some switches on the wall , i just turn those off so that no power goes into my electronic devices, such as my other consoles/tv etc.)

i always do this just for safety measures.
and paranoid about the switch because when it is docked it is constantly charging, but supposedly when it reaches 100% it stops giving it amps i guess.
i think i'll get used to it.

but for now i just need some game , i had bomberman but i returned it after watching some trailers on yt. the way the game plays got me dizzy ,from the bird angle view.
sadly the store had Zelda sold out, but it is back on amazon, might as well order it sometime soon.
for the time being i may buy something cheap off eshop.

Not sure how long it will stay in sleep mode, longer than a couple days I know that for sure. I wouldn't be too worried it was designed to be in sleep mode not powered off, it will only charge when it needs it same as any smart device like laptop or phone. You should always save your game before walking away even if it is docked. Luckily the Zelda game is very good at autosaving for you.

You should pick up Zelda, it's a great game. Some people are a bit overwhelmed by the shear size of the world but worry not, you will get used to it. If you find yourself getting too distracted by all the stuff you can do just focus on the main quests like finding memories and shrines and towers stables and villages. You don't have to explore every single nook and cranny, that is of course unless you want to. :P

Last edited by Mr. Wizard,

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol. I know most electronics don't have display clocks anymore but I just envisioned an entertainment center with half a dozen components all blinking 12:00.

If you are truely in Iraq i understand the power might not always be the most stable in which case I can understand wanting your electronics all shut down. So leaving the Switch in sleep without power will slowly drain the battery. Best to just power down in that case. I would say something about First World Problem but I suppose that would be inappropriate in this case.:rolleyes:

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You have to get up to charge the Joy Cons anyway, but is there no "power off" on the home menu?
Imo I don't see why so many people seem upset by this. Like "oh no I have to get off my arse and take a few steps". But some people are completely shook by this idea.
I do believe we'll see this implemented eventually though, which would be handy. Maybe add it to the quick settings menu, or replace the sleep button in main menu with a general power settings menu. But imo they are trying to get you to leave it in sleep mode. Similar to how Microsoft removed hibernate option by default because their new shutdown method provided similar startup times to hibernating.

Reactions: leonmagnus99

jpx86

Trophies
XP
Country
Just hold down the home button - a menu slides out after about a second and the first item is Sleep.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
NO problems here
first the thing that annoyed me is, when i want to power the console off i have to manually go to the dock (i myself will be playing mostly on the tv!) and to manually go there to turn it off and back on can be kind of hassly.
hold down home button
heck even the WiiU could be powered on/off with the controller.
this can too
so i noticed that even when i had it powered off and placed into the dock it was charging, and if i have the joy cons attached to the switch tablet are they also charged while the switch is off ?
yes
and also, does it not affect the lifespan of the battery if lets say i am playing the majority of the time on my TV and thus i have the Switch tablet sticked to the dock nearly all the time ?
thanks.
my wiiu has been it's it's charging cradle most of it's life...it still charges :P

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

until you power on the device

leonmagnus99

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
Lol. I know most electronics don't have display clocks anymore but I just envisioned an entertainment center with half a dozen components all blinking 12:00.

If you are truely in Iraq i understand the power might not always be the most stable in which case I can understand wanting your electronics all shut down. So leaving the Switch in sleep without power will slowly drain the battery. Best to just power down in that case. I would say something about First World Problem but I suppose that would be inappropriate in this case.:rolleyes:

yes mate, i truly live in iraq (northern region, known as Kurdistan) and the power here is horrendous.

You have to get up to charge the Joy Cons anyway, but is there no "power off" on the home menu?
yep no power off on the home menu, if they do not add this option sometime soon in an update, i may go nuts.
XD

NO problems here

hold down home button

this can too

yes

my wiiu has been it's it's charging cradle most of it's life...it still charges :P

until you power on the device

wow, the joy cons will charge attached to the tablet even while the tablet is turned off ?that is neat, but i have not seen any options to turn off the switch with a controller, or using the hold home for a few seconds /quick settings menu.

that way you can only put the switch to sleep, the only way for the time being is to turn it off manually from the console itself.

Nemix77

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm not a fan of the color temperature of the screen (too cool, bluish tint).

However viewing angle is great, screen is very bright (I use auto brightness and even then I have it few ticks down from maximum), ghosting and input lag is unnoticeable (minimal).

Mr. Wizard

Ending the spread of bullshit one thread at a time
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

puss2puss

.. well ..
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The material is pretty cheap compared to what Ninten usually use.. they said they will redo the dock, so i think people should wait the upgrades before buying this toy.

geodeath

Trophies
XP
Country
Personal things (obviously) i do not like so far:

1. If you play handheld and you are laying down, if you charge using the supplied cable, you have a massive cable going downwards from the console, so this will either lead to a broken cable if you rest it on it, or tired hands by keeping the switch higher, to avoid it - bad ergonomics

2. everything is so so so small. I am not a big person myself, yet everything, all the buttons and the sticks are really small. I cannot see myself playing too much with the joycons when at the tv, so pro controller essential - more money down the drain (as i predicted before release).

3. The right joycon has that very strange positioning of the stick/buttons, where when i want to push the buttons i inevitably touch the stick. More bad ergonomics here, again, predicted before launch.

4. The stand is just insanely hard to pull out. I literally had to look on youtube for people taking it out, out of fear i am doing it wrong and that i will break it. Still seems inhumanely impossible to pull out without some sort of help (credit card, etc) so not sure again about ergonomics here.

5. Dock is essentially useless, they could have gone with a simple breakout box for all the connections instead. This would make the switch fit in any situation. I can literally only put it on the floor, as the only other option is to put it in front (or back) of the tv in the current mode. Also, there is no reason for the dock really if you think about it, they only did it to make people thing this is a home console as well as a portable, when it is really a portable console with a tv out, when connected to the dock. Perhaps 3rd parties will come along with a more logical dock/breakout box that will allow you to position everything in a better way, ensuring the switch does not heat up as well, as there is practically zero reasons to enclose your switch in a case that heats it up more for almost no possible gain.

All of these are strictly personal obviously. Size of sticks and buttons and overall ergonomics are the most important for me which is why i am getting a pro controller. No way can i spend too many hours on the joycons. Fine for short time i guess.

leonmagnus99

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
The material is pretty cheap compared to what Ninten usually use.. they said they will redo the dock, so i think people should wait the upgrades before buying this toy.
i agree, sure does feel cheap and toyish.

but i will be okay with it as long as it lasts.

2 comments above, i agree with the screen being abit too blue'ish.
there are however 2 types of people, there are cool people and there are warm people.

i happen to be one of the warm ones, i prefer warm color temperature, i googled alot regarding tv screens and screens in general.
the warm /piss yellow colored calibrated ones tend to be closer to rec709 ( i believe this is the gamma thing, that is how it looks on when they are making games on pc for instance, it is mostly warm when they are making it, but when you play on your tv , most tvs come with those standard/dynamic picture settings and they tend to be very blue).

it is basically too much blue tint, but i am fine with the switch screen, it does not look too much blueish thankfully.

WiiU gamepad however is quiet alot warmer looking to me.

puss2puss

.. well ..
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Personal things (obviously) i do not like so far:

1. If you play handheld and you are laying down, if you charge using the supplied cable, you have a massive cable going downwards from the console, so this will either lead to a broken cable if you rest it on it, or tired hands by keeping the switch higher, to avoid it - bad ergonomics

2. everything is so so so small. I am not a big person myself, yet everything, all the buttons and the sticks are really small. I cannot see myself playing too much with the joycons when at the tv, so pro controller essential - more money down the drain (as i predicted before release).

3. The right joycon has that very strange positioning of the stick/buttons, where when i want to push the buttons i inevitably touch the stick. More bad ergonomics here, again, predicted before launch.

4. The stand is just insanely hard to pull out. I literally had to look on youtube for people taking it out, out of fear i am doing it wrong and that i will break it. Still seems inhumanely impossible to pull out without some sort of help (credit card, etc) so not sure again about ergonomics here.

5. Dock is essentially useless, they could have gone with a simple breakout box for all the connections instead. This would make the switch fit in any situation. I can literally only put it on the floor, as the only other option is to put it in front (or back) of the tv in the current mode. Also, there is no reason for the dock really if you think about it, they only did it to make people thing this is a home console as well as a portable, when it is really a portable console with a tv out, when connected to the dock. Perhaps 3rd parties will come along with a more logical dock/breakout box that will allow you to position everything in a better way, ensuring the switch does not heat up as well, as there is practically zero reasons to enclose your switch in a case that heats it up more for almost no possible gain.

All of these are strictly personal obviously. Size of sticks and buttons and overall ergonomics are the most important for me which is why i am getting a pro controller. No way can i spend too many hours on the joycons. Fine for short time i guess.
^ this! 100% true!
What you named here, is exactly one of the biggest bundle of true 'flaw' if i may call it like that, since it is stuff that was better before..imo, its called flaws :P

I dont know why they retrograded their console.. usually BigN makes better products, but i guess budjet has been strech to maximum by the new ceo, wich is a 'bank' person who should get fired but it wont happen since it doesnt work like this but meh...
Imo:
-the dock should be less cheap and having soft slider pads
-joysticks doesnt feel good, the height and the form..
-it should be dual-screen compatible
-the joycon's slider cover shouldnt be able to slide from the other side, it could have a 'blockage' right before sliding it. (dont forget its not always adults that plays..and children are more careless..)
-the charging cable shouldnt be at the bottom, you cant put it on the stand if charging..
-cartriges should taste like candy .. .. ..

i think its funny that Nintendew coated their cartriges with anti biting nail product to avoid that children eats them, but they didnt make the joycons thinking that children might slide the protecter the opposite side, and that they will scratch the screen easyly when docking the console .. i mean c'mon, do they expected children to stand still in front of the dock and slide it realllly carefully? lol.. they had the tought about children when making cartriges..so why didnt they buil the switch with children in toughts?

Other then that it is a perfect console! lol..
Honestly, i think right now the switch is a flaw itself, but i think with time it will become a great console! But for now, it feels like the wiiU's a better option if you want to have a complete product.
Make nintendo good again.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

WiiU gamepad however is quiet alot warmer looking to me.
I agree!
The first wiiU i had, i disnt really like the size of the gamepad and it lookid like a big toy.,..but now, this morning i just got another wiiU and wow i forgot how good it feels in the hand! The gamepad actually feels way more robust then i remembered!
Right now, i love my wiiU 100% more then my first ones :P feels solid .

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ahh.
I got no real problems.
Was a bit disapointed that i cant turn the system off via gui. But tje system has a sleep mods and ot works out good to. It doesnt use much power and when its awoken its very fast and you can pick up right where you left off.

The joycons are on. The strap doesnt add much to it for sideways play and it still feels a bit off. But its workable for mutli play.

Also it you look at the strap its easy to see which way they go on.
But yes making them only fit oneway would be a good thing but from a design point it might be harder to do then said.

Reactions: puss2puss
S

Saiyan Lusitano

Ever since launch day I've set the Switch to Sleep Mode so when I come back, getting into Zelda is quicker than ever. :)

Wiisel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Overall I like the system my only gripes so far are:
Docked:
The left stick has a tendency to click down causing me to crouch at the most inconvenient of times in BotW more a user issue but it sucks.
Left stick lag - I'm often unintentionally wandering in BotW
random controller disconnects - not really that much of a problem so far as it takes a second to reconnect
Location - there just really isn't a good place for me to locate it with the crappy BT connection and being a vertical stand I'm not too sure on mounting it horizontally and heat dissipation.

Un-docked
not very ergonomic or grippy - it could do with some form of rubberised coating and grips

The Dock
Its marked my screen and I've only used it three times and now I have two square smudge marks where the two rubbers sit, other than that I cannot see how people are getting the long scratches they are posting without putting it in angled or backwards as apart from the two rubber pads near the bottom there is no contact with the screen.

The Joycon slide on things
They are just complete crap and offer no benefit - I put them back in the box after fighting with removing the first one.

Lack of Documentation

There really is a huge lack of documentation in with games and the actual hardware - its not like paper doesn't grow on trees

Pretty much nothing I cant fix for myself if Nintendo refuse to offer solutions with the most major fixes being to add antenna to the left joycon and modifying the dock.
Its hard for me to say if it has or has not met expectations as I purchased it on a whim having never seen a video or anything about the system they just happened to have stock showing on the ninty store the day after release when I was looking for a NES Mini.

Reactions: Saiyan Lusitano

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night